Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crashes when I play some games.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm sorry that I revived this topic after so many days have passed, but I have noticed something important about the crashes when using Direct3D on Windows 10. I have an Intel Iris 5100 and I totally agree that the drivers have indeed many differences comparing to the ones supporting Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, but I think it's not just that! I happen to use other emulators as well, such as ePSXe and PCSX2 and they don't crash when I use Direct3D. ePSXe is irrelevant to this topic, because it uses older DirectX, but in PCSX2 you can use DirectX 11, just like in Dolphin and it doesn't crash. An other important thing is that my PC games also work fine and they don't even need compatibility options to work. Some of these use DirectX 11.
So, if it were just the drivers, I would expect at least one PC game to crash, just like Dolphin does, or to have graphics or performance issues, since many of them take full advantage of the graphics API they use.
So, what I see is that all the above point to Dolphin doing something wrong.

Time to go to the Dolphin part. Right after the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, the old drivers were still installed, so Dolphin worked just like on Windows 7. After I installed the new ones, most Dolphin games crash upon starting when I use D3D, in some games however I can get to the menu, but after that they crash (Sonic Colours for example crashes the moment I enter the title screen). But the most important thing I noticed is that not all games crash when I use D3D and this is the reason I replied here after testing using different settings. From what games I have, these are the ones that work fine on D3D:
• Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath of Cortex     (So weird... Crash doesn't crash! Big Grin )
• Sonic Adventure DX - Director's Cut
• Sonic Adventure 2 - Battle
• Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1
• JU-ON

As I've noticed, apart from JU-ON, the rest of the games above are multi-platform, so, they might be using fewer graphics features compared to GC or Wii native games (JU-ON is an exception), or generally "different mechanics". I don't know if this gives any clue to the developers about what the source of the crashes might be, but I hope it does. The games that crash, keep doing that, no matter what settings I use.

About Virtual Console games, I don't know if they all work, but at least the ones I own do:
• Super Mario 64 (N64)
• Paper Mario (N64)
• Super Mario RPG (SNES)
• Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (NES)
• Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3 (Sega Mega Drive)

And that's all, I hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I too, have noticed that my other emulators (like PCsX2) play the same so I think it may be a dolphin problem as well.
Just wanted to say that Dolphin is crashing for me too when using Direct3D in pretty much every game.

Build 7490 and installed the last version of the drivers here too.
unrelated issue. make your own thread
(08-31-2015, 08:55 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]unrelated issue. make your own thread

It's the same issue. The OP is trying to play the games with Direct3D after upgrading to Windows 10 and that makes the emulator crash.
ooh, haha my bad i thought this was a different thread
Here's some news!
Today I tested Tino's Ishiiruka custom branch, that provides both D3D9 and D3D11 and they both work! So, now I'm 100% sure that crashes when using the D3D backend on Windows 10 come from Dolphin, not the drivers. As for the reason of the crashes, that I don't know. It could be a bug in Dolphin, or even some newer feature Dolphin uses that the drivers don't support.

EDIT: It's the drivers, I was wrong!

The thing is that if you have games that run much faster on Direct 3D than OpenGL, use that branch to play these until this is fixed (if it is indeed a bug and they fix it that is...). To get this branch, visit this thread:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...=ishiiruka
(09-04-2015, 07:34 AM)Diamondog Wrote: [ -> ]Here's some news!
Today I tested Ishiiruka's custom branch, that provides both D3D9 and D3D11 and they both work! So, now I'm 100% sure that crashes when using the D3D backend on Windows 10 come from Dolphin, not the drivers. As for the reason of the crashes, that I don't know. It could be a bug in Dolphin, or even some newer feature Dolphin uses that the drivers don't support.

The thing is that if you have games that run much faster on Direct 3D than OpenGL, use that branch to play these until this is fixed (if it is indeed a bug and they fix it that is...). To get this branch, visit this thread:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...=ishiiruka

Dude you're amazing. I tried the games that originally did not work and it did help. Thanks alot. Big Grin
i also have problems with dolphin on Intel graphics
If you build dolphin from source you can collect the call stack when it crashes to allow the developers to fix the problem
https://communities.intel.com/thread/78373
Dolphin can run fast on intel graphic if properly optimised
https://software.intel.com/sites/default...-guide.pdf
the main crash i have observed in dolphin is starting a different game after stoping the emulator
Code:
ntdll.dll!RtlReportCriticalFailure() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlpHeapHandleError() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlpLogHeapFailure() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap() Unknown
d3d11.dll!CContext::PerformAmortizedRenderOperations(void) Unknown
d3d11.dll!NDXGI::CDevice::Present(struct DXGI_PRESENTSURFACE const *,unsigned int,struct IDXGIResource *,void *,unsigned int,unsigned int,unsigned int *)

Unknown
dxgi.dll!CDXGISwapChain::PresentImplCore() Unknown
dxgi.dll!CDXGISwapChain::Present() Unknown
DolphinD.exe!DX11::D3D::Present() Line 533 C++
DolphinD.exe!DX11::Renderer::~Renderer() Line 274 C++
DolphinD.exe!DX11::Renderer::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned int) C++
DolphinD.exe!DX11::VideoBackend::Shutdown() Line 229 C++
DolphinD.exe!Core::EmuThread() Line 580 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_Invoker_functor::_Call<void (__cdecl*)(void)>(void (void) * && _Obj=0x0000000000406672) Line 1410 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::invoke<void (__cdecl*)(void)>(void (void) * && _Obj=0x0000000000406672) Line 1478 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > >::_Execute<0>

(std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> & _Tup={...}, std::integer_sequence<unsigned __int64,0> __formal={...}) Line 239 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > >::_Run

(std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > > * _Ln=0x000000000014d538) Line 245

C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > >::_Go() Line 231

C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_Pad::_Call_func(void * _Data=0x000000000014d538) Line 208 C++
ucrtbased.dll!invoke_thread_procedure(unsigned int (void *) * const procedure=0x00000000004064dd, void * const context=0x000000000014d538) Line 92 C++
ucrtbased.dll!thread_start<unsigned int (__cdecl*)(void * __ptr64)>(void * const parameter=0x000000000ac143a0) Line 115 C++
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart() Unknown
(09-06-2015, 02:54 AM)zeqzy Wrote: [ -> ]i also have problems with dolphin on Intel graphics
If you build dolphin from source you can collect the call stack when it crashes to allow the developers to fix the problem
https://communities.intel.com/thread/78373
Dolphin can run fast on intel graphic if properly optimised
https://software.intel.com/sites/default...-guide.pdf
the main crash i have observed in dolphin is starting a different game after stoping the emulator

Code:
ntdll.dll!RtlReportCriticalFailure() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlpHeapHandleError() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlpLogHeapFailure() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap() Unknown
d3d11.dll!CContext::PerformAmortizedRenderOperations(void) Unknown
d3d11.dll!NDXGI::CDevice::Present(struct DXGI_PRESENTSURFACE const *,unsigned int,struct IDXGIResource *,void *,unsigned int,unsigned int,unsigned int *)

Unknown
dxgi.dll!CDXGISwapChain::PresentImplCore() Unknown
dxgi.dll!CDXGISwapChain::Present() Unknown
DolphinD.exe!DX11::D3D::Present() Line 533 C++
DolphinD.exe!DX11::Renderer::~Renderer() Line 274 C++
DolphinD.exe!DX11::Renderer::`scalar deleting destructor'(unsigned int) C++
DolphinD.exe!DX11::VideoBackend::Shutdown() Line 229 C++
DolphinD.exe!Core::EmuThread() Line 580 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_Invoker_functor::_Call<void (__cdecl*)(void)>(void (void) * && _Obj=0x0000000000406672) Line 1410 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::invoke<void (__cdecl*)(void)>(void (void) * && _Obj=0x0000000000406672) Line 1478 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > >::_Execute<0>

(std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> & _Tup={...}, std::integer_sequence<unsigned __int64,0> __formal={...}) Line 239 C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > >::_Run

(std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > > * _Ln=0x000000000014d538) Line 245

C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_LaunchPad<std::unique_ptr<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)>,std::default_delete<std::tuple<void (__cdecl*)(void)> > > >::_Go() Line 231

C++
DolphinD.exe!std::_Pad::_Call_func(void * _Data=0x000000000014d538) Line 208 C++
ucrtbased.dll!invoke_thread_procedure(unsigned int (void *) * const procedure=0x00000000004064dd, void * const context=0x000000000014d538) Line 92 C++
ucrtbased.dll!thread_start<unsigned int (__cdecl*)(void * __ptr64)>(void * const parameter=0x000000000ac143a0) Line 115 C++
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk() Unknown
ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart() Unknown

That's a good find! In the beginning I didn't understand if you were talking about the exact same issue with us, but I visited your thread on Intel forums and if I understand from the description, it has to be the same. So, the problem comes indeed from the Intel graphics drivers and not from Dolphin, I guess I was wrong then!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5