Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Obituary for 32-bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
New article on the Dolphin blog - https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/05/19/obituary-32bit/

Feel free to discuss the article on this thread.

Previously discussed in the Removing Support for 32bit windows? thread.
Finally the end of 32-bit era, I guess.
So, I still see newer builds having 32-bit version, the drop already occurred or this is just a pre-announcement?
It occurred just before the article went up. The 32bit buildbot is no more. In the coming days/weeks the 32bit-specific code will be removed from Dolphin.
Those speed charts say it all.
That was shocking to me. I know people will argue me on my other charts, but that one is rock solid, no matter what settings I used, 32-bit is really slow.
(05-20-2014, 12:01 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]...no matter what settings I used, 32-bit is really slow.

I strongly agree
32bit software need to go , now if only firefox would follow in dolphins footsteps , the only thing 64 bit cant do is a decent media player , the 64bit version of mpc-hc and vlc both suck
media player should also improve a lot because of 64 bit. Decoding videos is a register intensiv work.
Most of the high-performance decoding is done using hand-written XMM/YMM assembly where the number of GPRs does not really matter.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8