Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Where do those crashes come from?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
I followed Gabriel Belmont's advice and downloaded 3.0 from the google source. It is different. I have spent the better part of this evening running games on 3.0 and none of my prior issues are there, its actualy improved over any prior revision I have used. I have more games operating with less visual defect than ever before. Games that had mutually incompatible set ups are working on the same global settings. I had mentioned earlier that scaled EFB copy was removed from the revision I was running. When I downloaded 3.0 it was there as an option pre enabled. It may be coincidence but ...I don't have the technical knowledge needed to go further really.

@Dannyz: Yeah, of course one can switch to an older version of Dolphin for playing but that's not the way it should be...we need to figure this issue out if Dolphin wants to mature any further.

@Sinni800: Hmm, I'm also always using XAudio2...I'll check if it helps. Even if it only makes games crash (consistently) less often that would give us a clue of where the issues are to be found I guess.

Any devs around, following this thread?

@ Trunk8: Yeah, the revs after 3.0 are much different because Nolan has merged his Texture Decoding rework stuff...that's also why there's no option for Safe Texture Cache. I'm not totally sure but the EFB Copy option is what is now called "Virtual" under the option "EFB Copies", so it's still there.
Anyway, none of this is the reason for the random crashes. Or if it is, it ain't for all of them because the random crashes started for me a few weeks or so before Dolphin 3.0 was released.
(07-04-2011, 06:24 PM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]@Dannyz: Yeah, of course one can switch to an older version of Dolphin for playing but that's not the way it should be...we need to figure this issue out if Dolphin wants to mature any further.

@Sinni800: Hmm, I'm also always using XAudio2...I'll check if it helps. Even if it only makes games crash (consistently) less often that would give us a clue of where the issues are to be found I guess.

Any devs around, following this thread?

@ Trunk8: Yeah, the revs after 3.0 are much different because Nolan has merged his Texture Decoding rework stuff...that's also why there's no option for Safe Texture Cache. I'm not totally sure but the EFB Copy option is what is now called "Virtual" under the option "EFB Copies", so it's still there.
Anyway, none of this is the reason for the random crashes. Or if it is, it ain't for all of them because the random crashes started for me a few weeks or so before Dolphin 3.0 was released.

I understand and agree with you for Dolphin's improvement it's important to find solutions on 3.0 and everyone should use it since it's the "official" Dolphin now Smile use other/older
revision should be last resort solution... and don't forget something : sometimes we use a perfect version and as it's working fine we don't get next one and the result is we play on outdated version if you see what I mean Big Grin
(07-04-2011, 03:04 PM)Trunk8 Wrote: [ -> ]I followed Gabriel Belmont's advice and downloaded 3.0 from the google source. It is different. I have spent the better part of this evening running games on 3.0 and none of my prior issues are there, its actualy improved over any prior revision I have used. I have more games operating with less visual defect than ever before. Games that had mutually incompatible set ups are working on the same global settings. I had mentioned earlier that scaled EFB copy was removed from the revision I was running. When I downloaded 3.0 it was there as an option pre enabled. It may be coincidence but ...I don't have the technical knowledge needed to go further really.

I'm really glad to hear this!

(07-04-2011, 06:24 PM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]@Sinni800: Hmm, I'm also always using XAudio2...I'll check if it helps. Even if it only makes games crash (consistently) less often that would give us a clue of where the issues are to be found I guess.

I will test it with sound completely disabled today. If the crashes stop, we know where to look for those unfortunate souls. If I have time I can run a debug on my machine and play on it. I have an i5 2500k so it should do the heavier lifting of running it in debug.

Love my i5 2500k. The C2D E8400 ran so slow... Sad
I use DSound as output and always has, have always been 100% trouble free for me.

It's only the last half year I seriously have used LLE along with it.
But even with HLE I never really had any crashes at all.

Instead of no sound try DSound.
Well I tried every possible setting in many of the revisions i downloaded and i consistently had the same issues. I dont believe that scaled efb copies is part of the virtual setting referred to by StripTheSoul because i attempted to enable/disable on the virtual setting and every other setting in the graphics properties with 0 improvement. if that option is merged or selectively enabled by something than i would say that it may not be working correctly. i regularly check against my favs and the broken to see if there is an improvement, there wasn't all of the revisions i tested felt like a regression to me. i check near daily for revisions, and am certainly not suggesting to stay away from them. its just that the one thing i noticed visually different in the gui is the one thing still in 3.0. and 3.0 works well, better than any revision after it, for me anyhow. additionally i never even knew of the google code source till yesterday and have only used revisions from this site. I continue to test new revisions, because Dolphin Rules.
my audio settings have allways been the same for every revision and those are DSP HLE, Enable DTK music, and audio throttle. backend is xaudio2 at 32000 Hz. i have Intel HD display Audio.
I just noticed that I use XAudio2 in PCSX2.
PCSX2 have actually never crashed for me either except for one time in the beginning before I knew the settings.
Oh well...
Them clever devs never read in the support forums of course Tongue
Is there no dev who has any idea where these crashes might come from? They're still there and kinda break the whole emulator for me cuz every time I want to play something I get a crash which is totally annoying Undecided
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15