Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anyone try Sandy Bridge with Dolphin yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quote:I know this Sandy Bridge series isn't going to be as nice as what is coming mid year but I think its a huge leap from a 775. I think 775 prices are going to tank here which is why I'm dumping my processor and mobo before more people realize they should just upgrade to sandySmile

Actually unless bulldozer pulls off something miraculous nothing that can run dolphin faster will be coming for a long time. Dolphin only use 2 threads so the 6 and 8 cores sandy bridge cpus coming later in the year would be a pointless upgrade. And although we can't say for sure until it comes out bulldozer is unlikely to be faster than sandy bridge at running vector intensive dual threaded programs like dolphin. You should be good with that upgrade for quite some time.
No idea if this is possible or not but is there a way to assign cores to work together. For instance cores 1 and 2 work together as core 1, cores 3 and 4 work together as core 2? Like an SLI for cpu's
(01-18-2011, 02:58 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I know this Sandy Bridge series isn't going to be as nice as what is coming mid year but I think its a huge leap from a 775. I think 775 prices are going to tank here which is why I'm dumping my processor and mobo before more people realize they should just upgrade to sandySmile

Actually unless bulldozer pulls off something miraculous nothing that can run dolphin faster will be coming for a long time. Dolphin only use 2 threads so the 6 and 8 cores sandy bridge cpus coming later in the year would be a pointless upgrade. And although we can't say for sure until it comes out bulldozer is unlikely to be faster than sandy bridge at running vector intensive dual threaded programs like dolphin. You should be good with that upgrade for quite some time.

I agree- I don't need 8 cores and don't even really *need* 4 The only reason I got a faster processor is to get better performance out of the emulators. I'm quite content with my 4.5 GHz cpu and should be for a while.

Quote:No idea if this is possible or not but is there a way to assign cores to work together. For instance cores 1 and 2 work together as core 1, cores 3 and 4 work together as core 2? Like an SLI for cpu's

This is called load balancing and is already employed by the operating system.

Applying additional threads is not simple to do, especially in a console which relies on the timing of a certain function to keep the timing of another in check.
I7 2600k (4.7 Ghz atm on stock cooler) + ASUS P8p67 PRO + Gskillz Ripjawz 8Gigas DDR3 1333Mhz(9-9-9-24) + CrossfireX Radeon 5870

Coming from Q6600 @ 3.5 Ghz + Gskillz Pi Series 4 Gigas DDR2 1066 Mhz + Radeon 5870 , and I can tell you the difference is huge , most of my games are running 100% , like Smackdown Vs Raw 2010 , Super Mario Galaxy 2 ...

Everything Maxed out , and still 60 FPS @ 5040X1050 , and less graphical errors or bugs .

Very impressed and satisfied that I have been waiting 4 years before changing my setup !

ON TOPIC : You will see a big jump in "Memory Bandwith" from DDR3 1333 to 2133 for example ,and better results obviously when "efb to RAM" (like natural violence stated) is activated .

In real world , like in games , you wont see much of a difference , that s why I always recommend a better quality more than a better speed for those sticks (I payed 60dollars for my 8 gis of DDR3 1333 , 2 days ago ^^)

abfab126, what fps did you get in smg2 with EFB to RAM with your Q6600 compared to the 2600K ?
Cant remember how much , but definitely not 60 FPS all the way !

I was able to do 60 FPS, yes , but it was with a resolution of 1920x1080 ,and 60 was not stable at all , sometimes It was 50-60FPS .
Most of the time it was at around 40 FPS with 5040X1050 resolution and everything maxed out !

Now everything I throw at it will be eaten alive !

Can you check FPS in SMG1, just stand in the observatory at the spawn point, with all FPS limiting disabled and no crazy SSAA settings on?
(01-18-2011, 11:08 PM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Can you check FPS in SMG1, just stand in the observatory at the spawn point, with all FPS limiting disabled and no crazy SSAA settings on?

Yeah, test the observatory(without and with 'Enable CPU Access' please).

Thanks.
and also with DSP-LLE plug-in? pretty please! for reference I get ~38fps as of r6837 with a phenom II @3.1ghz, HD5670 and 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 at native res.[/align]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7