Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to wire a Wii's Bluetooth Module to a PC USB Port
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-18-2022, 06:35 AM)DacoTaco Wrote: [ -> ]ah, central europe i could provide with one of my loose pcb's, usa i can't help with :p

Hi DacoTaco, do you still provide your Bluetooth Passthrough V3 Adapters separately? I'm interested in buying one. I'm located in the Netherlands.
(10-21-2023, 10:41 AM)Randy78 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi DacoTaco, do you still provide your Bluetooth Passthrough V3 Adapters separately? I'm interested in buying one. I'm located in the Netherlands.

i sadly don't have the hardware around at the moment to give you a completed pcb, sorry :/
a shame, as shipping wouldn't be much lol
I recently bought some materials to build one of these as I've always been interested in this. I mostly went by the schematic that DacoTaco posted quite a few pages back. This is my first build with not much planning beforehand so its a bit more jank than I hoped, I just got what I needed and went for it... basically designed the layout as the solder iron was heating up. It ended up requiring a lot more jumpers than I thought it would. Tongue

Spoiler:

Because its difficult to buy just one of anything, I have enough materials to build like 9 more. This is everything that went into it.

Spoiler:

If there is interest I may build a few more (up to 9) and potentially sell a couple of them. Probably somewhere around like $35 USD + shipping, maybe a bit less if no bluetooth module is included, but factoring in other costs of parts and labor. I would be building them all by hand so manage expectations. If you would prefer a PCB (not by me) one is available at this site:
https://www.abbiedoobie.com/product/blue...h-adapter/

I solder a lot for both work and as a hobby, but I'm far from perfect at drilling/cutting holes for like the sync button and the USB port. With that said I would make it look as good as I can. This project wouldn't net much of a profit, and it would be a ton of work, but to me its more of a fun hobby project and could put one in the hands of someone who wouldn't otherwise have one. I wouldn't go as far as setting up a store page or anything as it would be a very limited run, maybe just like a PayPal transaction or something.

If I were to build a few more and sell some of these I would obviously make sure they function 100%, pass rigorous durability tests, and show a picture of the end result before taking any money and sending them out. While they would all use the same parts, each one would most likely turn out unique from the others. Right now I'm just gauging interest as I would have to order more bluetooth modules if desired, so if you are interested you can contact me at bighead.0@gmail.com.
(10-22-2023, 05:04 AM)DacoTaco Wrote: [ -> ]i sadly don't have the hardware around at the moment to give you a completed pcb, sorry :/
a shame, as shipping wouldn't be much lol

I don't need the PCB right away, I'm temporarily using an Orico BTA-408 which works great but occasionally has trouble reconnecting the Wii remotes.

So if you ever have the necessary hardware around again, I will be happy to wait for it.
I have been looking into this recently and I wonder this:
Everyone seems to be stepping down the USB 5V supply to 3.3v, but SATA power connectors have a 3.3v line. If I wanted to just leave the adapter inside my PC permanently, could I wire the ground and 3.3v pads to a cut up SATA connector from my PSU and the DATA+ and DATA- lines to the corresponding pins on a USB header on the motherboard? I don't know if the grounds (of the USB header on the mobo and the SATA power connector direct to the PSU) would be different? Can someone chime in on if this is a bad idea please? The OP mentions using an external power source but nothing about whether the supply ground should be connected to the USB ground.
(01-13-2024, 08:52 PM)Bignacho Wrote: [ -> ]I have been looking into this recently and I wonder this:
Everyone seems to be stepping down the USB 5V supply to 3.3v, but SATA power connectors have a 3.3v line. If I wanted to just leave the adapter inside my PC permanently, could I wire the ground and 3.3v pads to a cut up SATA connector from my PSU and the DATA+ and DATA- lines to the corresponding pins on a USB header on the motherboard? I don't know if the grounds (of the USB header on the mobo and the SATA power connector direct to the PSU) would be different? Can someone chime in on if this is a bad idea please? The OP mentions using an external power source but nothing about whether the supply ground should be connected to the USB ground.

could it work? potentially, probably. in a PSU the GND is often shared, which could make this work.
but know it would be kinda dodgy to do so :p

but it could work, as many pc accessories use psu voltages as input instead of the connector
You better find a way to make the antenna external. A BT module with its antenna inside the PC case will have poor or no signal.

If your PC has glass side panel that could work.
(01-17-2024, 07:29 AM)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]You better find a way to make the antenna external. A BT module with its antenna inside the PC case will have poor or no signal.

If your PC has glass side panel that could wor

I see you mentioned previously in this thread about attempting an antenna mod - I'm guessing it was unsuccessful?
(01-17-2024, 07:29 AM)trihy Wrote: [ -> ]You better find a way to make the antenna external. A BT module with its antenna inside the PC case will have poor or no signal.

If your PC has glass side panel that could work.

oh ye, legit. the pc case is a huge farraday cage
(01-17-2024, 09:28 PM)Bignacho Wrote: [ -> ]I see you mentioned previously in this thread about attempting an antenna mod - I'm guessing it was unsuccessful?

It wont be that hard to separate the antenna from the module.

Guess you can just cut the antenna trace on the bt module and solder an antenna connector or any other antenna that complain with BT antenna specs (Just around 3cm wire or so its a bt antenna)

Probably the latest component on the board before the antenna should be placed with the antenna if you plan to have it far from the bt module, to avoid making the device think it has a weird long antenna now.