Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0-321 Lag on Netplay Game Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hi!

I'm having an interesting issue with regard to Dolphin Netplay on 5.0-321 (henceforth NP5) versus Dolphin Netplay on 4.0-7840(NP4).
I begin by letting you know that my testing was as scientific as I could make (as in, I control for all variables as much as I can by providing ping examples using the same person, the same .iso between netplay versions, etc .) I'm on ethernet, and during my testing I was the only person at home.

Basically, the problem is that in NP5, upon launch of the game, will give inconsistent ping and frame drops, while NP4 will not.
Sidebyside example:

NP4 lobby: 45 ping.
NP5 lobby: 45 ping.

NP4 game-launched: 45 ping and 60 frames.
NP5 game-launched: ping spikes from 45 to 400 (occuring constantly after the game is launched) and 20 frames.

for benchmark:
Dolphin4 running the game offline: 60 frames.
Dolphin5 running the game offline: 60 frames.

I can't really think of a reason for this to happen. NP5 doesn't report a desync, in fact, both host and client are feeling the terrible frames and ping together, so it is most likely staying synced.

Any ideas? PS: My internet is roughly 2.5mbps down, .4 mbps up. It's just perplexing that netplay 4 works fine and netplay 5 does not for me in this case. I am the only one in my group of dolphin-ers with this issue.

Thanks,
Z
While it might not be exactly the same thing as what you're experiencing, I have found that I need to set the buffer a little higher on 5.0-15 compared to 4.0-8059 to get the same game to run online without being laggy. This only applied to games using Gamecube controllers. I found using Wii remotes to be the same between those two versions.
(08-10-2016, 12:15 PM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]While it might not be exactly the same thing as what you're experiencing, I have found that I need to set the buffer a little higher on 5.0-15 compared to 4.0-8059 to get the same game to run online without being laggy. This only applied to games using Gamecube controllers. I found using Wii remotes to be the same between those two versions.

Thanks for posting! While I'm as helpless as you, I can include at this point that buffer really doesn't help my problem. I hope somebody has the answer to both of our questions! Additionally, I see this lag with or without my mayflash adaptor/gamecube controller plugged in.
There was one update that caused netplay to require 2 times the buffer size, for the same buffer/lag compensation.

If you really think there's an issue here, please find out which version exactly changes this. Always test the version in the middle between good and bad, and you'll quickly find the which version changes the behavior.
I second this problem. I play Smash Bros. Melee online and on 7840 it never gave me any stutters or skips or anything like that but on 5.0 I can't play online at all. Offline I run the game perfectly at 60 FPS, I can run it 120 FPS with 4 computers, actually. I'm not on wifi, I restarted my router, nothing has worked. I made an empty lobby and it ran 60 fps but once I connect to another person it will stutter every couple of seconds. I really hope someone finds a fix because I love 5.0. Exclusive fullscreen is better and plays.tv seems to work better on it for some reason. Someone please help!
(08-10-2016, 06:41 PM)jra64 Wrote: [ -> ]I second this problem.  I play Smash Bros. Melee online and on 7840 it never gave me any stutters or skips or anything like that but on 5.0 I can't play online at all.  Offline I run the game perfectly at 60 FPS, I can run it 120 FPS with 4 computers, actually.  I'm not on wifi, I restarted my router, nothing has worked.  I made an empty lobby and it ran 60 fps but once I connect to another person it will stutter every couple of seconds.  I really hope someone finds a fix because I love 5.0.  Exclusive fullscreen is better and plays.tv seems to work better on it for some reason.  Someone please help!

Right, this seems to be the exact problem I'm having. How is your internet speed? Go to speedtest.net/ and test it out, I'd like to compare yours and mine --- I will need both upload and download speeds. I have a hunch, so I'm interested in hearing back from you. Smile
Dolphin didn't touch anything regarding it; those stutters are from your computer outside of Dolphin.
(08-11-2016, 01:02 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin didn't touch anything regarding it; those stutters are from your computer outside of Dolphin.

My computer has no problem running Dolphin / Melee locally.  If it was something other than Dolphin, why would version 7840 work perfectly and 5.0 stutter every 5 seconds?  Am I missing something here?  I'm running Melee on the same computer, same internet, same graphics card, same everything.  7840 is flawless and 5.0 seems to stutter, I don't know the reason why.  I've troubleshooted it quite a bit even with other people, and none of us can find the solution.  Maybe it's the settings I have on 5.0?

I was told by someone (Truck) that Dolphin is probably trying to rebuild the shader cache, so I tried using a version of Dolphin called Faster Melee that would let me build the shader cache beforehand, but it still hasn't solved the problem.

I've pinged my gateway to see if there was any lag locally, that isn't the case.  I restarted my router as well.

My internet and computer specs should be more than enough to run Dolphin...

EDIT:  Zayrin here's the speedtest info you requested Smile

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5544834310

Download:  25.73 Mb/s
Upload:  5.47 Mb/s
There's actually one person in this thread, who wants to find out what's wrong...
(08-11-2016, 10:34 PM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]There's actually one person in this thread, who wants to find out what's wrong...

Well, I'm just listing what I've done so far, I don't know what else to do. Maybe we can delete our dolphin setting ini file? I don't know if that would help at all...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7