Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to change dolphin framerate to be more like wii? (more details below)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I find the the dolphin emulator slowdowns are a bit different than PC game or console game slowdowns. When dolphin has framerate issues it looks like it's in slow motion. When PC/console games have framerate problems, it's more choppy like it's missing frames but still running at a fixed framerate. Know what I mean? How do I fix the framerate in dolphin to be more like PC and console games?

Also, how do these things I found for increasing framerate?

"5. If above tips don’t work, change the affinity of your cores in Task ManagerDisable it and enable it one by one, for some reason you will gain speed increase."

"Set dolphin to high priority.

How do you do the widescreen hack and does that slow the processor down?

My PC specs:

Windows 7
Quad core amd 2.6 ghz
6GB DDR3
(09-20-2012, 06:01 AM)tapirtoon Wrote: [ -> ]I find the the dolphin emulator slowdowns are a bit different than PC game or console game slowdowns. When dolphin has framerate issues it looks like it's in slow motion. When PC/console games have framerate problems, it's more choppy like it's missing frames but still running at a fixed framerate. Know what I mean? How do I fix the framerate in dolphin to be more like PC and console games?

Also, how do these things I found for increasing framerate?

"5. If above tips don’t work, change the affinity of your cores in Task ManagerDisable it and enable it one by one, for some reason you will gain speed increase."

"Set dolphin to high priority.

How do you do the widescreen hack and does that slow the processor down?

My PC specs:

Windows 7
Quad core amd 2.6 ghz
6GB DDR3

You can't change the way FPS works with Dolphin's games.

The things your doing won't do very much to help you framerate, but may help some.
Dolphin's "frame skip" settings can be used to spend less time rendering frames which might be slowing down games.
It is a similar situation to your PC games settling with choppy video to avoid slowdown.
This is only useful if your GPU is the bottleneck which is often the case with PC games. It is usually not the case with Dolphin.
i.e. It probably will not help.

The "widescreen hack" should not affect performance.
Just enable it. It usually makes sense to then set the aspect ratio to stretch or force 16:9.
Frameskip probably won't help much, seeing as you have a pretty damn good GPU. If you have adequate cooling, overclocking your CPU will be much more helpful.

If you can't find it, the widescreen hack is in Graphics > Advanced, near the bottom.
We don't even know what cpu he has, all he said was:
Quote:Quad core amd 2.6 ghz

Quote:How do I fix the framerate in dolphin to be more like PC and console games?

You can't. Framerate and gamespeed are synced on GC/Wii games.
(09-20-2012, 07:30 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]We don't even know what cpu he has, all he said was:

Quote:How do I fix the framerate in dolphin to be more like PC and console games?

Yeah, but his question hardly related to his specs anyway. His main question was just about the difference between the way the GC/Wii handle game speed and the way a PC game does.
(09-20-2012, 08:19 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2012, 07:30 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]We don't even know what cpu he has, all he said was:

Yeah, but his question hardly related to his specs anyway. His main question was just about the difference between the way the GC/Wii handle game speed and the way a PC game does.

Yeah. Is there a way to force a fixed framerate? Is my processor good enough? I do have an AMD Radeon 6870, so I know that the graphics card isn't causing problems. Any sites on settings that will make games run smoothly?
Quote:Yeah. Is there a way to force a fixed framerate?

You can cap the framerate but there is no way to stop your framerate from going down if your hardware isn't capable of maintaining a high framerate, if that's what you mean.

Quote: Is my processor good enough?

We don't know because you didn't list it.

Quote:I do have an AMD Radeon 6870, so I know that the graphics card isn't causing problems. Any sites on settings that will make games run smoothly?

Give us your cpu model. Then we'll tell you if you can run games smoothly.
(09-21-2012, 01:49 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Yeah. Is there a way to force a fixed framerate?

You can cap the framerate but there is no way to stop your framerate from going down if your hardware isn't capable of maintaining a high framerate, if that's what you mean.

Quote: Is my processor good enough?

We don't know because you didn't list it.

Quote:I do have an AMD Radeon 6870, so I know that the graphics card isn't causing problems. Any sites on settings that will make games run smoothly?

Give us your cpu model. Then we'll tell you if you can run games smoothly.

It's the AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6 GHz Quad-Core.
I think if there were actualy framerate problems on wii,it would be same like with dolphin ( game would feel like in slow motion )
Because reason why it feels in slowmotion in dolphin is because wii and wii games are made differently then pc games,and in game speed is connected to fps.
I think xbox360 or ps3 is made more like pc in this regard,so they can handle better framerate problems.
Ofc,I am not sure about this,somebody correct me if I'm wrong
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6