Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Next Stable Release?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Please don't take this thread as an impatiant demand. I appreciate the hard work put into the emulator by all devs. I just don't know how consistent releases are is all. I have some weird issue with my 64 bit machine(both OS, and CPU obviously) where closing the 64 bit emulator causes a the app to not respond, and clicking the small error window it gives me causes it to not respond and gives me the "close program" button. Since the development releases are 64 bit only, Im stuck doing this annoying, but tolerable method. Yes I could switch to the last stable version, but there are many fixes for games I run that are worth going dev version, and plus Project M HD texture pack is now using the new texture loading method. So since you obviously have no clue when the emulator will be solid enough for a stable release, I was just wondering if it could be estimated? Were the previous stable releases consistent? 
(06-25-2015, 05:39 PM)Winchester7314 Wrote: [ -> ]So since you obviously have no clue when the emulator will be solid enough for a stable release, I was just wondering if it could be estimated?

"So since you have no idea when it will be ready, when will it be ready?"
(06-25-2015, 05:57 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]Winchester7314So since you obviously have no clue when the emulator will be solid enough for a stable release, I was just wondering if it could be estimated?

You're overly simplifying what I said to make me sound stupid, not sure that's necessary....I'm asking your opinion....O-P-I-N-I-O-N. When do YOU think the next stable release will be? Are the issues with the current dev release closer to a finished product, or are they still considered to be closer to the last stable release? What kinds of things are the developers hoping to accomplishe before considering it worthy of stable release? 

cybercjt

(06-25-2015, 05:57 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2015, 05:39 PM)Winchester7314 Wrote: [ -> ]So since you obviously have no clue when the emulator will be solid enough for a stable release, I was just wondering if it could be estimated?

Cool
if i were to estimate, i would say the next stable release would come out around

never tbh

there was discussion earlier about removing stable versions altogether and having only nightlies
(06-25-2015, 06:02 PM)Winchester7314 Wrote: [ -> ]You're overly simplifying what I said to make me sound stupid, not sure that's necessary....I'm asking your opinion....O-P-I-N-I-O-N. When do YOU think the next stable release will be? Are the issues with the current dev release closer to a finished product, or are they still considered to be closer to the last stable release? What kinds of things are the developers hoping to accomplishe before considering it worthy of stable release? 

My understanding was that there was no desire to put out another 'stable' release, due to the complexities that come with that. Not to say that it won't happen.

Ideally to put out a 'stable' release, you need to have a code freeze and then fix as many bugs as possible, and then you have your stable release. Patches can be applied to that release version to fix any bugs that are found later.

This leads to 2 problems.

1 - You now have 2 branches to maintain.
2 - Development is slowed down as things can only get into release that are considered ready.

I think that in the past, development versions of Dolphin were just tagged with a version number and released (I could be wrong). This is fine, but if critical bugs are found in the release, the best you can do is fix that issue in the latest development build and tag that as another release. This will also include all the changes that took place between the releases, and therefore likely introduce new bugs.

The dolphin development does make it very easy to download any historical development version. If you had success with build 6080, you can get that again at any point, and install it on any/all of your computers. Though, periodically installing the latest can be very beneficial.

I must add that I am not a contributor to dolphin, so I might be wrong on the above, but that is my understanding from previous discussions.
they didn't just tag a dev version as stable, they specifically tested a version to make it suitable for stable (that was over a year ago though, and when an application update multiple times a day, you can't expect to have the stable work as well as the dev)
So stable might be out the window huh? See, I didn't know that. That's why I ask these questions, then people feel the need to be as sarcastic for no reason. Thanks for the info @NKF98 and @EightPence. The bug I experience isn't particularly dolphins fault, but just one of those quirky bugs that is due to your specific system,so downgrading doesn't help something that is in all 64 bit to begin with, and plus I mention the desire for the new texture loading method. So hopefully when I upgrade to windows 10, this bug with my OS not liking 64 bit dolphin will vanish. If not it must be my CPU for god knows what reason(it's a 64 bit processor otherwise my OS wouldn't be Tongue ) Do you think they might add 32 bit releases here or there during development releases?
no, there was an article a little while back called "an obituary for 32bit" or something to that effect. development has completely stopped dealing with 32bit for a variety of reasons. there isn't a real reason for you to use 32bit, windows discs can install 32 or 64, and if your processor doesn't support 64bit, then it probably is incapable of running dolphin anyways.

EDIT: next guy got it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8