Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FX 6300? Anyone use this CPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I put this build on hold:

FX 6300 @ Stock (will OC later on)
8GB Ram
Radeon 7770 OC Edition

I've been browsing the forums and read somewhere that I won't be able to run most games at full speed. I thought since Dolphin is so CPU intensive then it should run fine @ 1680 x 1050. Huh

I know my graphics card is fine and I have enough ram, just anxious about the processor. Does anyone use it?
I wanna play Wind Waker, Super Smash Brothers (Brawl and Melee) and some other games.
I'm not an expert but since dolphin is so cpu intensive you might want to go with something a bit better for example like the i5 2500k or i5 3570k, they cost a bit more than the fx 6300 but it is definitely worth it, but that's just personal choice I have never used AMD. That being said, the AMD FX series is under the "very fast" category in the CPU hierarchy https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...-hierarchy you should be able to run most games at full speed so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you Smile
(07-25-2013, 03:32 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not an expert but since dolphin is so cpu intensive you might want to go with something a bit better for example like the i5 2500k or i5 3570k, they cost a bit more than the fx 6300 but it is definitely worth it, but that's just personal choice I have never used AMD. That being said, the AMD FX series is under the "very fast" category in the CPU hierarchy https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...-hierarchy you should be able to run most games at full speed so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you Smile
I definitely would if I had the money xD. But right now, the FX 6300 is all I can afford ~ hopefully it all works out well. Gonna see if they're any benchmarks with the CPU.

What are your specs and hows gameplay?
(07-25-2013, 03:24 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been browsing the forums and read somewhere that I won't be able to run most games at full speed

AMD processors usually aren't the best deal for Dolphin. However if you overclock it will do the job for a lot of games.

(07-25-2013, 03:24 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]I wanna play Wind Waker, Super Smash Brothers (Brawl and Melee)

These games shouldn't give you troubles.

(07-25-2013, 03:24 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]and some other games.

Which ones?
(07-25-2013, 03:45 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your specs and hows gameplay?
I play with an i5 3570k and nvidia gtx 550 ti, gameplay is great I am able to run all of my games at fullspeed with 16x anisotropic filtering and 9x anti aliasing, I keep my internal resolution at 1x because I don't really see much difference when I put it higher (With these settings the game looks as if you were playing them on the actual console) but I can put the IR up to 2.5x without losing fps
(07-25-2013, 03:48 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2013, 03:24 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been browsing the forums and read somewhere that I won't be able to run most games at full speed

AMD processors usually aren't the best deal for Dolphin. However if you overclock it will do the job for a lot of games.

(07-25-2013, 03:24 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]I wanna play Wind Waker, Super Smash Brothers (Brawl and Melee)

These games shouldn't give you troubles.

(07-25-2013, 03:24 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]and some other games.

Which ones?
Thanks for the re-assurance, I've noticed that Intel seems to be a lot snappier, even with dual cores like the i3. And games:

-Pretty Much ALL Zelda Games on GC and Wii
-All Super Smash Brothers Games
-Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3 for Wii
-Star Fox Assault and Adventure

Hmm, that's it for now, though my library will grow as I remember some more titles. Any that I may struggle with?
Spoiler:
The Twilight Princess is one.
(07-25-2013, 04:04 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-25-2013, 03:45 AM)nsahawks7 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your specs and hows gameplay?
I play with an i5 3570k and nvidia gtx 550 ti, gameplay is great I am able to run all of my games at fullspeed with 16x anisotropic filtering and 9x anti aliasing, I keep my internal resolution at 1x because I don't really see much difference when I put it higher (With these settings the game looks as if you were playing them on the actual console) but I can put the IR up to 2.5x without losing fps

(07-25-2013, 04:16 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
Spoiler:
The Twilight Princess is one.
Should have said it earlier, but I have an actual copy of TP on my Wii, so that's not an issue xD.

The i5 seems like the sweet spot for Dolphin, I wonder why.

Sorry about the double post, but I found a few videos of AMD processors running Skyward Sword (pretty demanding game) at what looks like to be full speed:

FX 6100: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB59xK6H7cE

Phenom II 955 (FULL HD 1080P): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CIhm0R-_p8

Twilight Princess on an FX 6100: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAIskpLG9A
The CPU plays a really big part in performance but with a few tweaks in the graphics tab you can increase your fps Smile
(07-25-2013, 04:49 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU plays a really big part in performance but with a few tweaks in the graphics tab you can increase your fps Smile
Ahhh that sounds much better, HD would be nice but if I have to cut some things down I'm fine with that.

Also, someone said something about OCing. If I get this to say, 4.2Ghz, do you know what the Intel equivalent would be approximately?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8