Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ryzen 1700X Stock vs Dolphin Benchmark.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[Image: AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Dolphin-Benchmark.png]

Rolleyes

Quote:Before we get into the details, we should point out that while this engineering sample is close to the final retail sample, the overall performance may not be indicative of the full fledged product we get to see on sale tomorrow. The testing configuration also reveals that the review was performed on an engineering sample of a AM4 motherboard which doesn’t include support for XMP profiles.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-re...enchmarks/

Why is it so much slower than a 7700
(03-02-2017, 05:39 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Why is it so much slower than a 7700

I heard that 1700X has ~5% worse IPC than Skylake/Kaby, and clocks lower @3.8GHz vs i7-7700K's 4.5GHz.

Edit: I'm also baffled that i7-4770K is still better than 1700X. So I decided, let's do a calculation and find IPC % when taking this Dolphin benchmark into account. It looks like Skylake/Kaby is 15.75% better clock for clock than Ryzen and 7.42% for Haswell, assuming my calculation is correct. GG
500s = 8m 20s
Pentium Haswell G3258 @ 3.2GHz (stock speed) scores 8m 4s in Dolphin Benchmark. So it's still slower than a 3.2GHz Haswell despite having the higher turbo clock
This is not good enough for demanding games . However , you can always overclock it for better performance . The problem is... it can only be OCed up to 4.0GHz - 200MHz higher than turbo clock (according to that article)
Give AMD a year or two , they probably make a better CPU than this
Edit : It's 507s , not 500s . There is sth wrong with my eyes
I will wait for benchmarks with an actual retail cpu instead of an engineering sample and perhaps better memory modules, they used 2133 ddr4 vs 3200 ddr4 modules for the intel chips. Still ryzen seems better than my overclocked 2500k while it is running at lower clocks so its dolphin performance should be more than decent. I can count the dolphin games i have performance issues in the palm of my hand, and ryzen is better.
It will be a solid upgrade for non-k Sandy/Ivy Bridge user
Because i7 3930k @ 4.2GHz , i7 2600k @ 4.0GHz score about the same as R7 1700x @ 3.8GHz .
Memory frequency doesn't matter btw
[Image: 76365.png]
It's an engineering sample . So there is chance that its overclocking capability may not be as good as retail cpu .
This is just a engineering sample. That is, without Turbo, trouble keeping the clock, and various other problems.

Furthermore, today we will know the truth.
So here is the real Ryzen

It's still bad at overclocking :/ and it still can't handle high speed memory (Linus also verified this , it won't boot)
It beats all Intel CPUs in multi-thread benchmark though gaming performance is still not as good as Skylake , Kabylake , sometime even slower than Haswell
So I bet the real Ryzen won't be better than that engineering sample in Dolphin Benchmark .
The problem is, there was a BIOS Update released right before release, that essentially told reviewers to redo their testing because it contained fixes to Memory Management and clock changes.

All of the testing is invalid, but it won't change much.
In the end , if quad core is good enough for you and Dolphin/Cemu is your top priority , get the i5 6600k or i5 7600k and overclock the hell out of it ...though quad core is pretty much obsolete at this point.... :/
Ryzen can run most Wii/GC games well for sure but the real question here is how can it handle demanding games like TLS with EFB to Ram , Metroid Triology , Zelda SS...???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11