Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Where do those crashes come from?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Quote:So then get to fixing it

The fix is a fifo revert. Which the dev team will never do for obvious reasons. Especially if they themselves cannot reproduce the crashes.
Soooo that's it? No one's gonna fix it and Dolphin will always have this issue? Cuz then pretty much all the future development of Dolphin kinda looks in vain in my eyes :-| I'ma gonna stick to pre-r7185 releases...
(08-21-2011, 04:06 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]Soooo that's it? No one's gonna fix it and Dolphin will always have this issue? Cuz then pretty much all the future development of Dolphin kinda looks in vain in my eyes :-| I'ma gonna stick to pre-r7185 releases...

I'm also having problems with crashing on a system that's more than capable. Hopefully it will be looked into in the future, because after seeing my games in HD I really don't want to go back, but if it insists on crashing as often as it has I don't see myself using it. Glad to see the issue being brought up. Tongue
That's strange. I don't have much games, but I've played some Brawl on 3.0 and never got a single crash. ZTP hanged at a precise spot (transition between Zora domain -> throne room), but it doesn't on r7695...
All of this looks kinda random.
Yeah, it IS very random, that's one of the problems *g* Some games crash more often than others...maybe some won't crash at all...I guess that depends on what the emulator needs to do for each game and maybe the "functions" which are broken aren't used in all games.
I have to admit I was pretty harsh on some of the revisions post 3.0 earlier in the thread having not had to go through the broken states that some would make. I had always used revisions and not stable builds.(unwittingly anyway) And untill recently I have been lucky I guess.

I have noticed that if I use Dolphin 3.0 from a fresh boot I can go for hours in a game(s) without a crash. But if my comp is up for days and usually is, the frequency of crashes increase.

overall I have lost playability on 3 games when using post 3.0 revisions but gained playability on so much more. It is a trade off I would take again.

Not a code monkey, but would imagine that something is being corrupted during extended up time. Is that possible?
In SMG, I basically tried every setting I could think about, even JitIL and Lock threads to cores, to no avail... Dolphin ALWAYS freezes after the first or second Power Star retrieved.

Only ONE time playing Dolphin didn't freeze, but I tried playing again the next day with the very same settings and it froze right after the first Power Star.

And to make matters worse, no one here seems to be gettin' these damn freezes =/

Will try dumping the game again, it's my last chance.

I also noticed that Dolphin freezes if the game is left paused for too long. BUT... This always happened, with all revisions I tried to this date, since 48XX, 2.0 and 3.0.

More than 5 minutes paused, with no input, and... freeze.
I've had a lot of problems with the emulator in general, crashing being a big problem but overall glitchy behavior the whole way through for me. Performance probably varies from computer to computer but for me it's been not so great... crashes are very sporadic, but keep happening. So I'd like to take the chance just to elaborate on all the issues I've had:

F-Zero GX: Haven't played much, crashed once, occasional lag
Minna no Rythm Tengoku: Some slowdown at specific spots, blank screen at Remix 6
Zelda Four Swords Adventures: Great, no crashes, some graphical glitches though.
Luigi's Mansion: Crashes sometimes.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: Crashes sometimes, no BG music
Mario Party 4: No crashing, some texture and audio glitches.
Metroid Prime: Crashes make the game unplayable, odd audio glitch underwater
Metroid Prime 2: Runs worst out of all the games, constant crashing, audio and visual glitches.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii: Coins don't rotate unless EFB Copies are set to RAM, at which point the game runs at 50% speed or less and is likely to crash. No problems otherwise with it set to Texture (yet).
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door: A lot of visual glitches, only played for a few minutes but I'd guess it's capable of crashing.
Pikmin 2: Runs great, but crashes.
SSX 3: BG Music doesn't play, intro looks messed up. Otherwise fine.
Star Fox Adventures: Laggy, crashed once or twice so far. Voices are off-sync in cutscenes.
Star Fox Assault: Wasn't worth it. The game is terrible. Tongue
Animal Crossing: Perfect
Super Mario Sunshine: Crashes, otherwise fine.
Super Smash Bros. Melee: Some slowdown, have't played much. I think it may have crashed once though.
Zelda Wind Waker: Other than the smoke effect glitch, incredible. Wish all the games ran like this. I'm only at the second dungeon though, so I don't know if it holds out.
Zelda Twilight Princess: Fine so far.
Simpsons Hit & Run: Can't get past the first screen.
Mario Galaxy 2: Slowdowns are very common, audio plays once and doesn't loop, crashes occasionally.

As you can see, a few of the games are working quite good but most of them like to crash, some more than others. It crashes in different ways, sometimes it gives me a specific error message, sometimes the graphics give out and audio continues playing (meaning the emulation is still going, just with a blank screen), and sometimes it just freezes and says the graphics card stopped responding.

Another unrelated issue I had with the emulator was with playing back .dtm recordings. I record my gameplay normally and save the .dtm file to a directory when finished. Clicking Emulation>Play Recording... and selecting the .dtm file either emulates the first game in my list as if I had normally double clicked it, makes the program stop responding, or tells me it loaded the save state but just shows a blank screen.

Most of the games in the list, at least for me, all need to have specific settings to run correctly and it would be really nice if you could save your settings for each game and just select from a list, just like you can for your controller configuration. And finally, if you change graphics settings, give it a go and it crashes, on reopening the program you'll see all the settings have reverted to what it was before for some reason.

If anyone has some suggestions for increasing performace, a different rev or whatever, that'd be great. To see my machines specs as well as default settings, you can see my other thread here... http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=18266 I have changed the backend from OpenGL to Direct3D9 because OpenGL runs much worse for me, but otherwise the settings are generally the same.

Here's hoping this'll get fixed in a future Dolphin 4.0... that's the only hope I'm holding onto at the moment. Dolphin programmers, if your reading this, take note!

EDIT: Forgot, another issue I've had is sometimes I'll just get a black screen when I open a game, closing and reopening a few times does the trick. Should really open fine the first time though.
@charliechip95, I assume your using 3.0, try grabbing 3.0 from the google source page and give that a try. I dont have SMG(0.o)... to try out but I will see if I can replicate your issues. If you could tell me your source for dolpin I will DL and test what I can. May take a couple of days to report though. I will test playability not concerned with audio issues. And on some games listed, they just crash. Just so you know.

Dolphin is not a wii, it's better in most cases.

psst, I love my HD monitors but if the image isn't HD than its CRT all the time.

(08-22-2011, 01:09 PM)Trunk8 Wrote: [ -> ]@charliechip95, I assume your using 3.0, try grabbing 3.0 from the google source page and give that a try. I dont have SMG(0.o)... to try out but I will see if I can replicate your issues. If you could tell me your source for dolpin I will DL and test what I can. May take a couple of days to report though. I will test playability not concerned with audio issues. And on some games listed, they just crash. Just so you know.

Dolphin is not a wii, it's better in most cases.

psst, I love my HD monitors but if the image isn't HD than its CRT all the time.

Sure, I am running 3.0 and got it from http://www.dolphin-emu.org/download.html 64-bit version under Releases. I downloaded from the Google source page and I'll give it some proper testing tomorrow, but from the few minutes I played tonight it looks like the issues are still there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15