Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 4.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Ok so I heard and read some stuff about dolphin 4.0 coming out this mid September. I was wondering if these stuff can be added. 1. online play. I really want to see online play in dolphin but I don't see how that would work if someones game dosent stay at 60fps forever. Maybe we just need a good internet and not good specs lol. 2. I want the performance for it to be fast because some people are not able to play dolphin at good speeds so maybe dolphin 4.0 could be much faster than any other versions of dolphin and just have a lot of good performance since wii and gamecube don't even have good specs but we need a good pc to play them full speed lol.
(09-01-2013, 11:57 AM)xxballerxx54 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I heard and read some stuff about dolphin 4.0 coming out this mid September. I was wondering if these stuff can be added. 1. online play. I really want to see online play in dolphin but I don't see how that would work if someones game dosent stay at 60fps forever. Maybe we just need a good internet and not good specs lol. 2. I want the performance for it to be fast because some people are not able to play dolphin at good speeds so maybe dolphin 4.0 could be much faster than any other versions of dolphin and just have a lot of good performance since wii and gamecube don't even have good specs but we need a good pc to play them full speed lol.
So i don't want to sound really mean, but its pretty clear you don't have a great knowledge of how emulation works. A computer is very different from a console it contains different much more advanced hardware, so what an emulator does is try to mimic the HARDWARE actions taken by a console and because the two are very different it takes a lot of computer power to do this. Dolphin will never be usable by anyone with a low end PC and even those with the high ends will always encounter problems. As for multiplayer on Wii games i doubt that will happen because that like writing a whole new emulator, and just more stress on people PC's who already struggle with emulation.
I hope you have learnt something from this. I think what can be expected from the next update would be mostly performance improvements but like i said there will always be limits to what can be done.
1) We already do have online play, both WFC and netplay. You really can't expect either to work especially well if one computer can't run fullspeed, since there are a host of sync issues that come with some computers not running at the same speed.

2) Performance is likely to mirror the current development revisions on the master branch. While developers do keep performance in mind (except for neobrain :p) accuracy is the chief concern for many. Dolphin needs to do many more steps to emulate the same effects and computations that the original hardware does, thus it generally takes more computational resources to emulate a system than the original system ever needed to run.
Not that it wouldn't be possible to make Dolphin a lot faster than it currently is. Our JIT is extremely basic in how it works, our video emulation needs to keep D3D9 compatibility (limiting what we can do a lot, for example no integer in shaders), and there are some PPC instructions that just aren't JITed yet. See https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wi...ationIdeas for some optimization ideas.
D3D9 seems to be more accurate than D3D11 ATM, not to mention a whole lot faster. I really don't understand why D3D9 is labeled deprecated, so I'm hoping someone can take off the deprecated label off the D3D9 backend in the graphics config screen.
D3D9 is less accurate and is only faster because we're limited in what we can do in D3D11/GL while keeping D3D9 compatibility. D3D9 will go away as soon as 4.0 is released and there's no question about that. FWIW, even the most active opponent to D3D9 deprecation (rodolfo) agreed since there are some features (proper early-z forcing) that are present on GC but can't be properly emulated with D3D9 (D3D11/GL are fine).
No more D3D9? Wow .. The more I get to read about 4.0 here the more obnoxious it gets to me ..
(09-02-2013, 07:01 AM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]D3D9 is less accurate and is only faster because we're limited in what we can do in D3D11/GL while keeping D3D9 compatibility. D3D9 will go away as soon as 4.0 is released and there's no question about that. FWIW, even the most active opponent to D3D9 deprecation (rodolfo) agreed since there are some features (proper early-z forcing) that are present on GC but can't be properly emulated with D3D9 (D3D11/GL are fine).
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-br...s-brawl-hd
Well if that's the case then do you know the reason Yami's texture pack doesn't work with D3D11 or OpenGL. Is it the textures themselves (if it is I can probably fix that). Or is it a problem with the way Dolphin handles custom textures. I'm working on a texture pack myself and it works fine with OpenGL and D3D11 (as well as D3D9).
If DX9 will dissappear in 4.0, then can you try to make a speed enhacement in DX11? Afaik, some games are still running slow with the DX11 backend.
That won't happen by 4.0, it might happen after tho
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15