Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 Release Candidate Official Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[Image: 50.jpg]

In the spirit of previous release candidates, this is the official 5.0 Release Candidate thread! After the July Progress Report, we've noticed that there have been some misconception and confusion about the new release. This thread is meant to clarify some of those issues, and provide everyone with a place to talk about the release, ask questions, and talk about testing.

To reiterate what was said in the July Progress Report, 5.0 is being handled differently. Instead stopping all development, testing, and then making the release as we have done in the past, Dolphin 5.0 is following a divergent development method. Dolphin 5.0 was forked away from Dolphin-master at 4.0-6727, and master has continued to develop. This kind of breaks the usual naming conventions and will take some getting used to, but this allows us to keep making Dolphin awesome while working on a release. Remember that the 5.0 release candidate is separate from the development builds; do not assume that because something is fixed/broken in master it is fixed/broken in the release candidate!

Also, the 5.0 Release Candidate is following a rolling release model. Basically, there will not be a single release candidate, but multiple ones as bugs are fixed and changes made, much like development builds. They will be labeled 5.0-rc-1, 5.0-rc-2, etc etc. After each new release candidate is released, this thread will be updated with a notice. And feel free to ask any questions you may have here as well!

Right now, what we need more than anything is testers! 4.0 had two bugfix releases because it didn't get enough testing before it was released, and no one wants that to happen again.

Here are some tips for really good testing:
  • Run the Release Candidates with all of your games! It's important that we test as many as possible. If a whole lot of people just play all of the games they have and report anything odd, it will go a long way to testing them all.
  • Try everything the game has! Use that secondary item that you avoid because of how lame it is, play a few minutes of that awful minigame that you never touch, try the multiplayer you haven't tested for a while, on and on. Most of the bugs in the main gameplay of popular games are caught and fixed fairly quickly, but even popular games can have regressions hiding in things that most people don't bother using. Fixing weird little bugs like that will commonly fix big bugs is lesser know games!
  • Use weird settings! Dolphin 4.0 actually released with single core completely broken!. An important component of the emulator was totally non-functional, and no one knew because no one had bothered to even try it! So, try running a few of your games with unusual settings, like single core, disable Idle Skipping, or XFB Virtual/Real. And you can try all of those weird things you never use, like Enable Screen Saver,  Enable Wireframe, Texture Format Overlay, Show Statistics, on and on. Making sure those all still work is important too.

When you find something weird, you can talk about it here, in the IRC (#dolphin-emu on irc.freenode.net), or post an issue report with [RC] in front of the name.

I have some questions :

If I understand well, 5.0 RC1 is forked from 4.0-6727, and is the beginning of the "stable" branch?
Does it means that all fixes, stability commits that fixes 5.0 RC stability issues that users report will be merged in the "stable" branch? and that 5.0 RC2, etc, ..., 5.0 final builds will coming from the "stable" branch?
Will these stability commits also be merged on master?
What will happen to the "stable" branch after 5.0 final will be released?
Oh, I'll need to handle all of these one at a time.

DrHouse64 Wrote:If I understand well, 5.0 RC1 is forked from 4.0-6727, and is the beginning of the "stable" branch?

Technically, the stable branch was forked at 4.0-6727, and RC1 was built from the stable branch. The future release candidates will be built from the stable branch as well. It isn't really clear yet how often release candidates will be made; everyone is kind of new at this way of doing things, so we're kind of figuring it out as we go. (see Post #5)

DrHouse64 Wrote:Does it means that all fixes, stability commits that fixes 5.0 RC stability issues that users report will be merged in the "stable" branch?

Yes... but please test the release candidate builds, not the stable builds. The release candidates are meant as a fixed point of reference, and that really really helps us with bug hunting. (see Post #5) If you want the absolute latest fixes and features, use the development builds as always.

DrHouse64 Wrote:Will these stability commits also be merged on master?

Yep! Though it may not be at the exact same time... Ideally the fixes are applied to stable first, and then stable is merged into master, like this. But sometimes Armada will cherry pick fixes from master if someone didn't merge a fix to stable. Right now stable has kind of fallen behind, since Armada has had some "real life" things occupying him this week. (see Post #5)

DrHouse64 Wrote:What will happen to the "stable" branch after 5.0 final will be released?

It will be deleted or abandoned, just as the stable branch has been after all of the prior releases. The stable branch exists only as a place to get the release together, once there is a release it will have no purpose.

Update: Crossed out incorrect/no longer correct information!
I asked this in development discussion, but didn't receive a response. Will you be making release candidates in deb packages as well as windows/mac packages?
5.0-rc-5 is now available on the download page! Unfortunately all rc builds show up as 5.0-rc for the time being, but that should be addressed soon. Everyone please remember to use the latest release candidate when testing!

NKF98 Wrote:Will you be making release candidates in deb packages as well as windows/mac packages?

The buildbot was set to only build DEBs on master, and not PRs or branches. That is now corrected. Big Grin

Unfortunately DEB release candidates apparently still think they are "dolphin-emu-master" though. Sad Hopefully that will be addressed soon. But it will still show the proper release candidate name in the titlebar.

DrHouse64 Wrote:If I understand well, 5.0 RC1 is forked from 4.0-6727, and is the beginning of the "stable" branch?

Also, Armada is back! And I have some new information. Every time there is any change to stable, there will be a new release candidate version. So it works kind of like development builds. But still, please test the release candidates and not the stable branch. We've presented it on the download page to coordinate users, and any one of these release candidates could potentially be Dolphin 5.0!
I've taken them down to fix the numbering issue, they should be back in a matter of minutes. They should also have Ubuntu packages... with the caveat that MaJoR mentioned.
Thank you for all your answers MaJoR Smile

PedroPM

Hello Guys.

I have some questions regarding 5.0:

1-Will save games started In 4.0.2 be compatible with this new version?

2-Is this version optimized for all levels of Laptop´s/PC´s. You know, like Medium Range specs and stuff. I have no problems playing the games I like with my laptop which Is medium range at best, but I want to know If by chance this version Increases the specs need to play games or It stays the same?

3-And last, can you give at this stage a possible estimate of release? Not a exact one because that´s a bit stupid but you know like a best guess like 3 weeks a 1 month or so.

Thanks and continue the good work guys, I love the emulator.
(08-13-2015, 12:23 AM)PedroPM Wrote: [ -> ]1-Will save games started In 4.0.2 be compatible with this new version?

Yes, if you saved the normal way inside the game. Dolphin's savestates aren't compatible.

(08-13-2015, 12:23 AM)PedroPM Wrote: [ -> ]2-Is this version optimized for all levels of Laptop´s/PC´s. You know, like Medium Range specs and stuff. I have no problems playing the games I like with my laptop which Is medium range at best, but I want to know If by chance this version Increases the specs need to play games or It stays the same?

The performance will be better than in 4.0, but there will still be many computers that can't run it well enough. If you can run 4.0 without problems, you should be able to run 5.0 without problems.

dolphinlinuxmint172xfce

In my case stay testing RC5 on linux and works good

System Specs

Nvidia Drivers 355.00.05
Linux Mint 17.2 Raffaela XFCE Edition 64Bit - Kernel 4.0.0-040000-generic (ubuntu mainline)
CPU: INTEL Pentium G3220 (Haswell 22nm) 3.0Ghz
MEM: 8GB DDR3 1333 (2x4) Patriot value (dual channel: 21.3 gb/s)
GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 1800Mhz 64Bit (14.4Gb/s)
BOARD: MSI H81M E33

Simpsons Road Rage

Smile
System Specs

Nvidia Drivers 355.00.05
Linux Mint 17.2 Raffaela XFCE Edition 64Bit - Kernel 4.0.0-040000-generic (ubuntu mainline)
GPU: Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm: 384 Shaders / 8 ROPS) Zone Edition Passive Cooling 2GB DDR3 1800Mhz 64Bit (14.4Gb/s)

Simpsons Road Rage 50fps Recording

However when stay recording loss around 10% of cpu when stay recording at 30fps and around 20% when stay recording at 60fps

Smile
System Specs

Nvidia Drivers 355.00.05

Tatsunono vs Capcom 50fps Recording

However when stay recording loss around 10% of cpu when stay recording at 30fps and around 20% when stay recording at 60fps

Smile
System Specs

Nvidia Drivers 355.00.05

Kirby Return to Dreamland 50fps Recording

Smile
System Specs

Nvidia Drivers 355.00.05

Wii Party 50fps Recording

Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7