Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Correct aspect ratio option?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
If you think the move towards accuracy and away from hacks is sudden, then you clearly haven't been reading the progress reports or been following Dolphin's development at all. Having per-game aspect ratio hacks doesn't even make sense, since as MaJoR pointed out, if Dolphin isn't emulating the way a real GC would scale its games, then the solution is to implement that scaling ability so that all games get scaled correctly. Making per-game hacks would probably be more time consuming than fixing the actual problem, so even if the developers weren't moving away from hacks (which they are), it wouldn't make sense to address the problem that way.

Also, this isn't even your thread, so it really isn't up to you to decide what its purpose is.
It is very doable to have a system wide solution for this that corrects all games in which the developers did not screw up. I'm working on it as we speak. That is the best course of action. Correcting those for dev "mistakes" in individual games is another thing, and what looks "right" is entirely subjective, so it should be a separate user option because it is a separate issue. The first order of business is display games as they would on a GC/Wii and analog TV. If a game looks wrong when displayed like that, it's not dolphin's fault. Correcting that is an luxury enhancement compared to the core emulation flaws of ignoring VI scaling and the use of square pixels. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, I'm still working on finding where everything that I need to change is located in the dolphin code.

bb010g

(07-21-2015, 09:08 AM)mirrorbender Wrote: [ -> ]It is very doable to have a system wide solution for this that corrects all games in which the developers did not screw up.  I'm working on it as we speak.

Do you have this up in a GitHub fork while you're working? I'd like to see what you're trying along the way to a patch.
Indeed. This is my first time using github to do anything besides reporting issues, so bear with me

https://github.com/mirrorbender/dolphin
Wow, thanks a lot for the effort. It makes me happy to see people fixing problems they found on their own Tongue

bb010g

(07-21-2015, 10:04 AM)mirrorbender Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed.  This is my first time using github to do anything besides reporting issues, so bear with me

It would probably be wise to open up a PR already on dolphin-emu/dolphin and just tag it [WIP] so there's a nice place to discuss your methods.
(07-21-2015, 10:04 AM)mirrorbender Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed.  This is my first time using github to do anything besides reporting issues, so bear with me

My man! Good stuff. Though I have no idea how test builds work. I gotta build it myself or something?
phbgjf Wrote:@MaJor: Hack???! ROFL! What are you talking about. This is a damn PAR float box. Full stop. To picture how biased and hostile your post is, you completely ignored my last post yesterday (including a bunch of screenshots where the problem you don't dare to understand is exposed) and straightly went to the one I wrote 3 days ago!. At least make an effort. If you like playing with squashed (ie) SNES graphics, that's your choice. Let the rest of us play games with correct proportions, and please don't quote/write to me again, sorry but there's not much to argue with people on such mindset.

Wow.

Yea um, saying your idea is not likely to make it into master is not "hostility". Making posts in anger is hostility *cough*. Just so we are clear, I was informing you of the current development position on the use of per-game hacks, as relevant throughout the discussion (I only quoted that post since it was easy to highlight, but that was the conversation up to that point).

I was not saying this problem should not be addressed or looked into, just that a lot of us are unsure about what is and isn't console accurate behavior here. Pictures of non-perfect circles doesn't mean those non-perfect circles didn't exist on console. So far testing in this has been inconclusive; on the one hand we have the comparison images from smashbro29, but on the other a very reliable tester has reported with a very high quality TV tuner that the circles on console are exactly the same as what is in Dolphin. No one is even sure whether this is a problem with Dolphin or not! More testing is needed to determine that.

The emulator is not trying to create perfect circles in every game, the emulator is trying to emulate the console. If the console has an error, and Dolphin reproduces it, Dolphin is behaving correctly! If the output from the console is being emulated correctly yet many televisions of the period adjusted for it in some way, is it Dolphin's responsibility to account for that? That is actually a really hard thing to decide, and the developers would need to consider and talk about if and how they want to address it.

My point is, this is a looooot more complicated than you are making it out to be. It's not as simple as "this isn't a perfect circle let's fix it!" There are a lot of things that need to be understood before taking corrective action.

phbgjf Wrote:Let the rest of us play games with correct proportions, and please don't quote/write to me again, sorry but there's not much to argue with people on such mindset.

As for the um.... manner of your post - throughout your post you belittled me, insulted me, dismissed everything I said, and tried to push me out of the discussion. I am a moderator, and that kind of behavior is not tolerated. If you talk to anyone like that again, there will be consequences.
(07-21-2015, 02:09 PM)Smashbro29 Wrote: [ -> ]My man! Good stuff. Though I have no idea how test builds work. I gotta build it myself or something?

Yes, but it shouldn't be very difficult. If you have Visual Studio 13 already, it pretty much builds itself.
man i wish the pcsx2 devs follow the same concept of fixing up the root cause of issues and not introducing hacks per game basis.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17