Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Microstutter issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
It's likely just a per monitor thing.
Every 30-40 seconds likely means it's a system issue (scheduled task, some cache clearing or disk sync - I remember firefox (for example) abusing the synchronous fsync() calls that would cause exactly that sort of jank). It may even be a small clock drift issue - do you have multiple screens on this device? Sometimes the vsync between multiple screens drifts and causes a dropped frame every now and then. I've seen some similar things with various screen recording software implementations too (radeon relive, geforce whatever, the xbox thing that seems auto-enabled on every windows 10 install by default for some insane reason?).

Or it could be dolphin's jit cache getting full and resetting - I think it's possible to see that in one of the log options - but that would likely require a game to be doing something weird as 'most' of the time you wouldn't expect once the game loop has been JIT'd there'd be much extra code needing to be generated over time.
I do have two monitors but i never use them at the same time. I just swap between them sometimes (an old CRT monitor and a big LCD TV).

The stutter appears in both monitors. It also appears in both operating systems (7 and 10).
(08-01-2018, 02:10 PM)Tasoulios Wrote: [ -> ]I do have two monitors but i never use them at the same time. I just swap between them sometimes (an old CRT monitor and a big LCD TV).

The stutter appears in both monitors. It also appears in both operating systems (7 and 10).

Can you test if this happens under Linux?
(08-01-2018, 06:36 PM)Xharos Wrote: [ -> ]Can you test if this happens under Linux?

I don't have a Linux system.

I do have another Windows 7 system though laying around, it only has a Core 2 Duo @3.2 GHz but it should be good enough for native resolution i think. I will test this and report.
I can confirm @Tasoulios issue in Mario Kart Double Dash Time Trial Daisy Stage (just rotate in the beginning of the stage) happens on metroid prime too (I rotate on Tallon Overworld) on build 5.0 and 5.0-4869 (one of the first build with ubershader) I also tried one of the first build with hybrid xfb and no change.

Edit: I changed some settings here and there, including turn on and off progressive scan as well, but nothing changes. I've never used Retroarch dolphin, anyone have a link for that?
(08-02-2018, 11:21 AM)hyperspeed Wrote: [ -> ]I can confirm @Tasoulios issue in Mario Kart Double Dash Time Trial Daisy Stage (just rotate in the beginning of the stage) happens on metroid prime too (I rotate on Tallon Overworld) on build 5.0 and 5.0-4869 (one of the first build with ubershader) I also tried one of the first build with hybrid xfb and no change.

Edit: I changed some settings here and there, including turn on and off progressive scan as well, but nothing changes. I've never used Retroarch dolphin, anyone have a link for that?

Does it happen in the same place? Or is it more of a 'random time' just being more visible when you rotate?

Do you have multiple monitors? Does unplugging all but one help?

Have you disabled all gpu game recording software?

Does disabling arbitrary mipmap detection help?

Does it still occur after the first time? (IE rotating multiple times)? Does it occur when the shader cache is hot (repro once, close dolphin, reopen and try again)?
(08-02-2018, 11:43 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]Does it happen in the same place? Or is it more of a 'random time' just being more visible when you rotate?

Do you have multiple monitors? Does unplugging all but one help?

Have you disabled all gpu game recording software?

Does disabling arbitrary mipmap detection help?

Does it still occur after the first time? (IE rotating multiple times)? Does it occur when the shader cache is hot (repro once, close dolphin, reopen and try again)?

I can answer some of those on my behalf.

It happens all the time. The "rotation test" is only so that you can have the backgrounds move at a fast and steady speed so it can be more noticeable for anyone who wants to see it.

It also doesn't matter if you close Dolphin and re-open it. Even with a complete shader the stutter still occurs. Any Ubershader setting doesn't change anything either.

I don't use any recording software. Both Windows 7 and 10 are pretty fresh and clean with minimal processes.
I have two monitors connected, one at HDMI and the other in another and a TV at HDMI too. I will turn off they later.

I don't have any recording software not even geforce experience.

I can play others games without this issue perfectly like Crash N. HD, RE6, Tales of Berseria, etc.

It's random it happens after 40 sec rotating or so and it keeps happening, if you keep rotating you will see it.
I unplugged the second monitor completely and restarted the computer, to make sure it's not an issue with multiple monitors (despite not using them both anyway). It didn't fix the issue though, i still get those stutters.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8