Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to play without fps drop or stutter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I have noticed this more in the newer dev builds since they removed the Audio framelimiter. When I would drop frames it wasnt as jolting as now because the sound wouldnt stutter along with it. I could handle that part much more. Its also strange that your getting stutters without frames dropping. I havent noticed them on my side.
Yes. I'll do some more testing to better define the conditions under which this happens for me, in case this helps.
I took a break and went back from some testing after a system restart.

I am now convinced that the problem in my case is the texture copying that Dolphin does. Consistent with comments in this thread, the stutter appears whenever a new characters shows up on screen or makes a new move, in TvsC. However, as the copying is done, the stutter does not happen when does moves are performed again, so there is some "learning" going on.

The problem was that I was changing emulator versions, plugins and settings frantically and wasn't allowing this learning process to happen. After playing a while, everything was running as smooth as butter. Also, I did not see a difference in this behavior whether I activate vsync from the nVidia CP or from within the emulator itself.

To correct myself on the information I provided Chewey before, when these stutters happen, the framerate does dip quite a bit. I think it happens so fast that the FPS display doesn't always refresh in time to show a low framerate but occasionally it does capture sub-60fps figures.

I'm hoping Chewey can find a solution for himself too. Right now I have it set up for "LLE (hardware)", but I doubt it's making a difference in this particular game. Again, as each character does its moves and the textures (or whatever) are copied, things become smoother. I wonder if Chewey is somehow losing his copied textures for some reason. I would check where they are stored and monitor folder size to make sure nothing is disappearing.

Now, to figure what the heck is wrong with my PCSX2 setup...
Can anyone else think of anything that could possibly help? Seeing how when the frame rate is unlocked I am still getting dips into the teens. What I have noticed though is it seems Dolphin cannot run at full speed 100% of the time. Is there a way to fix that? Or maybe a way to make it so if you do get a frame drop every once and a while, the sound and everything dont freeze for two seconds?

Edit: I understand Dolphin is not perfect. But it does work very well and seeing how I have not seen other people have a whole of issues that I am having it makes me think that some where on my end something is wrong.
(08-24-2014, 12:07 AM)Saint Chewy Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone else think of anything that could possibly help? Seeing how when the frame rate is unlocked I am still getting dips into the teens. What I have noticed though is it seems Dolphin cannot run at full speed 100% of the time. Is there a way to fix that? Or maybe a way to make it so if you do get a frame drop every once and a while, the sound and everything dont freeze for two seconds?

Edit: I understand Dolphin is not perfect. But it does work very well and seeing how I have not seen other people have a whole of issues that I am having it makes me think that some where on my end something is wrong.

I've kept playing occasionally and can tell you the slowdowns surface with some frequency. Since we both have perfectly capable CPU/GPU, I can only suspect that perhaps our storage medium could be a possible bottleneck, when storing the texture cache.

Have you seen that being discussed as a possible issue?
No I did bring that up though and nothing was said so im not sure if that could cause an issue. But my shader cache folder is located on my SSD so I dont see that causing the problems.
I'm still not helping you much but for background information, last night I downloaded and ran the benchmark in the sticky in the "General Discussion" forum and score 7min 48sec, so my slowdowns are definitely not performance related if other people play without these hiccups.

Your system is even more powerful, so this is quite puzzling. I'll keep playing with settings and such.
Hey Saint please can you try playing Mario Galaxy 1, on the logo screen with the space in the background moving do you notice any micro-stuttering?

I think we have the same problem, my stutter problems are with DX11 and not with OpenGL for a reason!
Nope no micro stuttering. But I do get a pretty big fps drop in the menu where you pick your save file if I sit there long enough

LadyLag

I made an account to post this:

I have been trying to play super smash bros brawl without stutter for the last few days. My computer's specs are awesome and changing the internal resolutions etc has no effect whatsoever so this isn't a performance issue. The frame counter reports 60fps the entire time, although it may just not be updating during the stutter to display the drop.

The one thing I wanted to add to this conversation is that in my desperation I watched dolphin with process monitor and noticed that each stutter happens the moment dolphin performs a read on the glshadercache. Apparently this should get better if I stop changing my settings and dolphin versions in an effort to fix the problem if what you guys said is true so I will try that for the next few days, but if anyone comes up with some kind of workaround that would be super duper amazing. I'm also willing to do anything I can to assist you guys in debugging this issue, so just ask if you need logfiles or dumps or what have you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7