Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Where do those crashes come from?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Alright, since these random crashes make using Dolphin kinda pointless (I'm surprised nobody is even talking about this O_o), I've started tracking down the commit where the trouble started. Since the crashes are random, thus not reproducible, the testing takes some time, of course. For now, I found out that the problematic commit must be somewhere between r7093 and r7356. Since there were quite a few FIFO changes in the making after 7093 I'm guessing it's one of them.
I'll continue testing when I find the time.
(08-19-2011, 04:47 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, since these random crashes make using Dolphin kinda pointless (I'm surprised nobody is even talking about this O_o), I've started tracking down the commit where the trouble started. Since the crashes are random, thus not reproducible, the testing takes some time, of course. For now, I found out that the problematic commit must be somewhere between r7093 and r7356. Since there were quite a few FIFO changes in the making after 7093 I'm guessing it's one of them.

I don't know if it can help you but I've used a lot of games on r7128 and r7280 and I had no excessive crashes
Hmmm, depends..."excessive" is relative Wink
Did you have random crashes (crashes which didn't happen every time in the same spot in a game) or not?
Quote:Alright, since these random crashes make using Dolphin kinda pointless (I'm surprised nobody is even talking about this O_o), I've started tracking down the commit where the trouble started. Since the crashes are random, thus not reproducible, the testing takes some time, of course. For now, I found out that the problematic commit must be somewhere between r7093 and r7356. Since there were quite a few FIFO changes in the making after 7093 I'm guessing it's one of them.

I'll save you some time. It's 7185. I noticed this a few months back, complained about it on the forums and irc, almost nobody listened and the few people who did said they were not having the crashes. I even made a googlecode issue report. Marcos insisted it was not a fifo issue. I was hoping somebody would get around to fixing it by release 3.0 or at least acknowledging that it exists but sadly that was not the case.

So apparently this is what happens when I attempt to avoid the noobs in the support section of the forums for a few months.... Glad to know I'm not the only one but you guys really should have posted about it on googlecode since the devs don't read the forums.
Aah, yeah, I had a hunch it'd be the FIFO.
Well...so what does this mean, it's just going to stay like this? I mean, Marcos isn't working on the FIFO anymore, right?
I do hope any dev will look into that commit eventually, cuz the way it is now, it's just no fun to use Dolphin Undecided

Yeah, I thought about making an issue but I wanted to track the culprit commit down first. But you say, you already made an issue for this, right?

I want to play Super Mario Galaxy so badly, but after two or three levels played (or even one!)... Dolphin freezes.

And sometimes I can't even save my game.

This is annoying.
(08-20-2011, 12:17 AM)El Buga Wrote: [ -> ]I want to play Super Mario Galaxy so badly, but after two or three levels played (or even one!)... Dolphin freezes.

This is annoying.

theres nothing stopping you from playing SMG on the Wii you know
Yeah, well, he sound a bit nagging there, but he's right in that the emulator in its current state is kinda broken.
(08-19-2011, 10:36 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'll save you some time. It's 7185. I noticed this a few months back, complained about it on the forums and irc, almost nobody listened and the few people who did said they were not having the crashes. I even made a googlecode issue report. Marcos insisted it was not a fifo issue. I was hoping somebody would get around to fixing it by release 3.0 or at least acknowledging that it exists but sadly that was not the case.

So then get to fixing it Big Grin
Yeah, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but after playing a game on Dolphin, it's very hard to go back to a CRT TV, you know. I don't mind the slow speeds... I am liking it very much.

As it seems I'm the only one with these frequent crashes on SMG, I want to learn what is wrong and correct it if possible, so I can help others who come across this problem in the future.

It's all about learning.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15