Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Microstutter issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I notice that, even though the gameplay is smooth in all games, there are microstutters present. It's pretty tiny, most people won't even notice, but i do because i'm sensitive to this kind of thing. I also don't remember having this issue a few months ago, or maybe further back. I just decided to come back to Dolhin and emulate some games and i noticed this.

Like i said, it's pretty tiny but it's there. It's like 1 dropped/repeated frame every few seconds. I get this behavior in two different systems, in both Windows 7 and 10. Tried various combinations of vsync and other frame related options through the Dolphin's menu or Nvidia's. I even tried RTSS. But the microstutter is always there.
That one´s shader compilation stuttering.

Get latest dev build, check the option "Compile Shaders Before Starting", and choose one of the options available (try Async - Ubershaders).
(07-21-2018, 01:28 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]That one´s shader compilation stuttering.

Get latest dev build, check the option "Compile Shaders Before Starting", and choose one of the options available (try Async - Ubershaders).

I still get those micro stutters. I also test the same areas, for instance, i'm testing Mario Kart Double Dash - Time Trial on the same track. So even without this option the compilation should be complete after so many times i played it.

This looks like a sync/frame pacing issue to me. I sometimes get it in other apps/games but i can usually fix it. I can't fix Dolphin's case though, no matter what i try. So i gotta ask, do you get perfect frame pacing at all times? Try turning the camera around for 20-30 seconds and see if you see any repeated frames (Try a 60fps game).
Try disabling "Present XFB Immediately". I'm not sure if that fixes this kind of issue, but it's worth a try (unless you already have it disabled, of course).
(07-21-2018, 02:55 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Try disabling "Present XFB Immediately". I'm not sure if that fixes this kind of issue, but it's worth a try (unless you already have it disabled, of course).

That was already disabled by default so i didn't mess with it.

I tried a different monitor, an old CRT. Set it to run at 60hz. I get the same issue there as well. Something falls out of sync. For the first 30-40 seconds or more it's super smooth. But then i get these repeated frames every 10 or 15 seconds. It's actually more noticeable on the CRT, since you don't get the crappy motion blur of modern TVs, everything stays crystal clear so that tiny judder pops up more.

EDIT: I even tried turning off VSYNC completely. So even though i do get screen tears, i still get those judders. It's almost as if the games themselves have them and they are emulated, but i know they don't because on the real Gamecube/Wii they are always smooth.
Sorry for the double post but this might be important.

I tested the RetroArch version of Dolphin. And it's perfect. No microstutters or frame pacing issues, i tested it for more than 5 minutes and i didn't get a single repeated or dropped frame. So at least i know my monitor and TV aren't broken or something and the games themselves don't repeat frames. Or that my system is unable to sync anything on the screen (besides, standalone Dolphin is the only one that gives me this problem and it's so persistent).

Whichever standalone version i try, i get the issue. I also tried the Ishiruka build. Same thing.

There's definitely a sync issue here but the problem is most people probably won't notice or care for it. Which makes it hard to troubleshoot. So i have to ask again, am i the only one who gets affected? Everyone else gets perfect frame rate-pacing after a while (problem reveals itself after 30-40 seconds of smooth gameplay)
What games have you tried?
have you tested it with exclusive fullscreen on and off and others backends, like DX11, GL & Vulkan?

You could also try to turn off Dual Core... btw: does the issue happen on build 5.0?

Edit: like Xharos said, turn OFF "Enable Cheats" newer builds have a regression when you are using cheats issue 10456
Try disabling cheats.
I turned off cheats or Dual core, or both of those. I tried exclusive or windowed full screen. Tried all backends.

Nothing helps.

I use the latest developer version.

The games i try are Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Galaxy 1. Both games should be smooth 60fps at all times. Instead, i get 1 frame of stutter every 30-40 seconds.

If i use the RetroArch/core version of Dolphin, the frame rate is perfect. The issue only appears on the standalone. I know RetroArch has features for perfect audio/video sync so that tells me the standalone doesn't.

I have to ask again. Do you guys see this? Or am i the only one? Try this:

Load Mario Kart double dash and choose time trial, find a large area so you can spin dash around constantly and the world around you rotates at a fast and steady pace. After about 30 or 40 seconds you should see a noticeable judder/stutter. Like it gets stuck for a microsecond or something. This happens every 30 or 40 seconds (on my system at least). It's subtle enough but also very annoying.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8