Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenGL = Screen Tearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Any ideas here?
Ive had the same issue also on recent dev builds. I havent found a way to fix it yet, so I just play in D3D for now
Can we take this to someone who really knows this side of Dolphin? D3D isn't a very good option for me, it stutters like crazy.
It's hard to bring it to someone because for all of the developers I've talked to, OpenGL and vsync get along fine.
Then what do you suggest? I'm not just going to sit around and hope it magically fixes itself.
I found out something weird. When I turn OFF vsync the tearing problem is greatly reduced. It's not gone completely, but it much better than before. Any idea why that might be?

(regardless, D3D is completely out of the question here. There's a ton more stuttering and it introduces occasional glitches/crashes on some games that I play, plus the CPU performance increase means I cannot stream/record anything, which is the whole reason I use Dolphin in the first place)

EDIT: Wait no I lied. It would appear there is no screen tearing on my HDMI out port on my laptop ONLY. VGA and the built-in panel both still exhibit problems.
Even after trying MORE combinations of Vsync being on/off using the program and Nvidia control panel, the problem persists. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the tearing is much worse on games that are capped at 30fps. I've said this multiple times, but I think the fault lies in whatever revision it was that made changes to exclusive fullscreen. 2543 I think it was? There's even a post on the issue tracker that reports the same issues we're having, but again, JMC47 couldn't reproduce the issue. I'm getting really fed up with this problem being brushed aside--I'd really like someone to help investigate more in-depth with this.
We're not brushing it aside, we literally can't reproduce it. There's an obvious solution though that everyone's avoiding; we should provide the same option in OpenGL to disable Exclusive Fullscreen as D3D. I don't know why no one has done that.
(09-27-2014, 09:02 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]We're not brushing it aside, we literally can't reproduce it. There's an obvious solution though that everyone's avoiding; we should provide the same option in OpenGL to disable Exclusive Fullscreen as D3D. I don't know why no one has done that.

I understand if you can't reproduce it, but it sounds like there is an idea as to what is causing it, so is there any way we can disable exclusive fullsreen on our own? In a settings file perhaps, or would it require an edit of the source code?
Unfortunately, I don't know how to build... but if I did, isn't it possible to just undo the changes in the files from the PR that enabled exclusive fullscreen in OGL?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9