Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Typical "can I run it" thread. Bear with me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I looked around for info at the wiki and some threads. I couldn't seem to find the exact response already posted on the forums, so I apologize if this sounds redundant.

I'm getting a new laptop soon, and since I've been stuck with an ancient Dodgy machine for years, I decided to buy one that could run Dolphin decently. I shouldn't spend too much, though. The one I plan on buying has these specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4510U - 2.0 GHz with a 3.1 GHz Turbo, 4 MB L3 Cache
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 710m 2 GB gDDR3
RAM: 8 GB DDR3L (1600 MHz)
Windows 8.1 x64

I don't think it makes a difference, but it's got a 1 TB S-ATA III (5400 RPM).

I'm not aiming at HD gameplay here. I just want to know if I could run games smoothly without too much frustration.  Dodgy Running Paper Mario: TTYD is my primary objective, even if it is on lowest graphic settings. Secondary to that, I'd like to try running Sunshine, Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, again, on lowest settings at least. And if it can go any higher graphically, please tell me.  Huh

Also, I know that I'll probably run into a brick wall by asking this, but could this laptop by any chance run Wii games such as Galaxy or Skyward Sword? It's not what I'm aiming for, but I would like to know how far can it go until it lags/overheats.  Sad

If I said something stupid or forgot to provide any info, cut me some slack. I'm just a fast-learning layman. Thanks.
It is the same for most of the XXXXU Processors: They are designed to run at a low voltage to stay cool. However, for a short timeframe, they can boost to a higher frequency (and voltage) as long as they are cool enough. With Dolphin, this boost wont be usable for a long time and the system will slow down. This is called "Thermal Throttling". Maybe some games will work but I am not very confident.

On another note, the GPU is garbage and wont give you much benefit over the integrated hd 4400 in your CPU. maybe you should look for a different notebook.

In the end it comes down to your budget. Decent gaming Laptops start at around 1000$/€ with dedicated heatsinks for GPU and CPU. Below this price point you have to prioritise what you will be doing most with your machine. Dolphin is not easy to run on mobile hardware.
the processor looks quite decent but, If you have the money then, I would recommend something like this.
I have a similar laptop to you, same CPU but using an iGPU instead of a discrete one. You should be fine to play Galaxy.
@Benze, that discrete graphics card will give a huge advantage over the integrated 4400, because of the VRAM and better performance. What's your budget and where are you located (so I can find you a better one for the same price)
Get a Sager NP8 series or above
(04-26-2015, 11:08 PM)Benze Wrote: [ -> ]With Dolphin, this boost wont be usable for a long time and the system will slow down. This is called "Thermal Throttling". Maybe some games will work but I am not very confident.

If I could manage to maintain it cool at all times, would it still slow down at some point? NKF98 says I should be able to play Galaxy O.o, that makes me really confused.

(04-26-2015, 11:25 PM)phantom theif 1412 Wrote: [ -> ]the processor looks quite decent but, If you have the money then, I would recommend something like this.

(04-27-2015, 02:17 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similar laptop to you, same CPU but using an iGPU instead of a discrete one. You should be fine to play Galaxy.
@Benze, that discrete graphics card will give a huge advantage over the integrated 4400, because of the VRAM and better performance. What's your budget and where are you located (so I can find you a better one for the same price)

That GP60 Leopard looks just like what I'd try to get. The problem is, I live in Brazil and electronics/consoles sometimes get ridiculously overpriced here, and the market isn't as accessible as in EU/NA. On top of that, dollar right now is terrible (R$2,95 for us). I suppose I could import something, but some products (such as this GP60) are only shipped within the US. My budget is probably topping around $900, so the issue is still shipping limitations by Amazon and other sites and import taxes.

What unsettles me is that Brazilian retailers can get you a machine such as the one I listed here for a decent price, but if you want anything better, you can only find it for 5-6x what you're paying. I hope you're able to find something for me, though. Maybe there is something I haven't found yet.

Thanks to all for replying.

Edit: I found this one and it supports shipping to where I live. The price is pretty good, but I have to pay an extra $720 for importing. I love people who make these tax laws... Just as I love not finding a similar machine where I live.
I think FedEx ships to Brazil for relatively cheap. Can you look into getting something shipped from eBay?
(04-27-2015, 07:22 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]I think FedEx ships to Brazil for relatively cheap. Can you look into getting something shipped from eBay?

I linked one when I edited my above reply. After searching about FedEx, I've seen many people saying it asks for 100% tributation (while regular shipping from eBay has to be 60%, apparently...).

That aside for now, how does your machine run Dolphin? You seem to have something almost identical to the one I first linked. Does it run TTYD fine? What is your performance like overall? I may settle for that, depending on your response (I'll probably get a Wii U next year, and Nintendo's adding GC games virtually, so...).

I mean, if you can play games with that, so can I. Keep in mind that I don't care too much about Galaxy, the only game I really want is TTYD. The rest is collateral.
Well, I haven't played ttyd on it, but it runs PoR excellent and Radiant Dawn (a more demanding game) at decent speeds. It also plays brawl and crystal chronicles at full speed. I can go get ttyd and try it for you maybe?
That's good to hear. I'm tempted to get the 4510u since it's 15W and most of the powerful CPUs are 75W apparently.

You would be doing a great favor to me by testing TTYD. If you could, please try it and tell me how it runs. Thank you!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5