Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to wire a Wii's Bluetooth Module to a PC USB Port
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know very little about software, but I have spent quite a bit of time over the past few years documenting the everything I can about the Wii's hardware. When I heard that the Bluetooth module is connected to the GPU through USB protocol, it made me wonder: Could I plug it into a computer's USB port?

Yes. Yes you can. Im not sure if this is actually useful to you guys, but I thought I'd share it in case it helps. You can even connect wii remotes to your PC through it.

Here is a quick diagram. You will need either an external 3.3v source (you can use 2 AA batteries in series) or a voltage regulator. Aside from that, its as easy as running a few wires.

[Image: rxKxZNt.png]

It shows up in Mac OS like this:
[Image: xP4Qz9ql.png]

But Windows instantly knows exactly what to do:
[Image: VwFMqKPl.png]

if you hit the sync button on both a wii remote and the bluetooth module...
[Image: 9rMXwtgl.png]
IT WORKS
[Image: iB5BQJJl.png]

So yea there you go. Software isn't really my cup of tea, so I haven't really done anything with it. Again, I have no idea if this is useful, but I thought I would share it with you guys regardless. Enjoy! Big Grin Let me know if you have any questions.

BitBuilt users ShockSlayer and Cheese were essential to making this happen. When creating the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide, they were the ones who figured out that shorting those three 3.3v pins together forces the bluetooth module on. That little trick made the guide possible, and is used in this wiring diagram.
Interesting, but probably completely useless. Wink The sync button still working is a nice feature, though.
Huh, that's pretty interesting!
Moved to hardware...
So who wants to have "perfect" wiimote support? Let's use this chip with dolphin Wink

Just kidding a bit, but this way likely leads to perfect wiimote audio Big Grin

Time to buy a defect wii on ebay.
Nice Smile
Actually it'd be quite interesting to test Wiimote Audio with that Bluetooth Module. Then it would be for sure, whether it is a hardware or software/implementation issue.
I have 3 Wiis. I wonder if I should sacrifice one for this.
You don't need to totally kill the wii. You could solder a plug into the Wii and a USB cable, and then an opposite plug onto the bluetooth module so you could switch between them at will.
@Jhonn: May we move this back to in the development thread? I've looked for this thread several times now, and it's more for developers than all of those threads in "hardware".
Alright, moved back to Development Discussion...