Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting a new PC - Advice needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
So I'm planning on getting a new PC, the most I can afford is £300 (but I already have DDR3 4GB RAM and a Decent Graphics card ready, plus a 22" TV/monitor so the tower would be the only thing needed.

Could I have some recommendations? I want a PC that can run any Gamecube game on Dolphin in fullscreen (my resolution is 1920x1080) at perfection (if possible) - as in no lags, freezes, skips etc.

Bearing in mind I'm only going to be using it to play Gamecube games on Dolphin, NOT Wii games.

For example, would this be good enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-CELERON-...396wt_1398

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: Also I'd appreciate if someone could give me a list of CPUs that can cope well with Gamecube games
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sphere-PC-Inte...2ebb5cbc32

£315 so a little over your budget but it has a CPU that gets A LOT of praise here the i5 2500k. from what i hear it's one of the best you can have. doesn't come with a OS (same thing as other one you posted) but you can simply run a free OS like linux till you can afford windows
I don't think the celeron can run GameCube games at full speed. It is not the greatest CPU. But then again, it depends on the game. Which games are you planning on playing specifically?

Also, the 2500K is in fact an awesome CPU, but it (probably) is overkill for the majority of GameCube games.

Generally speaking, a dual-core i3/i5 can get the job done. Depending on the model, year, and turbo frequency, it can run most games full speed. A dual-core i3 at 3.6 GHz turbo would probably work *almost* as well as the 2500K (unless you have a cooler and plan on overclocking, but I doubt that).
Any feedback on the one I posted? I was recommended that CPU by another user on here when asked whether it could run SA2B

The games I'd plan on playing, and this is pretty much it (I don't plan to play any other games) are:

SA2B - This ran almost perfectly on a Pentium Dual Core 3.20GHz E5700
Luigi's Mansion
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Possibly RE4

So just to confirm, the best processors for me would be a dual core i3/i5?

EDIT: How about this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core-i3-...698wt_1398

All 4 of those games are fairly easy to run. A celeron G530 is probably fast enough for them but if you were planning on playing some heavier games it definitely will not get the job done.
(08-13-2012, 10:47 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]All 4 of those games are fairly easy to run. A celeron G530 is probably fast enough for them but if you were planning on playing some heavier games it definitely will not get the job done.

Heavier games being?

Out of interest for the Celeron G530, will the onboard 'HD' graphics be enough, or will I need a GPU?
You will need a graphics card.

Quote:Heavier games being?

Metroid prime (any of them), super mario galaxy 1/2, donkey kong country returns, just to name a few.
(08-13-2012, 10:58 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]You will need a graphics card.

Quote:Heavier games being?

Metroid prime (any of them), super mario galaxy 1/2, donkey kong country returns, just to name a few.

As I said I wouldn't be playing any Wii games.

So would the G530 be able to cope with any Gamecube game?
Barely , Intel HD 2000 is too lame to be mentioned , you'll be struggle even with lowest resolution . 2.5GHz CPU is not good enough for Fzero GX (GC game)
G860 + Nvidia GT 430 is much better
(08-13-2012, 11:07 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Barely , Intel HD 2000 is too lame to be mentioned , you'll be struggle even with lowest resolution . 2.5GHz CPU is not good enough for Fzero GX (GC game)
G860 + Nvidia GT 430 is much better

Ok, that's fine because I have a decent graphics card ready for it.

Would a Dual Core Intel i3-2100 3.1GHz be good enough?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8