Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Store per game configuration?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hello, I know Dolphin works configuring settings on a per game basis as shown on the GameSettings folder.
There are games though that need other settings to be changed, settings that cannot be mapped to those ini files. For example VSync in F-Zero GX or the many settings Super Mario Sunshine needs (Anisotropic 1x, Texture Filtering: off, etc).

How does Dolphin works? You set it to the crappiest settings and play all games without worrying? or whenever you want to play a game, check on dolphin wiki, change the settings and play? I'm on a front end like HyperSpin so I would like to have everything set prior to playing.

Thanks for help.
VSync, AF, and Force Texture Filtering can all be controlled via the per-game .ini files. Have you seen this thread? - https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...s-per-game
No, thanks for link, but that raises the question, are there non-storeable settings?

and more importantly, why would I need that thread, aren't default .ini already configured?
(06-09-2014, 05:04 AM)Dogway Wrote: [ -> ]No, thanks for link, but that raises the question, are there non-storeable settings?

and more importantly, why would I need that thread, aren't default .ini already configured?

A lot of games are but unfortunately not every game is in the database. Quality settings are also a matter of personal taste and pc performance; you might choose to break something willingly for better performance.
There are only a few settings that can't be configured via .ini files (the Widescreen hack is one? I think it is up for being added soon if not). But no, not every .ini file is "perfectly" pre-configured to every user's needs.

That thread is exactly what you're looking for. Want to set AF to 1x in SMS and turn off Texture Filtering? Edit the game's .ini file. Want to mess around with VSync in F-Zero? Edit the game's .ini file. The .ini files are there so you can have custom settings fit for your needs for each game, especially for front-ends where you can't (and really shouldn't) have to fiddle around manually with the settings before playing.

Now, how to get those "perfect" settings in the first place? Mostly a combination of reading the wiki and trial and error.
Yes, I know some guys like to crank up settings, but that is not the question. My concern is for accuracy, I was playing Mario Sunshine and it was slow, with audio stutter, and the goo of the initial foe wasn't rendering on the ground, and I wouldn't think a more tested game for GameCube than Super Mario Sunshine (with correct .ini settings and all), my system is powerful so that is out of the question, using only 2x IR too.

Shonumi, yes that thread helps, my topic is more towards overall Dolphin mechanism with settings, and not about configurable settings themselves. What I meant in my above paragraph is that one would think that per game settings are always "safe" settings, shouldn't break anything, and more important, override default settings, but I boot up Super Mario Sunshine and all the crappy settings I set on my earlier session are there over the "safe" Sunshine settings.
I already answered that question. Only a few items are not storeable via the .ini files. That thread I linked to tells you everything that can currently be stored. If it's not on there, it's not "storeable".

This is the first you've brought up the accuracy issue. The goo needs EFB set to RAM, which is already correctly preconfigured for SMS in the .ini file. If you open the graphics menu, however, you will override this setting if you have EFB copies set to Texture.

You haven't posted your hardware specs, so it's impossible for us to know if this is a hardware issue either. Plenty of people in the past have come here not knowing the hardware requirements for Dolphin but assuming their PC was up to snuff. You should at least fill out your HW info in your user profile just to make sure.
(06-09-2014, 06:24 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]This is the first you've brought up the accuracy issue. The goo needs EFB set to RAM, which is already preconfigured for SMS in the .ini file. If you open the graphics menu, however, you will override this setting if you have EFB copies set to Texture.

Well, in my book (and I thought developer's too) accuracy (ability to play) comes before Ultra HD graphics, so I didn't mention that.

While that is true ON a session, what I said is, boot up Sunshine it will keep "EFB set to Texture" from last session, when game ini should be overriding that.

edit: you clearly didn't read my above post's edit, sorry for that.
You should have been clear from the beginning about what your problem was (.ini settings apparently not taking priority in SMS). Make sure you don't open the Graphics menu at all during gameplay. If that doesn't work, right-click SMS in Dolphin, go to Properties, and you'll see an Edit Config button somewhere in the window that pops up. This should take you to the .ini file associated with SMS. Make sure the [Video_Hacks] section looks something like this:

Code:
[Video_Hacks]
EFBToTextureEnable = False
EFBCopyEnable = True

See if that works.
I should, you should, we should. I knew nothing, it's a thread so half answers produce new questions.

That code is existant, and yet when I played SMS [GMSE01], audio had stutter, and goo was missing. That is what I am trying to say from the begginning, GMSE01.ini is the untouched ini bundled with Dolphin, but when I play SMS it plays wrong, why? (if you are still wondering about my specs, check my profile).

edit: an example to GMSE01.ini

Code:
# GMSE01 - Super Mario Sunshine

[Core]
# Values set here will override the main dolphin settings.

[Video_Hacks]
EFBToTextureEnable = False
EFBCopyEnable = True

does this mean that whatever is inside [core] overrides Dolphin settings but what is inside [Video_Hacks] not? (forcing you to apply the changes every single time)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6