Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anyone try Sandy Bridge with Dolphin yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(01-19-2011, 01:39 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2011, 12:46 AM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2011, 11:08 PM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Can you check FPS in SMG1, just stand in the observatory at the spawn point, with all FPS limiting disabled and no crazy SSAA settings on?

Cant help you there , I only own SMG2.

Could you participate in my Dolphin benchmark here LINK ? Your participation would give a comparable result to existing processors, thnx.

Yep , will do , certainly during next week end , cause Im a bit busy at work atm .
(01-19-2011, 12:42 AM)azzbarb Wrote: [ -> ]...been testing my 2600k at 3.7ghz, 285gtx, 4gb ddr3 1600
efb to texture, v-sync, no AA, enable audio throttle off, frame limit off, switching between 3d9 and 3d11 as 3d11 works better for some games(wii only not gamecube)

smg1 - when in the observatory at the spawn point 60fps constant no lag what so ever, runs awsome apart from the sound issue...

Are you using t 'Enable CPU Access' option?

Thanks.
(01-19-2011, 08:26 AM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]@remedy2

I think it's your gpu that's holding you back. The gtx 460 is a mid-range card after all. I think what you need is something like gtx 480 or an hd 5870, and then you shouldn't have problem with those games.

GTX 460 is still high end card.
The benchmarks for it are still high enough to make it "high end"

GTX 480 is king though but cost more than $400. WAY too much if you ask me. 5870 doesnt compare to 480 at all maybe you ment 6950
(01-21-2011, 03:48 PM)ajaxxx Wrote: [ -> ]

I think it's your gpu that's holding you back. The gtx 460 is a mid-range card after all. I think what you need is something like gtx 480 or an hd 5870, and then you shouldn't have problem with those games.

GTX 480 is king though but cost more than $400. WAY too much if you ask me. 5870 doesnt compare to 480 at all maybe you ment 6950

Price wise, it's not considered as high-end. There's only 2 kings at the moment, the gtx 580 and the hd 6970.
It has taken a while to reply (been busy), but I read everything people said. I'm going to buy some RAM today (yeah, still haven't bought it because I've been busy) since there's a 15% off RAM sale at Newegg. Before I buy, if I'm already getting an i5 2500 (great processor), and a GTX 560 or 570 (or something between or around those), would I miss not having higher speed RAM if it costs 20-40 bucks more? If I was going to get the better RAM and P67 motherboard, would 1600 be great (as in, is higher than that kind of pointless)? Also, does CAS affect Dolphin at all or anything like that? I know higher speed memory normally has worse timings. Also, for the price of better memory and the motherboard for it, I could probably get 8GB of 1333 RAM (though I wouldn't, I'd just save the money, but you get the idea).

Thanks in advance. I'm a bit anxious about this and I have to make the decision by later today. =)
(01-28-2011, 04:23 AM)iluvdolphin Wrote: [ -> ]It has taken a while to reply (been busy), but I read everything people said. I'm going to buy some RAM today (yeah, still haven't bought it because I've been busy) since there's a 15% off RAM sale at Newegg. Before I buy, if I'm already getting an i5 2500 (great processor), and a GTX 560 or 570 (or something between or around those), would I miss not having higher speed RAM if it costs 20-40 bucks more? If I was going to get the better RAM and P67 motherboard, would 1600 be great (as in, is higher than that kind of pointless)? Also, does CAS affect Dolphin at all or anything like that? I know higher speed memory normally has worse timings. Also, for the price of better memory and the motherboard for it, I could probably get 8GB of 1333 RAM (though I wouldn't, I'd just save the money, but you get the idea).

Thanks in advance. I'm a bit anxious about this and I have to make the decision by later today. =)

faster ram is generally better. sure timings could affect performance up to a point but, generally speaking the faster the ram is the better. the faster your cpu can exchange information with the ram, the quicker everything is going to work. 9 clock cycles isn't much of a delay when you are running at 1600mhz. intel cpu's generally handle the xmp profiles pretty good and allow you to get your xmp sticks up to 2ghz. i dont know if your cpu will do that specifically, as im seeing that it is listed as being compatible up to 1333. if you are familiar with overclocking you might be able to get better sticks of memory and overclock it to 1600.

will you notice a significant difference in dolphin between 1333 and 1600? probably not.
(01-28-2011, 05:06 AM)inteGReddy Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2011, 04:23 AM)iluvdolphin Wrote: [ -> ]It has taken a while to reply (been busy), but I read everything people said. I'm going to buy some RAM today (yeah, still haven't bought it because I've been busy) since there's a 15% off RAM sale at Newegg. Before I buy, if I'm already getting an i5 2500 (great processor), and a GTX 560 or 570 (or something between or around those), would I miss not having higher speed RAM if it costs 20-40 bucks more? If I was going to get the better RAM and P67 motherboard, would 1600 be great (as in, is higher than that kind of pointless)? Also, does CAS affect Dolphin at all or anything like that? I know higher speed memory normally has worse timings. Also, for the price of better memory and the motherboard for it, I could probably get 8GB of 1333 RAM (though I wouldn't, I'd just save the money, but you get the idea).

faster ram is generally better. sure timings could affect performance up to a point but, generally speaking the faster the ram is the better. the faster your cpu can exchange information with the ram, the quicker everything is going to work. 9 clock cycles isn't much of a delay when you are running at 1600mhz. intel cpu's generally handle the xmp profiles pretty good and allow you to get your xmp sticks up to 2ghz. i dont know if your cpu will do that specifically, as im seeing that it is listed as being compatible up to 1333. if you are familiar with overclocking you might be able to get better sticks of memory and overclock it to 1600.

will you notice a significant difference in dolphin between 1333 and 1600? probably not.
The CPU I want has an unlocked memory multiplier, but that can only be used if I get a tad more expensive motherboard. How many games are very EFB to RAM limited anyway that the speed would ever kick in? Does the 20% increase in bandwidth actually translate to 20% better EFB to RAM performance? I'm mainly concerned with first party titles. If the difference in something (using EFB to RAM) is like, 2%, that doesn't seem worth it.
The difference with efb to ram should be significant. With efb to texture their won't be any benefit at all. And yes latency affects memory read/write speeds just as much as frequency.
(01-21-2011, 07:20 PM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2011, 03:48 PM)ajaxxx Wrote: [ -> ]

Price wise, it's not considered as high-end. There's only 2 kings at the moment, the gtx 580 and the hd 6970.

I don't notice any perf. difference between 480 and 580 in dolphin.

A 460 or 470 will probably run 99% of games at full speed if only your processor allows for it. There is no reason to get anything higher just for wii games.

Okay, decided on either 1866 or 1600 (different timings with the kits I'm looking at so I have to check a chart to see which is actually better). Thanks for the help =)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7