Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Here's a good laugh for everyone: Dolphin on PS3.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Or at least someone is going to try.

http://exophase.com/20025/dolphin-emulat...ng-to-ps3/

My CPU and video card kicks the shit out of a PS3 with about 5x the amount of RAM and I can't even get Blaster Master WiiWare to run at 100%.
The code needs improvement and then the game will run better, someday. Some games have code in place that does not allow the game to compile well enough to run fast. Some do. All of these games are asking for different things at different times and it screws with the games and prevents them from running as they should. For a lack of a better example, some games do not know what they should be doing since the code is incomplete or wrong at times and it is only enough to get the game to work slowly or not at all.
what does RAM have to do with anything?
Quote:what does RAM have to do with anything?

Capacity. The PS3 only has 256MB of ram and up to 120MB can be used by the OS running in the background. Most games running on dolphin use more than that.
(12-04-2010, 05:14 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:what does RAM have to do with anything?

Capacity. The PS3 only has 256MB of ram and up to 120MB can be used by the OS running in the background. Most games running on Dolphin use more than that.

Not to mention, I have a quad-core Phenom (@ 3.8ghz) and one of the Dolphin threads will use up almost 100% of one of my cores sometimes when emulating Wii games. I doubt he'll have any luck getting the majority of games to be playable on such a system. Maybe emulated Gamecube games could run on the PS3 with Dolphin?

... I am still waiting for coders to get the N64 emu working good on my PSP =\

IMHO his expertise, if any, should be used on the Dolphin project itself, if anything.
Ah, ok. I thought he was talking about the power of the machine scaling it by its amount of RAM ^^
Actually this might be easier to do then the PC version. The dolphin emu is basically a PPC emulator. ps3 and Dolphin share the same instruction set of the PPC cpu so maybe it doesn't need emulating of the CPU as it will take those instruction sets natively. Though I'm not a genius so I might be wrong. Anything is fine by me though.
Quote:The dolphin emu is basically a PPC emulator.

Riiiiiiight. If dolphin was nothing more than a simple PPC emulator this project would have been finished in a month. You still have to emulate the dsp, gpu, efb, and get the timings right. Not to mention although the cell cpu and GC/Wii cpu have certain similarities since they are both based on the PPC architecture they still have MANY major differences and do not use the exact same instruction set. It's not as simple as a cpu emulator.
(12-04-2010, 01:01 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The dolphin emu is basically a PPC emulator.

Riiiiiiight. If dolphin was nothing more than a simple PPC emulator this project would have been finished in a month. You still have to emulate the dsp, gpu, efb, and get the timings right. Not to mention although the cell cpu and GC/Wii cpu have certain similarities since they are both based on the PPC architecture they still have MANY major differences and do not use the exact same instruction set. It's not as simple as a cpu emulator.

just saying it might require less resources to get PPC emulated to PPC over X86 to PPC
For the cpu alone sure. However everything else would be massively more difficult.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6