Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to change dolphin framerate to be more like wii? (more details below)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(09-27-2012, 03:18 AM)bluezeak Wrote: [ -> ]I originally came looking for info about frameskip, as I thought maybe I could speed the game up (even if choppy) if I turned on frameskip. I couldn't find any good documnetation about what the 10 different levels of frameskip do.

Frameskipping isn't going to be particularly useful for Dolphin, not speed-wise anyway. It'll probably take a bit off your GPU load, not much else. You can read skid's more detailed explanation here.

bluezeak

(09-27-2012, 03:21 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to tell you this but your cpu is not particularly good. Also the info. you posted is wrong, a phenom II 910 runs at 2.6 GHz, not 3.0GHz.

You are corrent - I was wrong. I have a 940, not a 910. It is 3.0 Ghz. Made me go through a minor flurry verifying that...
processor specs
processor comparison

That makes my processor look ... .... not great. But it WAS great! Once ... <sigh>. Ah well. Is the 940 known to be any (significantly) better than the 910?

Shonumi - thank you, skid's thread was good. I haven't tried frameskipping, but I will. I suspect it will help little if at all.
There are only a few differences between those two models.

TDP: 910 is 95w, 940 is 125w
In other words the 940 consumes more power and produces more heat.

Socket standard: 910 is AM3, 940 is AM2+
They're both backwards compatible all the way down to AM2 though.
In other words the 910 is compatible with socket AM3 while the 940 is not.

HT Link frequency: 2.0GHz for the 910, 1.8GHz for the 940
In other words the bus on the 910 is 11% faster at stock.

Multiplier: Locked for the 910, unlocked for the 940
In other words the 940 can be OC more easily and more heavily than the 910.

Clock rate: 2.6GHz for the 910, 3.0GHz for the 940
The clock rate is 15% higher on the 940 at stock.

The 940 should perform about 15% better at stock. Not a significant enough difference. It can however be easily OC to 3.75GHz (25% higher than the stock core clock rate). At that clock rate is will perform fairly well with most games in dolphin.
(09-21-2012, 07:59 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]It's up to the game developers.

99% of GC/Wii games have the framerate synced to the gamespeed (because the display logic is synced to the game logic). I know of at least one GC game that does not do this and I am sure there are more (baldurs gate: dark alliance if you were curious).

Older PC games are programmed this way too. PC game developers don't do it anymore but they used to.
Probably offtopic, but all Just Dance games and it spin offs games skips as many frames as necessary to get the audio always synced to the gameplay (you can set framelimit to 10, the game still play as if was running at 100%, just a little choppy)
(09-28-2012, 09:11 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2012, 07:59 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]It's up to the game developers.

99% of GC/Wii games have the framerate synced to the gamespeed (because the display logic is synced to the game logic). I know of at least one GC game that does not do this and I am sure there are more (baldurs gate: dark alliance if you were curious).

Older PC games are programmed this way too. PC game developers don't do it anymore but they used to.
Probably offtopic, but all Just Dance games and it spin offs games skips as many frames as necessary to get the audio always synced to the gameplay (you can set framelimit to 10, the game still play as if was running at 100%, just a little choppy)

Do you think I should just get a Wii? Dolphin seems to complicated and inconsistent compared to Wii, because Starfox Adventures seems to run slow in all the videos on YouTube.

If you just want to play the games and want things to work without a hassle, get a Wii. Dolphin is not a suitable replacement for that requirement and, in fact, isn't meant to be that.
(09-29-2012, 03:27 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]If you just want to play the games and want things to work without a hassle, get a Wii. Dolphin is not a suitable replacement for that requirement and, in fact, isn't meant to be that.

Alright, than what was Dolphin meant to be? Compared to PCSX2, ePSXe, and Project 64, Dolphin has a lot of issues.
Dolphin is an emulator. It is meant to accurately emulate the hardware of the GameCube and Wii completely (eventually). Unfortunately, the Wii and GC are extremely hard to accurately emulate full speed, and so in order to get certain things working you have to disable/enable speed hacks and compatibility options. If you wanted the most accurate Wii emulation possible, the performance cost would be ridiculous. MMU, LLE, EFB -> RAM, etc. And there are things Dolphin can't even fully do yet like ZComplock (at least the current implementation is a hack and isn't entirely accurate).

Dolphin has so little compatibility issues I am truly amazed. The Wii and GC have a TON of random stuff to emulate, and Dolphin does an excellent job. Speed is what it is; it isn't the emulator's fault or the game's fault, it's the computer's fault.
He means that dolphin is not designed to be as reliable as a real wii. You're going to need a top of the line machine and even then not all games are going to run perfectly or at fullspeed, just like PCSX2.

Edit: Why didn't I refresh before posting?
(09-29-2012, 04:04 AM)tapirtoon Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, than what was Dolphin meant to be? Compared to PCSX2, ePSXe, and Project 64, Dolphin has a lot of issues.

What are you talking about ? Like pcsx2 doesnt have slowdowns ?
You need high end pc to run emulators properly,regardless if its pcsx2 or dolphin.
Dolphin is meant to play games in much higher graphic quality then wii can provide-games will look much beter played on dolphin then on a wii.
Also,its meant so people who dont have a wii and have a good computer can play gc/wii games
If you left your cpu at 2.6 ghz then having problems with dolphin is expected outcome.
You need to overclock your cpu to atleast 3.2-3.4 ghz then it will be a different story.
If you dont want to overclock,then buy intel cpu,because they are faster.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6