Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Obituary for 32-bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I think that it is also worth noting that now we are seeing games that don't even support 32bit
(05-21-2014, 12:24 AM)Tuco Benedicto Wrote: [ -> ]Virtually any single CPU on the market has been a 64 bit one for the last 10 years, at this point.
People who keep clinging to a 32 bit OS need to move on.
[nitpick]Core Duo/Solo ('06) and some Atoms('08) say hi.[/nitpick]
Don't forget the first consumer grade 64-bit CPU - the Athlon 64. 2003 says hi.
B-b-but my Prescott Pentium 4 Extreme Edition! Is it not extreme enough for you guys? :'(

RIP 8fps Wind Waker. /salute
Why keep the Android 32-bit version around if 32-bit causes such maintenance headaches? The first ARM processors that are fast enough to emulate Gamecube at full speed are going to be 64-bit anyway, and within two years probably almost all high end smart phones and tablets will be 64 bit.
The problem isn't 32-bit in and of itself. The problem is 32-bit x86. 32-bit arm is so radically different that it is entirely separate from x86_32 anyway.
Streeter Wrote:B-b-but my Prescott Pentium 4 Extreme Edition! Is it not extreme enough for you guys? :'(

It is. P4E has supported 64 bit since the second generation (prescott), in 2004.
Here on my office PC I can see the effect mentioned. It's a Lenovo with Windows 7 32-bit. I installed alongside it Linux Mint 64 bit, because it's actually a 64bit cpu.
Do they make fruit free ARMv8 CPUs? Kinda hard to drop 32bit Android without them.
If you are going to drop major features, I think you should try to do it after a major release, after you have a nicely working final 32-bit version you can be proud of. I thought your timing with dropping D3D9 was terrible in that regard.
The other thing that was handled badly last time was that you immediately changed a whole lot of other things for no reason (paths, constant names, etc.) that made it needlessly difficult for other forks, or to port features.
Also, warnings would be good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8