Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0-321 Lag on Netplay Game Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No, you haven't. Telling us it works in 4.0-7840 and doesn't work in 5.0 is absolutely useless, because 5.0 is a release and didn't introduce any change, and there have been ~1500 changes between. Bisecting means finding the version which changed the behaviour between 4.0-7840 and 5.0.
Sorry, I didn't know there were any changes from 7840 to 5.0, I honestly thought 5.0 was the next version because I only really use Dolphin to playing Melee online, and the last official netplay build was 7840, my apologies.  

(08-15-2016, 06:53 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Telling us it works in 4.0-7840 and doesn't work in 5.0 is absolutely useless

Well I wouldn't say it's absolutely useless... I posted that to tell people I was using the same pc so it would convey that my graphics card, internet, and cpu have the capability to run previous versions of dolphin and not the latest version. It may not be the exact branch point, but it's a start...

Let me look at where the change started.  Anybody here willing to help me test since I need another person to connect to?  Zayrin?
(08-15-2016, 12:37 AM)TruckJitsu Wrote: [ -> ]So jra64 actually contacted me about this issue. 99% of the time it's because the player is still trying to use the old buffer calculations and as soon as they use higher buffer values, their problem is fixed. So I ended up testing with this guy and put the buffer to 200 and no matter what it wouldn't stop stuttering. I honestly don't have any other ideas of what the problem could be. On stock settings it won't run netplay. If it's true that -7840 runs perfectly fine and it's only 5.0, then maybe there's something more going on.
(08-10-2016, 04:45 PM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]There was one update that caused netplay to require 2 times the buffer size, for the same buffer/lag compensation.

If you really think there's an issue here, please find out which version exactly changes this. Always test the version in the middle between good and bad, and you'll quickly find the which version changes the behavior.
I'd like to get a better understanding of what's going on here. First, what does it mean that 2 times the buffer size is required? Does this mean a higher rate of kilobytes per second is needed compared to before? I would also like to know about these old buffer calculations. On the latest versions of Dolphin, does a 10 buffer still equal a 5 frame delay?

As for my own experience with the more recent versions, on 5.0-292, I needed to set the buffer to 10 instead of 6, which I use on 4.0-8059, to get 100% speed. With a different person, I had to set the buffer to 6 on 5.0-292 instead of 5 on 4.0-8059 to get 100%. In both cases, the number was not doubled from 4.0-8059 to 5.0-292. It's also worth noting that I was still able to use a 6 buffer on 5.0-292 instead of a 10 when Wii remotes were being used instead of Gamecube controllers. I didn't notice a change between the buffer on those two versions when it was just Wii remotes.
I'm not able to test right this minute, but if it's necessary, I can try to figure out exactly which version makes me need a higher buffer number for Gamecube controllers.
I'd be willing to test with you, I've already taken so much time trying figure out which version between 4.0-7840 and 5.0-321 has made netplay completely unplayable for me. I'll report back what I find...
Dolphin's netplay uses 2x bandwidth over previous versions now. I don't know why, but I verified it on my network monitor.
Hmmm, so it's an internet problem for sure? I might try bringing my computer to a house with better internet to check if that's the issue. Thanks JMC. Do you happen to know what version started this 2x bandwidth?
(08-17-2016, 04:47 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin's netplay uses 2x bandwidth over previous versions now.  I don't know why, but I verified it on my network monitor.

That was from this - https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/02/02/...e-by-booto

However that broke netplay - so it wasn't until early May that it was fixed. I don't remember the exact build. But it should be around May 1ish. I remember because this was when I was first releasing FM.
About how much bandwidth does 5.0-321 build take?  Why does it require a 200% now?

Update:  So it's definitely a bandwidth / internet / ping issue.  If I direct connect over LAN 5.0-321 works flawlessly but if I direct connect with anyone even from the same state, it still lags.  My internet isn't THAT bad is it?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5544834310

Download:  25.73 Mb/s
Upload:  5.47 Mb/s

Is there any way to fix this without having to switch to a different internet service provider? That would be kind of a last resort option...
My internet is considerably slower than yours and yet I can still play on 5.0-292 with someone more than one state away. While we both have problems with netplay on the newer versions, it seems that it's unplayable for you while I just have to deal with a higher frame delay.
(08-18-2016, 05:47 AM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]My internet is considerably slower than yours and yet I can still play on 5.0-292 with someone more than one state away. While we both have problems with netplay on the newer versions, it seems that it's unplayable for you while I just have to deal with a higher frame delay.

Super David would you mind posting your internet speeds?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7