Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Correct aspect ratio option?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(07-22-2015, 01:12 PM)Smashbro29 Wrote: [ -> ]But for some reason the performance on this build is awful. Like lucky if I hit 15 fps awful.

Make sure that Visual Studio is set to make a Release build. The Debug builds are so slow that nobody uses them.
(07-22-2015, 04:26 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2015, 01:12 PM)Smashbro29 Wrote: [ -> ]But for some reason the performance on this build is awful. Like lucky if I hit 15 fps awful.

Make sure that Visual Studio is set to make a Release build. The Debug builds are so slow that nobody uses them.

http://i.imgur.com/0eEjXTD.png

Which one?
master
Sorry to go so far off-topic.
You can't have the analog aspect ratios fill the screen, because they aren't the same aspect ratio as the screen. You can enable the widescreen hack and then use the stretch to window size (or force 16:9/4:3) to correct geometry while using the native aspect ratio of the display window, but then you get whatever issues come up with the widescreen hack. I may implement a cropping feature that will crop Analog TV to 4:3 or Analog TV Wide to 16:9, I'll see if the dolphin guys would want that.
(07-22-2015, 11:30 PM)mirrorbender Wrote: [ -> ]You can't have the analog aspect ratios fill the screen, because they aren't the same aspect ratio as the screen.  You can enable the widescreen hack and then use the stretch to window size (or force 16:9/4:3) to correct geometry while using the native aspect ratio of the display window, but then you get whatever issues come up with the widescreen hack.  I may implement a cropping feature that will crop Analog TV to 4:3 or Analog TV Wide to 16:9, I'll see if the dolphin guys would want that.

In smash I can see it being an issue with the side of the screen being so important and all but for other games I can't imagine having the widescreen slightly extend out would be an issue.
What about games that have 16:9 options, like Starfox Adventures? Will we be able to use the 16:9 aspect ratio accurately?
Registered just give some feedback on this. So far so good, I tested super smash bros. melee, starfox assault, kirby air ride, soulcalibur II, 007 nightfire, wind waker, ty the tasmanian tiger 2 and rogue leader.

There are a few things I noticed first, some games default to native IR which I'm not sure if that's something that's happening in the master branch or not.
Second, some games show a blank screen but after changing the IR (I run with auto window size) everything shows up fine but once again I'm not sure if that's something that's happening in the master branch or not.
Third, letterboxing is working as expected with 4:3 and 16:9. Widescreen hack also works as expected.

mirrorbender this is an excellent thing you've done here, I can't believe this hasn't been done sooner. To those who don't think GC games are letterboxed on output on a real GC check again because they are. When I got my first HDTV the first thing I noticed was that some games were being letterboxed and this was on S-Video. It's simple really, the GC outputs a full NTSC/PAL image on output but some games choose not to render to the full resolution of NTSC/PAL, much like many PS2 games.
Yeah, I noticed the blank screen issue when using auto IR (window size). Working on a fix.

Could you check for me and see if that games that default to native IR do so on the master branch? My changes really shouldn't affect game specific settings like that.

*Edit @masterotaku: Yes, it should automatically detect widescreen in wii games, and you can manually select widescreen for gamecube games that have a widescreen mode.
(07-23-2015, 04:19 AM)mirrorbender Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I noticed the blank screen issue when using auto IR (window size).  Working on a fix.

Could you check for me and see if that games that default to native IR do so on the master branch?  My changes really shouldn't affect game specific settings like that.

Just tested build 7072 from master, and it does not default to native IR. Just tested again after you did your last commit it it seems the native IR problem is gone.

EDIT: the blank screen issue is now gone too.

EDIT AGAIN: seems like some games are still defaulting to native IR although build 7072 doesn't.

EDIT THRICE!: When I built your fork for debug it wasn't defaulting to native IR. I then built it for release and the bug showed up so I don't know.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17