Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ivy Bridge Benchmarks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Intel finally gave us some benchmark information of their new Ivy Bridge CPU compared to an earlier Sandy Bridge CPU.

Both processors have 4 cores, with a clockspeed of 3.4GHz and 8MB cache.
Any change in performance would be thanks a better architecture.

Ivy Bridge compared to a Sandy Bridge
[Image: 1322723443.jpeg]
[Image: 1322723476.jpeg]
Interesting, it seems like going from a Sandy Bridge to an Ivy Bridge isn't going to be the huge switch I was hoping for.
(12-01-2011, 07:15 PM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, it seems like going from a Sandy Bridge to an Ivy Bridge isn't going to be the huge switch I was hoping for.

It all depends on the overclocking potential. If everything else is equal it will be an about 10% increase for the same clock speeds. With my Sandy Bridge i can hit 4,2 ghz at 1,22 volts with stock cooling. If you can overclock the Ivy Bridge close to 5.0 Ghz with no need for extra cooling/voltage for example the benefit might be up to 30%. All in all, it's overclocking potential will play a huge role in how much it is worth, since the new TDP level of the cpu's seems rather conservative from Intel (they lowered it).
(12-01-2011, 11:17 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2011, 07:15 PM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, it seems like going from a Sandy Bridge to an Ivy Bridge isn't going to be the huge switch I was hoping for.

It all depends on the overclocking potential. If everything else is equal it will be an about 10% increase for the same clock speeds. With my Sandy Bridge i can hit 4,2 ghz at 1,22 volts with stock cooling. If you can overclock the Ivy Bridge close to 5.0 Ghz with no need for extra cooling/voltage for example the benefit might be up to 30%. All in all, it's overclocking potential will play a huge role in how much it is worth, since the new TDP level of the cpu's seems rather conservative from Intel (they lowered it).

I'm leaning more towards the Sandy Bridge E i7 3960X right now.
I just can't get that thing out of my head, almost like it was love in first sight.....
so... if someone does not have a sandy bridge CPU and is planning to get a new comp (laptop)

does this mean they should aim straight for ivy bridge, or go for sandy bridge when the price lowers on the ivy bridge release?
Intel doesn't work that way. Intel doesn't lower prices on older cpus until they have been out for many years. They just replace the entire lineup from top to bottom with a new lineup. Ivy bridge will be a much larger step up for laptops then it will be for desktops due to the lower TDP.
Since the news has been all over it the past few days I might as well post it here as well: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-APU...14114.html

@lamedude
Thank you for providing credible data.
So which comparison fits best for Dolphin? I read once the performance was 30% more pr. clock, is that not correct?

Anyway, with the i5 2500k already being almost perfect in most popular games, I assume it will finally be enough (~5% slowdown still in SMG2 some areas = nooooooo)
For the love of god it's not even out yet!!!

Quote: I read once the performance was 30% more pr. clock, is that not correct?

No where close to that even under the BEST circumstances let alone practical application tests.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21