Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: So...I got the 970.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Im doing some fps tests with dolphin as we speak. With 4.0-4368, these are my speeds in mario galaxy at 4x Native resolution, 2x antialiasing, 16x AF, at 1080p.

Totally worth it! Big Grin
Looks like Mario has lost his edge having trouble climbing that vine.
Nice to see more 60fps video's. Did you record this with Shadowplay?
My 280x also handles this no problem at those settings.
(12-01-2014, 09:29 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like Mario has lost his edge having trouble climbing that vine.

lol yeah sorry about that. I was using emulated wiimote mapped to my xbone controller. Forgot I needed waggle for that.

Yes! Shadowplay is the best.

*Oh and encase there is any confusion from readers, this thread is in response to my old thread about upgrading, that I didnt want to necro. I was told that the 970 would have minimum results for me, but Not only mario galaxy, but also skyward sword run perfectly at 4x native now! (Not possible with my previous 750ti)...(At least not with anti aliasing.
(12-01-2014, 09:57 PM)Dan_Tsukasa Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2014, 09:35 PM)rlaugh0095 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2014, 09:29 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like Mario has lost his edge having trouble climbing that vine.

lol yeah sorry about that. I was using emulated wiimote mapped to my xbone controller. Forgot I needed waggle for that.

Yes! Shadowplay is the best.

*Oh and encase there is any confusion from readers, this thread is in response to my old thread about upgrading, that I didnt want to necro. I was told that the 970 would have minimum results for me, but Not only mario galaxy, but also skyward sword run perfectly at 4x native now! (Not possible with my previous 750ti)...(At least not with anti aliasing.

Shadow play is great, though there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to record windowed mode, either that or I need something explained to me.

I have the 750Ti still, I've not tried Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword, but I've got a pretty solid CPU on here so I figured I would be able to play those if I wanted to.

I'm considering in future to upgrade to the 970 myself.

60FPS videos are great, really show how smooth things are.
Well my friend, I'd say it's worth it from my point of view. I've seen framerates in some of my favorite pc games double (Tomb Raider 2013 with max settings at 60fps is my prime example) Before I could only run it at like 28 fps with my 750ti (and amd 6300). If you have a beastier cpu than me, then I know you will see miracles worked! # pc master race Anyway, I have one more testiment to how great this card is, uploading to youtube as we speak. Be patient and prepare to have your mind blown!

Oh and as for shadowplay, Go into your gefore experiance settings, and make sure you capture desktop on. *Problem solved. Wink If you can't find it lemme know and ill screen cap for you.

Twilight Princess 4k and max speeds! Big Grin

Sadly, youtube nerfed the heck out of my bitrate, but still, shows what the card can do mixed with a mediocre cpu!
(12-01-2014, 11:28 PM)Dan_Tsukasa Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2014, 10:21 PM)rlaugh0095 Wrote: [ -> ]Well my friend, I'd say it's worth it from my point of view. I've seen framerates in some of my favorite pc games double (Tomb Raider 2013 with max settings at 60fps is my prime example) Before I could only run it at like 28 fps with my 750ti (and amd 6300). If you have a beastier cpu than me, then I know you will see miracles worked! # pc master race Anyway, I have one more testiment to how great this card is, uploading to youtube as we speak. Be patient and prepare to have your mind blown!

Oh and as for shadowplay, Go into your gefore experiance settings, and make sure you capture desktop on. *Problem solved. Wink If you can't find it lemme know and ill screen cap for you.

Twilight Princess 4k and max speeds! Big Grin

Sadly, youtube nerfed the heck out of my bitrate, but still, shows what the card can do mixed with a mediocre cpu!

Oh wow thats impressive.

I'm running an i7 4790 (I don't see the point in overclocking so I didn't get the k release), which is a pretty good CPU. I'll have to test out those games then, I've not tried Tomb Raider on this machine, probably should really, though I'm able to run The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at full settings at an almost constant 60fps (though it does drop to 50 occasionally, but generally its at 55-60, though I've also an SSD and 16GB of DDR3 RAM running (not much use for Dolphin though I think).

If I find a good deal on the 970 I might grab it, I'd rather grab the 980, buuut theres a $100 difference between the 2, and spec wise, there isn't really too much of a difference.

Won't Capture Desktop just end up capturing all the other useless junk too? Or will it only capture the game itself (that said, running a game in 4x on a 1920x1080 monitor doesn't really do much since its not actually AT 4x, its just scaled down to fit my screen (or is that not how dolphin works?).
Well on youtube, your supposed to get a higher bitrate when you upload 4k, so they look better on 1080 screens as well.....I don't think they did that on my video though. o.o It looks mediocre compared to the original file.

As for gaming in 4k on a 1080 screen, you get massive amounts of downsampling. ^.^
(12-01-2014, 11:28 PM)Dan_Tsukasa Wrote: [ -> ]If I find a good deal on the 970 I might grab it, I'd rather grab the 980, buuut theres a $100 difference between the 2, and spec wise, there isn't really too much of a difference.

Funnily enough, and depending on the brand, you can OC a 970 a bit further and it'll match or beat a reference 980; you can essentially have a 980 for ~$350 :p
(12-02-2014, 05:20 AM)TehGuy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2014, 11:28 PM)Dan_Tsukasa Wrote: [ -> ]If I find a good deal on the 970 I might grab it, I'd rather grab the 980, buuut theres a $100 difference between the 2, and spec wise, there isn't really too much of a difference.

Funnily enough, and depending on the brand, you can OC a 970 a bit further and it'll match or beat a reference 980; you can essentially have a 980 for ~$350 :p

Wow I didnt know that Big Grin
I'll have to look into it!
Impressive? I don't see anything special about this graphics card. You can do 98% of the same stuff with the dirt cheap AMD R270 non-X. (Yes, it's *that much* better than the way-too-expensive-for-the-performance-it-offers / underpowered GTX 750 Ti)

New technology? The only thing better about the 970 is the support for some future voxel lighting techniques and a more optimized OpenGL driver.

Everything else is already available on AMD cards.

1. ShadowPlay video recording? You can use the free Open Encode VFW app for that. It uses hadware VCE encoding and works just like ShadowPlay.

2. MFAA? (what an unfortunate name for an AA technique). It's been available on AMD cards since ancient times under the name Temporal MSAA and can re-enabled with a simple registry tweak.

3. DSR? There's a nifty litte app called GeDoSaTo that can do much more than what NVIDIA's limited DSR can do. This tool is not limited to 4K downsampling with a crappy Gaussian blur filter. You can downsample from 16K (!) if you wish and use a superior Lanczos filter.

4. SMG1 running at fullspeed on a shabby FX-6300? That's mostly due to Fiora's vertex loader optimizations in recent dev builds and other JIT optimizations using SSSE3 (that's SSE 3.1, not plain SSE 3), which your CPU does support.
If the older AMD Phenom II/Athlon II CPUs supported S-SSE3, it would've smoked that FX in Dolphin performance.

4xIR with 2xAA is also nothing to write home about. Its' equivalent is 6xIR, which is a piece of cake for the 270 non-X.

5. ZTP running at fullspeed in 4K? Not impressed. The 270 can run it at even higher res (4480x2520) with EFB to RAM and texture cache set to SAFEST (now that's what I call demanding!).
(12-02-2014, 12:05 PM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]Impressive? I don't see anything special about this graphics card. You can do 98% of the same stuff with the dirt cheap AMD R270 non-X. (Yes, it's *that much* better than the way-too-expensive-for-the-performance-it-offers / underpowered GTX 750 Ti)

New technology? The only thing better about the 970 is the support for some future voxel lighting features and a more optimized OpenGL driver.

Everything else is already available on AMD cards.

1. Shadowplay video recording? You can use the free Open-Source VCE recorder/converter app for that.

2. M.F.AA? (what an unfortunate name for an AA technique). It's been available on AMD cards since ancient times under the name 'Temporal MSAA' and can enabled via registry tweaks.

3. DSR? There's a nifty litte app called 'GeDoSaTo' that can do much more than what NVIDIA's limited DSR can do. This tool is not limited to 4K downsampling with a crappy Gaussian blur filter. You can downsample from 16K (!) if you wish and use a superior Lanczos filter.

4. SMG1 running at fullspeed on a crappy FX-6300? That's mostly due to Fiora's vertex loader optimizations in recent dev builds and other JIT optimizations using SSSE3 (that's SSE 3.1, not plain SSE 3) and SSE 4.1, which your CPU does support.
If the older AMD Phenom II/Athlon II CPUs supported S-SSE3, it would've smoked that FX in Dolphin performance.

4xIR with 2xAA is also nothing to write home about. Its' equivalent is 6xIR, which is a piece of cake for the 270 non-X.

5. ZTP running at fullspeed in 4K? Not impressed. The 270 can run it at even higher res (4480x2520) with EFB to RAM and texture cache set to SAFEST (now that's what I call demanding!).

IDC! It doesn't matter. Still awesome! XD
Quote:Open-Source VCE recorder/converter

I'm not sure you got the name for whatever that is quite right, as this thread is the top link on Google.

Anyway, a lot of the advantages of nVidia's versions of things is that they're easier to set up - if I was on my desktop right now, I could start recording with Shadowplay in three clicks and a button press (just the button press if I didn't have it turned off), and then stop with another button press, and otherwise have no impact on what I was doing. I can't google what you're trying to suggest is an alternative, so can't comment on it directly, but at least with FRAPS I'd end up with just part of my desktop recorded if I had an OpenGL thing running, such as Blender, and I'd get either a really crap quality video, or just over a gigabyte a minute, instead of almost perfect quality at about a gigabyte an hour.
Pages: 1 2 3 4