Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: g73jh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So i have an asus G73jh

Processor Name Intel Core i7-740QM
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor Speed 1.73 GHz
RAM 8 GB
Weight 8.2 lb
Screen Size 17.3 inches
Screen Size Type Widescreen
Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 5870
Graphics Memory 512
Storage Capacity (as Tested) 640 GB
Rotation Speed 5400 rpm--------- Installing new SSD
Networking Options 802.11n
Primary Optical Drive Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
Battery Type 75 Whr (Watt hours)

I have read mixed reviews about this lappy... I have read that people get 60FPS in games like SMG2 and LOZ-SS But yet i have issues getting 100% emulation out of it. I have the latest build. I have tried tweaking my system i know it CAN handle it, i just havnt gotten it there or figured out what is bottle necking. Im assuming it my i7 people always say that it is the choke point, but people have proven this wrong time and time again. Any thoughts as to what im doing wrong? I can post my Emu specs if needed. THANKS
(03-29-2012, 02:04 PM)jagernaut Wrote: [ -> ]I have read mixed reviews about this lappy... I have read that people get 60FPS in games like SMG2 and LOZ-SS But yet i have issues getting 100% emulation out of it.

No offense, but you must have read wrong.

Quote:I have the latest build. I have tried tweaking my system i know it CAN handle it, i just havnt gotten it there or figured out what is bottle necking. Im assuming it my i7 people always say that it is the choke point, but people have proven this wrong time and time again. Any thoughts as to what im doing wrong? I can post my Emu specs if needed. THANKS

It certainly looks like your CPU is the trouble. I'm no expert with mobile GPUs, but I think yours should be good enough even if you left your internal resolution on 1x and AA off. Your CPU, however, isn't so hot for Dolphin's more demanding games.

Dolphin's usually only a dual-core app (tri-core if you use LLE on Thread), so it's not like it can take full advantage of the i7. You really need a good CPU, and the base 1.73GHz is pretty bad for Dolphin. Fortunately, it should do alright in a lot of games if you can Turbo Boost to a decent speed, but it still won't be enough for SMG2 on LLE audio. LLE is required for certain parts of the game, and currently only heavily overclocked Sandy Bridge chips like the i5-2500K and i7-2600K can reach full-speed consistently. Full-speed SMG2 with LLE audio on a laptop is something we can only dream about right now.

Haven't played LoZ-SS on Dolphin (still playing it on the Wii), but it might be possible to get close to full-speed on your system, though maybe not in open areas.

There's some stuff you can do for a speed up. If you're not already using a 64-bit version of Windows, you should be. Also, try downloading an optimized build from the threads in the Development forum. Lectrode, ExtremeDude2, and DefenderX all provide optimized builds, though ideally you'll want a 64-bit version of the builds too. If you honestly believe you should be getting more out of your system, post your settings as text or a screenshot so we can see if anything might need to be changed.
(03-29-2012, 02:36 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2012, 02:04 PM)jagernaut Wrote: [ -> ]I have read mixed reviews about this lappy... I have read that people get 60FPS in games like SMG2 and LOZ-SS But yet i have issues getting 100% emulation out of it.

No offense, but you must have read wrong.

Quote:I have the latest build. I have tried tweaking my system i know it CAN handle it, i just havnt gotten it there or figured out what is bottle necking. Im assuming it my i7 people always say that it is the choke point, but people have proven this wrong time and time again. Any thoughts as to what im doing wrong? I can post my Emu specs if needed. THANKS

It certainly looks like your CPU is the trouble. I'm no expert with mobile GPUs, but I think yours should be good enough even if you left your internal resolution on 1x and AA off. Your CPU, however, isn't so hot for Dolphin's more demanding games.

Dolphin's usually only a dual-core app (tri-core if you use LLE on Thread), so it's not like it can take full advantage of the i7. You really need a good CPU, and the base 1.73GHz is pretty bad for Dolphin. Fortunately, it should do alright in a lot of games if you can Turbo Boost to a decent speed, but it still won't be enough for SMG2 on LLE audio. LLE is required for certain parts of the game, and currently only heavily overclocked Sandy Bridge chips like the i5-2500K and i7-2600K can reach full-speed consistently. Full-speed SMG2 with LLE audio on a laptop is something we can only dream about right now.

Haven't played LoZ-SS on Dolphin (still playing it on the Wii), but it might be possible to get close to full-speed on your system, though maybe not in open areas.

There's some stuff you can do for a speed up. If you're not already using a 64-bit version of Windows, you should be. Also, try downloading an optimized build from the threads in the Development forum. Lectrode, ExtremeDude2, and DefenderX all provide optimized builds, though ideally you'll want a 64-bit version of the builds too. If you honestly believe you should be getting more out of your system, post your settings as text or a screenshot so we can see if anything might need to be changed.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=12380

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=13811

Hmmm, I guess they could be lying...

Laptop : 40FPS with SMG , IR:2.5(1600x900), No AA, 16x Anisotropic F . Zelda SS run fine though
Desktop : 50-60FPS on my desktop (with HLE back end of course). SMG + LLE back end require i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz or higher
Your i7 won't cut it
OP's CPU is too weak
So the three people in the link above are lying about getting smooth performance out of this laptop?

Also if you're not 100% sure that this laptop CANT handle a smooth running SMG or such in the dolphin emu please don't say it cant. But if you are sure i don't mind, its just that a lot of the time it will run smooth for a while then stop. I belive what happens is it will overclock itself to the ~2.4 or whatever and it will run smoothly then it will drop due to program restrictions. Im sure that some people have figured out how to tweak this to run smooth constantly.

Also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Yirt3dvUA
That galaxy only + frameskip enabled
Even i5 450M could run full speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocqsv3OXD3k
Try some other galaxy then you'll see
(03-29-2012, 07:31 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]That galaxy only + frameskip enabled
Even i5 450M could run full speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocqsv3OXD3k
Try some other galaxy then you'll see

? i dont see your point?
Frame Skipping make it look like the game is running full speed but apparently it's not
You may have 60FPS on some galaxy but 30-40FPS on most galaxy .
SMG need LLE back end to pass the Grand Star (Dolphin will freeze if you use HLE back end) . LLE back end is slow on most computer unless you have i5 2500k 4.4Ghz

Most info can be found on dolphin wiki
To be helpful, here's the link to the wiki entry of SMG.

-> http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?ti...rio_Galaxy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5