Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DirectX for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
All right, folks. I have a question, and I am not sure as to whether or not this is the place for it. I guess, if it is not, the admin will delete it anyways.

I am a under-average american in terms of income, so I cannot afford much. I have a custom computer, built my self. Intel® Celeron® CPU, 768 MB of SDRAM, 256MB nVidia GeForce 6200 350/450, 120GB HD.

I own a gamecube, but it is old and isn't working properly. There are games on it that I like a lot, like Super Smash Brothers Melee. The emulator (Dolphin, ofc) runs it at a max speed of 15 fps. my Video card has very poor OpenGL support, and I would like to know if a DirectX plugin is available. Despite my best efforts, 5 hours of searching around, i could not find a DirectX plugin. I have an emulator called pcsx2 and it runs ps2 games fine, no lag. it has a DirectX plugin that works great. I would also love to be able to play GC games without lag, but that is not going to happen with openGL any ideas? Thanks, Guys, and I'd appreciate any help on this.
Your cpu is too slow.
DirectX is BS, it's closed source. What does this mean? Well then people like me can't compile and use the Linux build. Or even the Mac build if you are a mac user.

I am not sure why people are developing DirectX stuff for Dolphin, it's ridiculous.
Well, my cpu runs at 2.6 Ghz. I'm not asking for perfection, just a way to make it better. I'm aware that DX is something that you have to purchase from microsoft to use it, but if the emulator works better, im sure you can find donators. hell, I'd even donate if a better plugin was made. Ive donated a little to the makers of pcsx... wasnt much, but shows my support. i plan on getting a new computer soon, but i have more important things and heavily limited income. I wasnt really trying to bother anyone, i just figured that if i can play ps2 games on my computer at ~75 fps then a gamecube game should work much quicker. whatever happened to Jabo? he made dx for n64.
gamecube specs are half that of ps2... On a side note, I really do appreciate the effort put into the dolphin emu.im probably the only 28-yr old that plays gamecube lol. well thanks guys.
What ? You don't have to purchase anything to use DX !

Don't listen to the linux dude, DirectX is better than OpenGL, and so the DX plugin is better. He is just butthurt that 90% of us use windows and are having better speed and features.

Ontopic : Why are you asking for a DX plugin, when one is included with Dolphin by default ? If you can't see it in the options, then just upgrade your DirectX (through its webupdater from Microsoft site)
well, i tryed that one, and it didnt work much better than the ogl one.i had about a 3 fps increase. i only know basic vb programming, a little java, and a lotta html. so im not much of a programmer, i make little handy programs like digital clocks that sit on your desktop, so i dont have to strain my eyes reading the taskbar one but from what i know, someone should be able to use the n64 plugin (Jabo's Direct3D 8 1.6) for project64 as a basis for a better d3d dolphin plugin. the gc hardware is not much different than that of a n64 so it cant be impossible. i still don't understand how i can play ps2 games at higher framerates than originally designed and the gc emulator runs at 1/3 normal speed (assuming normal speed is 60 fps) when the ps2 has a much more intricate hardware setup...
btw- i have the latest version of dx available for my OS(XP Professional SP3 32)

i wish i knew d3d, or i would make a plugin for all to enjoy

also. Those people that boast how great their hardware is annoy me. not everyone is rich. try living on $8.50 an hour and supporting 3 others.
not something everyone is capable of.
Emulation can never be perfect, and don't go on comparing defferent emus. Pcsx2 was useless for many years, until it got more playable and it's still far from perfect.

Emulation isn't suited for trouble-free gaming, and speed of graphics plugin isn't the main problem of Dolphin, there are a lot of emulation issues. Your PC isn't good enough for Wii emulation, but there is a thread about games that don't require a fast PC, try them, read the comments,too.
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-6199.html

Or save up some money and buy a real Wii, it can play your GC games, and you won't have to worry about speed, hehe.
The DX9 plugin for dolphin is by now far more developed than OGL. In fact, it results in better graphics than the original wii if used in large resolution with anti-alias.

Quote:the gc hardware is not much different than that of a n64 so it cant be impossible

That's entirely incorrect.. The gamecube uses 486mhz 64-bit IBM processor with over 1.0gb/s bandwidth. The n64 has a 94mhz processor which mostly calculates 32-bit operations despite it's name. Also, GC uses over 64MB in audio and video ram, whereas nintendo 64 uses 4mb. Their architecture is completely different.

Still, your hardware is not too outdated for most Wii games on dolphin. I'd say you can easily play 80-90% of games just normally, with a few graphically very demanding exceptions.

I noticed you had frame issues, such as running only at 1/3 of normal speed. If it's not hardware related, you could try turning framelimit off, turning efb copy to texture, and enabling idle skipping (and of course, using a recent build such as 5000+). That can fix many problems.
Earth calling Ocean :

What are you talking about ? He has a Celeron and 768mb SDRAM ...
(03-03-2010, 03:43 PM)BrandonX Wrote: [ -> ]All right, folks. I have a question, and I am not sure as to whether or not this is the place for it. I guess, if it is not, the admin will delete it anyways.

I am a under-average american in terms of income, so I cannot afford much. I have a custom computer, built my self. Intel® Celeron® CPU, 768 MB of SDRAM, 256MB nVidia GeForce 6200 350/450, 120GB HD.

I own a gamecube, but it is old and isn't working properly. There are games on it that I like a lot, like Super Smash Brothers Melee. The emulator (Dolphin, ofc) runs it at a max speed of 15 fps. my Video card has very poor OpenGL support, and I would like to know if a DirectX plugin is available. Despite my best efforts, 5 hours of searching around, i could not find a DirectX plugin. I have an emulator called pcsx2 and it runs ps2 games fine, no lag. it has a DirectX plugin that works great. I would also love to be able to play GC games without lag, but that is not going to happen with openGL any ideas? Thanks, Guys, and I'd appreciate any help on this.
you can run ps2 games on pcsx2 no lag??? you gotta tell me how you do that !
Pages: 1 2 3 4