Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to wire a Wii's Bluetooth Module to a PC USB Port
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

parkerlreed

I have the module wired completely inside a little case but the Sync --> 3.3V "button" is not working for me. Bluetooth works great, sees controller, but in both Linux and Windows shorting the two leads I have attached to 3.3V and Sync does nothing.

[Image: 04y0sTx.jpg]

EDIT: I've only been trying the native OS pairing. Should I try the Dolphin passthrough?
Yes, you should use Dolphin's passthrough. There's no reason to expect the sync button to do anything if you're not. It's not a standard Bluetooth feature, so won't be handled by standard Bluetooth software.  Tongue

parkerlreed

(10-20-2017, 09:39 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you should use Dolphin's passthrough. There's no reason to expect the sync button to do anything if you're not. It's not a standard Bluetooth feature, so won't be handled by standard Bluetooth software.  Tongue

Ahh thanks. The first post had me confused since it was showing the native OS pairing in Windows 7 and claiming the button was working...
(07-16-2017, 09:43 AM)Armada Wrote: [ -> ]We're still working on it, progress is being made though slowly.

Hi, Armada.

Can you give us a "quarterly update" on the custom Wii BT dongle for dolphin passthrough?

Regards.
(10-27-2017, 01:32 AM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, Aramada.

Can you give us a "quarterly update" on the custom Wii BT dongle for dolphin passthrough?

Regards.

Current major obstacle is getting a PCB designer for the final design. We'd like someone more experienced to make the design, but it looks like the same designer who did the prototype will have to do it since we can't find anyone else with enough time.
OK. Thanks for the update. It's good to know the project is still going.

PS: and I'm sorry for misspelling your screen name.
I'll add to the experiences already shared here about wiring a bluetooth module.
  • Ordered this Wii BT module, and this 3.3V step-down regulator
  • Following this very helpful diagram, I wired the above to an old USB printer cable I had lying around, giving  myself over a foot of cable to confortable connect to my PC
  • Both PCB's are very small and contact pads in the BT module itself are tiny and difficult to work with
  • I did not do the sync button connection as it is quite easy to sync the controllers through dolphin and the connectivity of the module is so rock solid that you won't be doing that often after you sync it the first time
Some tips:
  • Tons of patience
  • Use a very fine tipped solder gun
  • Drop a small drop of soldering tin on each of the contacts that will be used instead of trying to drop solder over the wire while holding it on top of the contact
  • Drop a dab of solder between the two contiguous 3.3v contacts on the right side of the PCB to bridge them easily
  • I used stranded wire as I find it easier to make it stick and more flexible to maneuver into the contacts
  • Use a multimeter to make sure no two contacts are shorted, except for the two 3.3V pads on the right side which are wired together the one 3.3V on the left side
  • Give the solder 10 seconds or more to cool down and then tug at it lightly with your fingers until you are satisfied that it will not easily detach (this will save headaches later)
  • Before connecting to the computer, I connected the assembly instead to a wall charging plug to make sure nothing blew up
  • While connected to the wall, I used a multimeter to measure 5V and 3.3V on the proper contacts
  • Put some electrical tape over the contacts you soldered to avoid accidental shorts
  • If the module isn't immediately recognized by Windows, you may have a loose lead somewhere: this happened to me two times before I finally got the soldering contacts solid enough
Once working, the connection was great and has not dropped on me once.  Also, I'm able to reconnect all 4 wiimotes with single a button press which is probably the biggest issue with most retail BT module dongles that supposedly work with BT passthrough.  Of course, you also get the normal benefits of BT passthrough: working wiimote speaker audio, smooth wii remote pointer movement, more responsive controls, etc.
Just a heads up, I know electric tape does not insulate radio waves (Bluetooth), but the range of my adapter did seem to get significantly worse once I wrapped the entire finished circuit with electric tape. It might be worth using a different kind of tape.

Aka before I could bring a wii remote two floors up and still have it connected, now it's 1/3 the range.

I hear duct tape can interfere with radio waves as well.
I thought that might be the case to I left the antenna exposed and only wrapped the bottom parts where the contacts are.

Sztrovacsek81

Just made it, installed UsbDk, forced dolphin to use this adapter instead of Intel 8260 (I was only able to connect 2 max 3 wiimotes), and I have to admit: this is the Holy Grail of Dolphin Emulator!
Thank you for the instructions!

These are the settings of Dolphin.ini:

[BluetoothPassthrough]
Enabled = True
VID = 1406
PID = 773
LinkKeys =
[USBPassthrough]
Devices = 057e:0305