Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Howto] Wii System Menu + Channels (Functions but WIP)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
UPDATE: as of r6198 all current sysmenu versions should display installed channels
Please post which channels launch, which dont, (gameid and region).
I will try to answer as many questions as I can

1. Install Wii System Menu

a. Either use the NAND dump from your wii and put it in the correct place
b. Or Extract a wii system menu wad from the update partition of a game, or obtain system menu wad via nusd.
with the sysmenu wad in the gamelist, right click on wad and select install to wii menu.

2. after system menu is installed right click a wad in the gamelist and install to wiimenu
mii channel, photo channel and other channels included on every wii are available the same places, nusd or update partitions

When returning to the System Menu from a game or launching a channel, the wii remote must be disconnected and reconnected from the tools menu

Current status:
Booting from disc channel should work with all pal wii games
booting pal channels
I've got what I believe is the 2.0 menu "installed", it's hard to tell because I can't get into the system settings menu in any version I've tried. It's v193 from the update partition of Wii Sports.

I'm able to Home return from every Wii game I have with no exceptions, that seems to work perfectly. I've got channels from my update partitions installed and working, these are the ones I tested:

Working
Photo Channel v1
Photo Channel v1.1 (banner does not display correctly, likely relies on SysMenu features in 3.0 and up, but "works" and loads)
Mii Channel
Forecast Channel (no internet, so errors on boot, but SysMenu likes it)
News Channel (same)

Not Working
Mario Kart Channel (at least, I think that's what this is, in partition 2 of Mario Kart Wii. Doesn't boot, installing it doesn't show a Channel. I guess maybe this is the "installer" .wad that's supposed to actually install the channel?)
Wii Shop Channel (doesn't boot normally, wii menu complains immediately about the internet connection settings and doesn't try to boot it)

I don't have any virtual console or wii ware games to test at the moment because I don't have my NAND dump to work with (and getting .wads from a nand dump is a pain anyway) but I'll play around with it some more later.

Booting v97 or v193 of the System Menu works perfectly. Returning from a disc-based game correctly shows the banner for that disc (but does not allow you to boot it). The Wii Save manager, both for channels and game saves, does not show any installed titles, and the 'blocks free' does not ever appear to change.

I'll see if I can find my old NAND dump and start trying to boot my virtual console games. Still, this is *nifty*. I didn't know it worked this well already. *giddysqueak*

EDIT: O_O The Mii channel can read/write Mii Data from a real wiimote now. When did this start working? It's slow to load/save, but it works perfectly!
Save Manager will currently only show saves for installed titles (no disc based games)
channels ignores the system channels, photo, mii, forecast, news, shop

Blocks free does not change atm, hardcoded at a set value
(09-06-2010, 01:31 PM)thegamefreak0134 Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: O_O The Mii channel can read/write Mii Data from a real wiimote now. When did this start working? It's slow to load/save, but it works perfectly!
neat!
Just tried using my nand dump (found it finally) and it's from my Dad's Wii (we have two) so I don't have a lot to work with here. Couple of things I'm noticing right off

All the Miis in the Mii Channel have blue pants and cannot be edited. The system channels all launch just like before. I have two new channels that I had installed on his Wii, the Everybody Votes channel and the Check Mii Out channel.

Check Mii Out fails to launch with a "configure your internet settings" error. Everybody Votes, however, launches to a black screen that says "This Channel cannot be used."

Google seems to think this means that there's a region conflict, and it may be right-- there's a .wad I can extract from Mario Kart Wii called "Rgnsel_US" that displays the current region as Switzerland, but doesn't let me change it (requires internet). This might explain a number of things. Is there some way to set the Wii Region from within Dolphin?

The Mii characters being blue almost definitely means that it has a console number mismatch, isn't that based on friend code? I don't know exactly how the Wii calculates that, but it *does* calculate a Friend Code in Dolphin, visible on the Address Book. That number changed when I used my NAND dump, but I'm not sure if it matches the original Wii's friend code, I'll check later. (have to call my Dad for that, I'm no longer in the same house as the Wii in question.)

The save manager *is* working with this dump though, the channels and their respective saves are properly showing up. Hoorah! Now if only we could figure out what the newer menu versions are doing that breaks channels...

Oh: The Homebrew Channel does not boot. Not surprised actually.
thanks for the info,
currently the sysmenu is always set to Pal region so any channels that are not pal or region free will not work
you are correct about the console mismatch, dolphin uses a set console id
donno about homebrew channel but i would guess either unimplemented or incorrect ios functions
I have a dumped NAND with menu 3.4, I have tried installing Wii menu v226 from Super Mario Galaxy and v258 from Mario Kart, but I still can't view the channels... (also tried installing some channels with Dolphin) everything is PAL, r6191
unfortunately all of those versions are 3.0 or greater
v194 (2.2 pal) or smaller v number

this lists some updates on particular games
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Disc_based_games
or updates directly from nintendo
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUSD
Ah OK.

So I tried v162 from Super Paper Mario and v194 from NUSD, still no luck, though I'm not sure if they even installed, the "working" message was displayed very briefly. I can't check the menu version but it still has the clock which was added after a while

EDIT: According to wiibrew the clock was added in 3.0. So the installing isn't working for me.
so just disc channel with both of those?
Yes, but I don't think the earlier menus were ever installed
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12