Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0-321 Lag on Netplay Game Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Very slow. 600 kilobytes per second down and 80 kilobytes per second up. I never host the game myself when it's a 3 or 4 player game.
I appreciate everybody's work and consideration upon looking into this subject. I'd like to drop some kudos to JMC47 for spotting the increased internet requirements Smile given my extremely poor upload speed, it would make sense. IF we can discover anything else pertaining to this, cool! If not, well... my internet is not good, and I know that. Perhaps this is not the solution, but it seems most probable that it is at this point in time.
I have 5mb/s upload speed though... Is that not enough to run Dolphin? Super David says he can play (but with more frame delay) with .8mb/s upload speed.
Most speedtester measure in bits (1/8 byte)
I know that, but is it still not enough? How much does Dolphin really need?
(08-17-2016, 04:47 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin's netplay uses 2x bandwidth over previous versions now.  I don't know why, but I verified it on my network monitor.

Okay I really didn't want to bump this thread but I nuked my computer to see if that might solve the issue I'm having with Dolphin 5.0 / Faster Melee build.  May the dolphin developers ever consider going back to the 1x bandwidth version or possibly modifying the code so it doesn't take unnecessary bandwidth?  Are they planning on addressing this in the future for the users who have this issue?  I've met a couple of players on smashladder that are also having this exact same issue, it's not only me with the problem...  I really want to be able to play 5.0 versions of Dolphin (Faster Melee).
most of 5.0 speed improvements were in the 4.0-1xxx range. I think they fixed subframe inputs or something.
(10-28-2016, 09:32 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]most of 5.0 speed improvements were in the 4.0-1xxx range. I think they fixed subframe inputs or something.

There were improvements to input timing before 5.0, but that definitely wasn't in the 4.0-1xxx range, and many performance improvements weren't in the 4.0-1xxx range either.
Ok there were in the 2/3xxx range https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/09/30/...mber-2014/
Also I mean't the input causes the double bandwith. Must have not reread it Tongue
(10-29-2016, 11:17 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ] Also I mean't the input causes the double bandwith. Must have not reread it Tongue 

Well versions of Dolphin below 5.0 (such as 7840) worked fine, I said this earlier in this thread actually, but I don't expect people to necessarily be digging back there.

What I still wonder is...

Is my internet good enough to run Dolphin online with these specifications?

[color=#006abd]http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5544834310[/color]

[color=#000000]Download:  25.73 Mb/s[/color]
[color=#000000]Upload:  5.47 Mb/s[/color]

And if not, how come others with slower internet speeds can run 5.0 without problems?

(08-18-2016, 06:13 AM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]My internet is considerably slower than yours and yet I can still play on 5.0-292 with someone more than one state away. While we both have problems with netplay on the newer versions, it seems that it's unplayable for you while I just have to deal with a higher frame delay.

I asked him what his specific speed was...

(08-18-2016, 06:13 AM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]Very slow. 600 kilobytes per second down and 80 kilobytes per second up. I never host the game myself when it's a 3 or
4 player game.

Is there anything I can do or check on my end?

Does anyone know what is going on?  I feel like my internet should be able to handle it.  Someone from the same city I live in has the exact same ISP and plan and he can play Faster Melee online.

I've nuked my computer, and also brought another person's computer over here that can run the faster melee build and it didn't work over here.

All of this leads me to believe it's probably my internet connection, but I can't pinpoint what it is...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7