Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crashes when I play some games.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Does the wii system menu also crash after the starting animation for you
A workaround is to rename to dolphin exe to trick the driver into thinking it is a game ( for this to work needs to be a dx11 game )
Dolphin is already named Dolphin.exe in my computer, extensions are visible, so I don't think that it will make a difference. As for the wii menu, I haven't tested it recently. I will. In most games it's when some important animations start that the game crashes. New Super Mario Bros for example crashes 1 or 2 seconds after you press (+) in the title screen, right when the save datas are about to appear. Sonic Colours crashes the moment the title screen is about to appear. So, judging from how you explain it, I expect Dolphin to crash. I'll edit this when I know. I also use the new driver that came out a few days ago, but Dolphin still crashes on DX11.

EDIT: I tested the Wii menu and it works fine, I can go through everything, except for one thing. If I set a Wii game as default iso (I forgot to test with a GameCube game) and I try to open it from Disc Channel, when the Wii game disc is inserted in a "hole" during the animation, Dolphin crashes.
The Intel drives check the file name of the exe to apply special fixes looking at the user-mode driver in hex edit will find the exe names the driver looks for
If you can build dolphin from source you can post the call stack of the crash on the Intel forum allowing the driver developers to fix the problem quicker
the cause of the crashes can be viewed in Reliability Monitor most crashes report Exception Code: c0000374 (Heap corruption)
i have tested the following games on i5-4288U and Iris 5100 driver 10.18.15.4279
  • metal gear solid: the twin snakes (crashes at the start of the submarine animation)
  • new super Mario brothers wii crashes after pressing 2 at the start menu
  • resident evil zero (crashes when picking up any inventory item e.g green herb)
  • resident evil darkside Chronicles (crashes after the havok logo)
  • resident evil the umbrella Chronicles (crashes after the intro video)
Hey guys, sorry that I brought this topic back from the dead, but I wouldn't do that without an important reason. It appears that our issue was [color=#339933]fixed in the 4.0-8223[/color] development build!

"D3D: Fix crash on some drivers with small textures (PR #3287 from stenzek)"

At least I can play using D3D again without issues, even games that use BBox, like Paper Mario: TTYD.

In an older post of mine...
"Here's some news!

Today I tested Tino's Ishiiruka custom branch, that provides both D3D9 and D3D11 and they both work! So, now I'm 100% sure that crashes when using the D3D backend on Windows 10 come from Dolphin, not the drivers. As for the reason of the crashes, that I don't know. It could be a bug in Dolphin, or even some newer feature Dolphin uses that the drivers don't support.
"

AHA! I knew I was right from the beginning! It was dolphin, not the drivers! I just didn't know what was behind the crashes! As it seems, this was a texture-related issue.
When using D3D, games sometimes freeze for some msecs, I think it happens when loading textures, but still, the games are now playable on D3D! You might not even notice this!

If are reading this and you had crashing issues in Windows 10 with Dolphin crashing when using D3D, first update your Intel graphics driver and then try this build or newer. Reply if you still experience crashing issues in normally playable games with D3D.

auraapex

I know its been 5 years since this but do you think you can help me?
I play super mario galaxy 2 and whenever i get to a specific part in the game i crash, ive updated to the newest dev version and that doesnt help, i dont know what to do ive been trying to find a solution. thanks
(06-29-2020, 06:43 PM)auraapex Wrote: [ -> ]I know its been 5 years since this but do you think you can help me?
I play super mario galaxy 2 and whenever i get to a specific part in the game i crash, ive updated to the newest dev version and that doesnt help, i dont know what to do ive been trying to find a solution. thanks
If you're using latest dev build, you can right-click the game (while on the game list), choose "Properties" and verify that the dump is not corrupt.

You may also want to fully disable cheats if you even have them enabled.
@auraapex - Please read up on the Forum Rules regarding necroposting. We encourage/recommend making new threads instead of bringing back old ones.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5