Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0-321 Lag on Netplay Game Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
EDIT:  I moved this from the previous page and deleted it because I'm afraid people might just check the last page and assume no progress...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(11-25-2016, 06:09 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]I could test a bit as well, because I want to start using netplay. 

No need!  I finally pinpointed which build is causing the problem!

Dolphin 4.0-9422.

[color=#333333][color=#428bca]4.0-9420[/color][/color]

[color=#333333]5 months, 3 weeks ago[/color]
[color=#333333][GameINI] Netplay Smash AR codes ([color=#428bca]PR #3876[/color] from [color=#428bca]Helios747[/color])[/color]

[color=#333333][color=#428bca]4.0-9422[/color]
5 months, 3 weeks ago
Re-add deleted Gecko Tag in Smash Netplay INI ([color=#428bca]PR #3877[/color] from [color=#428bca]RisingFog[/color])
[/color]

[color=#333333]Dolphin 4.0-9420 worked fine but there was no netplay community settings gecko code.  I'm not sure why it was taken out, but it still worked okay, buffer 4 was even playable[/color]

[color=#333333][color=#333333]When I tested build 4.0-9422 even 200 buffer is unplayable so this is definitely the build that affected netplay for me (and a bunch of other people I've found out...)[/color]
[/color]

[color=#333333]I'm not sure how this possibly could have affected netplay but now hopefully someone can look into what is causing this problem.[/color]

[color=#333333]It took me a very long time to find exactly which build was causing the problem because I had to make sure that other people had graphic's cards that could run Dolphin, weren't on wifi, etc etc, not to mention I don't have another computer to test on.  I finally found someone who was willing to help me do this, and, well this is the result.[/color]

[color=#333333]Please someone look into this.  Please![/color]

EDIT:  Also I can verify faster melee build of dolphin works on this internet speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5825502376
Down:  51.66 Mb/s 
Up:  5.58 Mb/s

This is my internet speed (Faster Melee is Broken):
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5825546682

Down:  27.11 Mb/s 
Up:  5.56 Mb/s

Previously it was said that upload speed might be the issue, but these upload speeds are pretty much identical.  It's the download speed that looks like the problem?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(11-25-2016, 06:09 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]No, I'm just assuming because that commit only altered the ini for Smash (which is a game,  right?). So it shouldn't effect any other  game.

Yeah but I don't know if any other changes were made that might've gone undocumented.  It probably just affects Melee (Smash) but I didn't want to bias any opinions...
4.0-9420 attempted to update the Melee netplay Gecko code, but because of a mistake, the code became completely broken. 4.0-9422 properly added the new version of the Melee netplay Gecko code. If your problems are present in 4.0-9422 but not 4.0-9420 and 4.0-9418, the reason the problems started happening is definitely the Melee netplay Gecko code. Have you tried playing with it turned off?

I wonder if the increased input polling that the new version of the Gecko code adds is the reason netplay is slower...
That's what I was thinking too, I tried playing on faster melee with the latest version of faster melee online without the netplay community settings, and it didn't work, but the gecko code "60FPS + 4X VRH" was still enabled.

Description of 60FPS + 4X VRH:

"Default Netplay Mode. Requires Speedlimit to be set to 100% in Config -------------Set Video Rate Hack to 4x and uncheck "Half Audio Rate" in GameConfig"

I tried disabling as well but the game didn't launch at all (or he may have quit).
If you're going to test, do it in Dolphin, not Ishiiruka ("Faster Melee"). Discussion about Ishiiruka is supposed to be in the Ishiiruka thread.
Ah. I see what's going on.

Gecko Codes can cause huge slowdown in performance. You're either seeing slowdown in performance because the new code is slower, or because Faster Melee is much more demanding on internet usage.
(11-26-2016, 04:34 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Ah.  I see what's going on.

Gecko Codes can cause huge slowdown in performance.  You're either seeing slowdown in performance because the new code is slower, or because Faster Melee is much more demanding on internet usage.

So I was able to bring my computer to a person with 50 mb down and 5 up and it worked but not flawlessly.  

My other friend reports having 

32.29 Down and 3.23 Up and it works flawlessly...
[color=#0bd215]http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5827664016[/color]

[color=#333333]I wonder if internet connection is the only problem here...[/color]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7