Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Deciding on a new rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I'm trying to figure out what CPU would work better all together (Dolphin, Pcsx2, Newer PC games, etc),
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield or
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban
their prices are kind of close, I just can't decide what would work better...
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 - I'm not sure what else could be better for 178 bucks.
If you need the other hardware I'm getting I can link it.
Corei7 ftw! x6 is actually useless for gaming ,Radeon is fine !
5770 is a good choice for that price range. That is a difficult choice for the cpu. Having 6 cores is useless with dolphin (as I'm sure you already know) and in general at the moment (only video encoders are coded to take advantage of 6 threads already), but on the other hand the thuban architecture overclocks really well if you have decent cooling (hits 4.6GHz no problem, you won't be able to get anywhere near that high with an i7). I would actually recommend you get the thuban, disable a few cores, and overclock like hell. Thuban clock rates are just insane for 6 cores, only time an i7 will beat them is when all 8 threads are being fully utilized, and that's extremely rare and even then it will only just barely win. Thuban is overall a better choice and when you factor in ram and mobo costs less too.
go for the AMD i saw some benchmarks of 920 the amd cpu beated the 920 in most test ^^
i think amd would be hella better
Once again i7 at the same clock than Phenom is better so ...

and once again in Games , NO BENEFITS , performances are like i5 650 ones ( If you have a decent video Card )

The only reason to go x6 is Video Encoding (wich is now mostly entirely done by GPUs) and Benchmarking , but I dont think this is what OP wants to do .
Quote:The only reason to go x6 is Video Encoding (wich is now mostly entirely done by GPUs) and Benchmarking , but I dont think this is what OP wants to do .
Hahahaha. Video encoding is mostly done on gpus? Since when!?!? Tell this to a professional who works in the industry and they will laugh so hard. And benchmarking is actually where the i7 does well since most benchmarking software takes advantage of hyperthreading while most real software does not.

Quote:and once again in Games , NO BENEFITS , performances are like i5 650 ones ( If you have a decent video Card )

Well yeah anything past a core 2 duo @ 3 GHz is useless in gaming except for bad company 2 since nearly all games are gpu heavy but not cpu heavy.

Quote:Once again i7 at the same clock than Phenom is better so ...

At the same clock rate some applications will perform twice as well on an i7 as a phenom II X4 because of hyperthreading, but only a few video encoders and anti-virus programs make use of hyperthreading so overall it's useless. And since phenom II X6 has 6 cores and can clock significantly higher it beats the i7 even in these applications.

There is simply no way to rationalize an i7 being better than a phenom II x6 overall in any way other than:

1. You spend $1,000+ to get an extreme edition
2. You mostly want it for video encoding and have a liquid cooling system so you can run it @ 4.0 GHz with HT on

Other than that a phenom II X6 will beat an i7 in general performance while consuming less power, producing less heat, will provide a lot more headroom for overclocking, and will cost about 1/3 less when you factor in ram and mobo. So unless you can get a gulftown chip for that amount of money I don't see why you would choose the i7, HT is really the only advantage.
Go for Intel for emulation, seriously I have Phenom II thus will upgrading to X6 but for a new system just get i7.
Quote: RE: Deciding on a new rig
Go for Intel for emulation, seriously I have Phenom II thus will upgrading to X6 but for a new system just get i7.

Reason?
(05-01-2010, 04:00 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: RE: Deciding on a new rig

Reason?

no reason. people think that i7's are gods, but they're wrong, at least in this case. the thuban surpasses a normal i7 because it can overclock easier, and higher. of course if you wanna buy a 1000$ processor then sure, just go for intel extreme, but as the name sais, they're too extreme, mostly in price, but i guess even then the extreme would surpass the thuban only by a little.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9