Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mastering Motion: The Journey to Emulate MotionPlus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Image: emuwiimoteheadermini.jpg]

A new feature article has been published on the Dolphin blog - Mastering Motion: The Journey to Emulate MotionPlus.

Feel free to discuss the article on this thread.

-
No really? It is happening? Wait... It is already here? This completely made my day. You guys are on fire with all these articles recently. You should take a break sometime Smile.

Skyward Sword, here I come!

EDIT:
I was just wondering, regarding the section about Super Mario Galaxy where the pointer without configuring any motions could be used to preform the spin attack. I was trying to see how it would work... Except I didn't get it to work yet. Any specific configuration I have to make?
You have to jack out the control scheme something fierce to cause it - we actively try to avoid doing unwanted motions. I had speed, velocity, and range maxed and flicked hte IR as hard as I could.
Ohh I see. Yeah, that works indeed.

I just wanted to see it for myself. I normally stick to around 17 degrees and 15 degrees respectively for Galaxy. Maxing both out to 180 degrees and well... Moving the cursor activates around indeed activates the Spin Attack.

Hehe, back to trying to make a proper control scheme for Skyward Sword. That is probably going to take a while...
It took me ~an hour to tweak Skyward Sword to work well, and most of that was just figuring out where to put things.
(04-26-2019, 09:54 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It took me ~an hour to tweak Skyward Sword to work well, and most of that was just figuring out where to put things.

Welp...

I kinda have to start over since my Save Date is lost. No big deal. So I just figure out the controls during the introduction and tweak them on the fly. Hopefully trusted XInput controller is up to the job. I don't really know about the Mouse + Keyboard combo, Zelda games were always a bit to complex without a controller.

Unlike GameCube Controller games (which are just one-to-one mappings on my XInput Controller), Wii Remote based games were always a bit tricky. Games such as Donkey Kong Country Returns or New Super Mario Bros. Wii were relative easy since the pointer isn't really being used there, so those work well with XInput. Super Mario Galaxy is definitely one of those games where having a mouse for the pointer benefits you. Throwing MotionPlus into the mix and things are starting to get considerable tricky.

I really have to applaud those responsible for implementing MotionPlus without adding another confusing layer of control settings to configurate.

Tell me, long how was the feature in the making? Planning and all? Well... Reading the article MotionPlus was being experimented with during the 3.0 era... Which was all the way back in 2011? Wow... MotionPlus might have been an absolute nightmare to work on (and to use back during the unofficial 3.0 builds).

Haha, loved the part about being the Dark Souls of emulation configuration.

Honestly, I hate anything Motion related. Just a good old fashioned controller please. Which is my reason for using emulated controllers. My biggest issue with Skyward Sword was that the MotionPlus controls simply sucked. So if the emulated MotionPlus features resolves this it might actually become a really fun game for once. Plus that some sweet Gecko Codes can effective remove quite a few annoyances, such as Fi warning for low batteries, reminders, pick up item notifications and a lot more. If Skyward Sword just didn't treat me as a lost child it would be a lot better. But as said, Gecko Codes go a long way to remove those imperfections.

Let's hope that Skyward Sword can finally be the game it was meant to be.
Great to see this finally merged! It was awesome to see the wiimote improve in the last few months. Thanks guys!
Not mentioned in the article - MotionPlus works on netplay which is fun for Wii Sports Resort Golf/Bowling.
Admentus Wrote:Let's hope that Skyward Sword can finally be the game it was meant to be.

But it is? It was built from the ground up for this control scheme, to fulfill the master sword in your hand promise, and that's exactly what it did! There's no secret mythical Zelda buried inside somewhere, Skyward Sword is Skyward Sword. Which is fine, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in it!

Spoiler:
Wow! So much false information (can't played it with a gamepad, need to change the settings, picture of the configuration) about the old build for Skyward Sword. I don't know what build or the version of the build you're talking, but it's clearly not the same that I used.

Anyway, it's nice to finally see the MotionPlus in the official build (especially the clean-up). I'm really curious to try it. But before, I have some questions for the new official build for Skyward Sword:
1) Which parts are challenging?
2) The only thing that I wasn't able to do easily, was to draw the triforce in the old build. Is it possible now?
3) Can someone share a good & complete profile for this game? I'll really appreciate it.

Big thanks to Billiard! Before all his work, the emulated wiimote in the official build was so much a mess. Now after all these years, I can finally use the official build to play normal game. Seriously, you & Peterson are the only reason why I used Dolphin. You have done an amazing job! Can't wait to see how better in the future, the emulated MotionPlus will be.

Edit:
So I try it with my old savestate... Well, if this is playable, I clearly need a profile & a tutorial with some explanation for the settings. This is just crazy. I know that I have some problems because it wasn't configure properly, but others are not. There's already a lot of options (need to try a lot of settings), but some are missing.

My biggest problem was the aiming (goes crazy) with the mouse. With a gamepad, it's "playable", but there's some issue (can't move to one side sometime).

PS: Be really careful when you use combination in the profile, always use ` for all the button.
Pages: 1 2 3 4