Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenGL = Screen Tearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I don't know how long this has been going on since I skipped a lot of releases and didn't make a note of which one I recently upgraded from (probably something in the 3.0-4.0 range), but as of right now I'm unable to get rid of screen tearing when using OpenGL ONLY. In D3D it works fine. I've checked on both an nvidia and AMD gpu system (both CPUs are intel). System specs for each system:

1: Intel i7-2600, Radeon 6870, 8GB RAM
2: Intel i7-4710HQ, Nvidia GTX 850M, 12GB RAM

I've tried to force this setting through the CCC and NCP programs, no effect in dolphin except in D3D. Am I missing something? vsync is enabled in dolphin's OpenGL settings.

I'm running the latest build. I'd rather not use D3D as it has a few glitches in the games I want to play, plus it runs slower on my systems.
This definitely happens to me, and it's a pretty common issue ever since the whole exclusive fullscreen thing IIRC. Unless it's a different issue; does the issue occur if you uncheck fullscreen and just run it windowed? If so, it's the same problem I have, and I would like to bring it to the attention of the dev team, however I can do that.
No it doesn't happen in windowed mode, only full screen. When windowed vsync appears to work. Is there a fix for this common issue or is it just a known bug that hasn't been gotten to yet?
I don't use windowed mode much either... I've submitted it to the issue tracker, but so far they say they can't reproduce the issue.
I don't get why this is happening to you guys. I can't reproduce this issue in a multi-monitor situation.
I can't reproduce it either and i have a single monitor and nvidia gpu.
I have asked multiple times if there are any relevant settings I should be checking. Should I force-enable it using the Nvidia control panel or some other 3rd party program? Are there other graphics settings that could affect frame rendering/Vsync? It's clear that this is not just some random issue that one person has; I've seen multiple people complain about it and I have reason to believe it has something to do with exclusive fullscreen mode.

EDIT: As per JMC47's suggestion on the issue tracker, I tried disabling Aero. No change, except for the fact that I strangely started dropping TONS of frames. Regardless, the tearing still persists. Also, LTTP, are you using a desktop or laptop/is that information relevant at all?
(09-21-2014, 02:15 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]I have asked multiple times if there are any relevant settings I should be checking. Should I force-enable it using the Nvidia control panel or some other 3rd party program? Are there other graphics settings that could affect frame rendering/Vsync? It's clear that this is not just some random issue that one person has; I've seen multiple people complain about it and I have reason to believe it has something to do with exclusive fullscreen mode.

EDIT: As per JMC47's suggestion on the issue tracker, I tried disabling Aero. No change, except for the fact that I strangely started dropping TONS of frames. Regardless, the tearing still persists. Also, LTTP, are you using a desktop or laptop/is that information relevant at all?

I did a bit of testing on my laptop. The issue appears only when the full-screen window is in focus. See, I typically run a 2 or 3-monitor display when home, and if I run Dolphin on the main monitor in OpenGL and keep that fullscreen window in focus, the tearing occurs. If I click outside and put another window in focus, it stops, so it appears to be an issue when the full-screen display is in focus only. I tried this on Wind Waker and Pokemon XD. I haven't tried any Wii games yet so I'm not sure if it happens there. With regards to the tearing, it is very noticeable on Wind Waker, you can see it easily by letting the title screen display. There's a lot of sweeping horizontal camera movements to give you a good look. It's not a single tear either, typically it's several per frame.

Another thing might be helpful in diagnosing: I tried recording the shot using OBS (streaming software for twitch, youtube, etc.), and the tearing didn't show in the recordings at all, though it did show on the live preview. I don't know if that means anything, but if it helps then great.

I also tried disabling Aero (I think, I put it on the high contrast theme since in Windows 8 there's no basic theme), it didn't help at all in fullscreen, and it actually prevents the game from displaying in windowed mode (Just a black screen), so that's out. I wasn't able to test on my Windows 7 desktop as it's currently out of commission with a bad hard drive.

It doesn't appear to be performance related either, as I tried using throttlestop to manually set the CPU multiplier and see where the threshold of CPU usage was, and Wind Waker's title screen at least ran a steady 30fps until the CPU was running under 1.4GHz. Seeing as it typically runs at 3.3GHz in turbo or 2.5GHz at regular, there's plenty of overhead. I checked GPU usage using MSI afterburner too and GPU usage is around 50%, so it would appear my hardware isn't being taxed much at all. Temps are fine, no higher than 80C which is normal for this laptop (60C and no issues if I disable turbo), so it's not throttling either.
It's possibly not a bug in Dolphin's end then, but rather the OS or display or specific GPU or something? I don't know that much about vsync.
(09-21-2014, 07:43 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It's possibly not a bug in Dolphin's end then, but rather the OS or display or specific GPU or something? I don't know that much about vsync.

I don't experience it in anything else though. I suppose it's possible, but to have it spread across both an 850M and 6870 kind of rules out a single driver problem, and windows 7 vs 8.1 rules out an OS problem, and running on different displays rules out the monitor (I had three to test from plus the laptop's screen, all exhibited the problems). I suppose it could be possible with a setting configuration in my 3 year old Windows 7 install, but my windows 8 install is pretty much stock, only 1 week old and just updated to the most recent version. The two computers are different brands too, Asus vs Dell, plus the Dell has a clean OS install so no manufacturer crapware on it.

I'm open to suggestions if there's anyone that thinks they know of a possible fix, whether it's inside or outside dolphin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9