Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to play without fps drop or stutter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
You can check if your cpu and gpu is on limit or not. Disable Vsync and set framelimit to "off". Also disable fullscreen so you can see the percentage of emulation. The % should be clear higher than 100 %. If that the case, the stuttering is not cpu/gpu related. If the % going under 100, e.g. 99, the sound stutters if vsync is on. (And i CAN'T play without Vsync, i hate the tearing effect)

I hope i am right. But it's logical in my head.
Not sure if this will help you or not OP, as I was having similar slowdown issues while trying to play Twilight Princess (using about a week old revision). I would get very bad slowdown at 2.5x and even 3x internal resolution when my hardware should be able to handle it. I'm running a similar system to you (see sig - i have a faster CPU, but slightly slower GPU). I got this fix from searching around in other threads:

In the nVidia control panel settings check on your "power management" setting. The default is 'adaptive' which will essentially downclock your card. Change this setting to "prefer maximum performance." This will make sure your card is not underclocking itself in-game.

Enable triple buffering (helps w/ vsync). This was off on my settings by default.

Making these two changes have allowed me to play Twilight Princess at 4x IR w/ no slowdown (I beat the snowpeak ruins last night - ran flawless). I'm going to mess around some more tonight and see if I can enable some AA too. Hope this helps, gl.

----------------------
Edit / Update - I can run w/ 4 samples of AA on w/ basically no slowdown using Direct3D as the back-end w/ these fixes. Game looks incredible in comparison to when I was playing it on my Wii.
wow this power management just saved me from creating a new topic, thanks
(08-16-2014, 03:05 AM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this will help you or not OP, as I was having similar slowdown issues while trying to play Twilight Princess (using about a week old revision). I would get very bad slowdown at 2.5x and even 3x internal resolution when my hardware should be able to handle it. I'm running a similar system to you (see sig - i have a faster CPU, but slightly slower GPU). I got this fix from searching around in other threads:

In the nVidia control panel settings check on your "power management" setting. The default is 'adaptive' which will essentially downclock your card. Change this setting to "prefer maximum performance." This will make sure your card is not underclocking itself in-game.

Enable triple buffering (helps w/ vsync). This was off on my settings by default.

Making these two changes have allowed me to play Twilight Princess at 4x IR w/ no slowdown (I beat the snowpeak ruins last night - ran flawless). I'm going to mess around some more tonight and see if I can enable some AA too. Hope this helps, gl.

----------------------
Edit / Update - I can run w/ 4 samples of AA on w/ basically no slowdown using Direct3D as the back-end w/ these fixes. Game looks incredible in comparison to when I was playing it on my Wii.

I actually had already put it to maximum performance but I have little change to what is happening. Its just a very quick fps drop which results in a stutter. Its not constant for the most part every game I have tried has been smooth. It is just this quick stutter that is being problematic.

In Wind Waker I always get those brief stutters when I am sailing and sometimes when a door opens leading to another room. But other then that it plays just perfect

(08-15-2014, 08:38 AM)Kosake Wrote: [ -> ]You can check if your cpu and gpu is on limit or not. Disable Vsync and set framelimit to "off". Also disable fullscreen so you can see the percentage of emulation. The % should be clear higher than 100 %. If that the case, the stuttering is not cpu/gpu related. If the % going under 100, e.g. 99, the sound stutters if vsync is on. (And i CAN'T play without Vsync, i hate the tearing effect)

I hope i am right. But it's logical in my head.

I tried that and I was about 100% until I got my stutters which dropped the percentage down. I don't believe this is on my end that is causing the trouble. But maybe not?
Would it be possible if this topic could be moved to the support section? I think it belongs there more
It doesnt really matter but okay.
So is it completely normal to get fps/vps drops then?
Just a wild idea: try disabling Aero when you play and see if that does anything. Also, render to main window helps for some reason.
(08-22-2014, 04:07 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Just a wild idea: try disabling Aero when you play and see if that does anything. Also, render to main window helps for some reason.

Didnt help unfortunately.. but thanks for the suggestion
To give an update I just recently tried to play Wind Waker on my wife's PC. She has a i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz and a gtx 760 in there. I get the same results. Lag and stutter when I am sailing and opening chests. So now I am thinking that since its happening on two different PCs that it must either be Dolphin itself or its normal and unavoidable.

Did the original Windwaker get loading stutters? Its been so long since ive played it I cant remember and google comes up with nothing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7