Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Power Supply: Corsair?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi all.

I want to get 1080p, full speed performance out of my computer. I'm going to need a new power supply to do it.

I've heard good things about Corsair. I'm also seeing that other makers offer (supposedly) better specs for the same price - so I'm wondering if Corsair is the way to go, or if its better to get a power supply that says it has more power.

Specifically, I was looking at this Corsair and this Rosewill.

The video card I'm looking at is this XFX Radeon HD 6870.

This was the computer I recently purchased.

Windows 7, 64-Bit
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6450 (currently)
12.0 GB RAM
Dolphin 3.0-601-dirty

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! Smile
You don't need a PSU that outputs so much Watts.

Get one that has atleast 80% efficiency and outputs 500Watts.
Post here what you've found so I can doublecheck it for you.

The 6870 is an excellent choice for both PC gaming and emulating.

You should be fine with the 2600 in most games on stock clocks.
Games like Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 require you to overclock to play it with LLE at fullspeed which you can't do.
(You don't have K version of the CPU)
I have the exact same Corsair power supply as well as exactly the same XFX graphics card. I've had them for about 6 months with no problems. In fact, I fried my first motherboard and CPU with too much voltage while overclocking, but the rest of my system experienced no damage, so I would say that the power supply is pretty good. As far as 750W goes, that should be fine for what you have. You really would only need more than that if you plan on using crossfire.

The only potential problem with your system is that you won't be able to reach full speed in some of the more demanding games due to the fact that you can't overclock your processor. If you would like to play most games at full speed, you might want to consider upgrading to a 3570k or 3770k (hyperthreading doesn't matter for Dolphin though) depending on your budget.
Quote:As far as 750W goes, that should be fine for what you have. You really would only need more than that if you plan on using crossfire.

I think 750W may actually handle two of the cards he stated. I'd say 450W may be a tiny bit of overkill for a single 6870.
Quote:I think 750W may actually handle two of the cards he stated. I'd say 450W may be a tiny bit of overkill for a single 6870.
He can even Crossfire with the 500W. The 450W is indeed more than enough for a single 6870.
Wow, I didn't realize how little power it would actually need. Even with an unhealthy amount of overclocking and crossfire, the calculator only recommended 529W. However, for a single 6870, 426W is recommended, so you can be safe going as low as 430W.
Thanks for the replies.

So because my processor is an Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, some games will not go full speed at 1080p. I appreciate you guys clearing that up!

But if I get the new power supply and the XFX Radeon HD 6870 video card, will Gamecube games at least run full speed at 1080p with my current processor?

Thanks again.
Lol, who told you that getting a PSU would increase your performance?
It doesn't. The main component that increases your performance is the CPU. The GPU is there for you to play games at higher resolutions without slowing you down.
(05-04-2012, 04:02 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, who told you that getting a PSU would increase your performance?
It doesn't. The main component that increases your performance is the CPU. The GPU is there for you to play games at higher resolutions without slowing you down.

Oh, I'm sorry - let me clarify. Big Grin

I knew that a PSU did nothing for the performance. Its just that my gutless wonder of a PSU now is only 280W; so I knew I needed a new PSU if I got a new video card.

So long story short, will purchasing the XFX Radeon HD 6870 video card to go along with my Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz = 1080p full speed for GameCube games and 720p full speed for Wii games? (like Super Mario Galaxy, etc)

Its great that you are answering my posts so quickly - I'm pleasantly surprised to find a forum on the internet where people actually attempt to be helpful. What you've told me already is good-to-know.
Super Mario Galaxy needs more than an i7-2600 - SMG needs 4.4GHz for fullspeed (with LLE enabled!!), which you can only achieve if you've got the k version of this CPU.

Pages: 1 2 3 4