Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which hardware is better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I am planning on getting a used computer from a relative's business.
Which would be better for dolphin?
A Core 2 Duo @ 2ghz, and a geforce 8700m gt
or
Athlon 64 x2 2.8 ghz, and a geforce 6150 se?
Core 2 Duo @ 2ghz, and a geforce 8700m gt stomps the athlon build....

but, both still suck balls; no offense.
hmmm hard to say, the CPU of the second one would be pretty good, but the Graphics Card is so lame it is not worth it... The Ideal would be the Second CPU and an Graphics card between the first and the second, if possible, the second CPU and the first graphics card, that would be great.
If you really have to choose one of those, then the first one is better.
I would suggest getting the first one and overclocking to around 2.6GHz (My quad running 2.4GHz standard on dolphin can run all the gc games i have at full (Which work well with dolphin obviously)).
if you've got the details right then the first one is a laptop and the second one is a desktop.
as they currently are, the first one - the laptop - is better. but you could get the second one - the desktop - add a decent graphics card, and it'll "stomp" the laptop (which probably cannot be overclocked by the way and certainly not by more than 200mhz). alternatively you could get the laptop and upgrade the cpu, but this probably isn't a feasible option. either way, neither is gonna give you a brilliant dolphin experience without spending some money. as the desktop is easier to upgrade i recommend that one.
The Core2 architecture is leaps and bounds faster than the Athlon architecture. Both CPUs would probably equal out, and if you overclocked, the Core2 would dominate.
as you're so technically knowledgeable zurginator, how would they go about overclocking a mobile core 2 enough so that it could "dominate"?
(09-02-2010, 11:37 PM)zurginator Wrote: [ -> ]The Core2 architecture is leaps and bounds faster than the Athlon architecture. Both CPUs would probably equal out, and if you overclocked, the Core2 would dominate.

Dude, AMD is faster than Intel, but less applications will run on it, e.g. SSE 4.2.
(09-03-2010, 02:36 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 11:37 PM)zurginator Wrote: [ -> ]The Core2 architecture is leaps and bounds faster than the Athlon architecture. Both CPUs would probably equal out, and if you overclocked, the Core2 would dominate.

Dude, AMD is faster than Intel, but less applications will run on it, e.g. SSE 4.2.

Benchmark?

anyone who can read know which one is faster than other, this backed up by numerous evidence from review to first hand experience.
darkshadw and naoan, the thread is about which machine would be better for dolphin, not whether 'amd' is faster than 'intel' or vice-versa (both of which are multi-national corporations and therefore don't really have a speed..)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5