Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anyone try Sandy Bridge with Dolphin yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(01-14-2011, 04:19 AM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]You will see very little fps gain to none. Only CPU and GPU matters the most.
Okay, cool. I only thought differently because I read some thread on here where people were saying triple channel 1066 DDR3 (which has the same bandwidth as dual 1600) is quite a bit better than 1333 dual channel in Dolphin when using EFB to RAM.
^Don't listen to him.
Quote:Can anyone give me advice on whether there's a difference with 1333 Mhz DDR3 and 1600 Mhz (both CAS 7) in Dolphin?
That depends on the platform and settings. It makes a huge difference when efb to ram is used on LGA1156 or LGA1366 platforms (and therefore LGA1155 as well). This can be confirmed by dozens of threads and posts you can find with the search function on this forum where I7 users have noted the difference. With efb to texture it makes little to no difference in any game.

Quote:You will see very little fps gain to none. Only CPU and GPU matters the most

Not true at all. With efb to ram memory bandwidth is nearly always the bottleneck as long as your gpu and cpu are decent.
1. CPU - Typically, this area is where you get most of your fps gain, either by overclocking or get a faster cpu.
2. GPU - Getting a faster GPU allowed you to play at higher resolution with all the eye candy turned on.
3. RAM: Very little fps gain to non-existence

If you gonna recommend Ram over the others, then something with wrong with your head.
He just asked if it would make a significant difference, and I gave him the answer to that question. Ram matters when you're using efb to ram. And since efb to ram is the only way to accurately reproduce all fb effects one day everyone will be using it. But you're right I wouldn't recommend a ram upgrade over a cpu or gpu upgrade unless they already have high end video card and an i7 cpu.
What speed of RAM is good for EFB to RAM then?
Depends on your budget. Also where are those threads that claims that RAM make a 'significant difference' in terms of fps. I'd like to read about it and see what's all of this about.
Use the search form at the bottom right of the forum. And it only makes a difference with efb to ram, most people use efb to texture.

Quote:What speed of RAM is good for EFB to RAM then?

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Most games don't need efb to ram and usually efb to ram is too slow to be usable without a core i7. If you are planning on getting an i7 setup I would recommend ddr3 1600 simply because it's cheap. If you're going for sandy bridge try to get a kit with 1.5v rated voltage. Sandy bridge doesn't like high memory voltages. If you have to get ddr3 1333 that's fine to, you're not going to notice a huge difference between the two. If you're on any platform other than LGA1156, LGA1366, or LGA1155 don't worry about it period.
I bought a 2500K I'm pretty freakin happy with. I have it running @ 4.5 GHz now with no problems. I went from a 775 Q9550 @ 4GHz to this and I'm seeing big performance boosts in Dolphin and PCSX2. I have yet to find a game on either that will not run at @100% although I've only tried about 4-5 so far. The thing that sold me on the upgrade is microcenter was selling the 2500k's for $179 and the Q9550 processors are still going for $200+ on ebay. I can probably sell my EVGA 790i for 160-180 so the whole upgrade will probably cost me $30-40 in the endSmile

Anyway no need to spend the extra $120 for the 2600k IMO. I'm sure it is a kick butt processor and all but if you want to run emulators and any games the 2500k is great.
(01-17-2011, 01:48 PM)remedy2 Wrote: [ -> ]I bought a 2500K I'm pretty freakin happy with. I have it running @ 4.5 GHz now with no problems. I went from a 775 Q9550 @ 4GHz to this and I'm seeing big performance boosts in Dolphin and PCSX2. I have yet to find a game on either that will not run at @100% although I've only tried about 4-5 so far. The thing that sold me on the upgrade is microcenter was selling the 2500k's for $179 and the Q9550 processors are still going for $200+ on ebay. I can probably sell my EVGA 790i for 160-180 so the whole upgrade will probably cost me $30-40 in the endSmile

Anyway no need to spend the extra $120 for the 2600k IMO. I'm sure it is a kick butt processor and all but if you want to run emulators and any games the 2500k is great.
Here are some games that you might be interested in benching: Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner (PS2 game) always use 90-100 percenst on the GPU in PCSX2 on my GTX 460 768mb. As for the Wii/gamecube, Mario Galaxy series and Twilight Princess (Hyrule Field) are the only games that I know in dolphin that are quite hard reach 60 fps for most people, even me.

My pc specs:
- Core 2 E6300 @3.7Ghz
- MSi Twin Frozr II GTX 460 768
- 4gb ddr2 ram 1066mhz
(01-17-2011, 02:42 PM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]Here are some games that you might be interested in benching: Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner (PS2 game) always use 90-100 percenst on the GPU in PCSX2 on my GTX 460 768mb. As for the Wii/gamecube, Mario Galaxy series and Twilight Princess (Hyrule Field) are the only games that I know in dolphin that are quite hard reach 60 fps for most people, even me.

My pc specs:
- Core 2 E6300 @3.7Ghz
- MSi Twin Frozr II GTX 460 768
- 4gb ddr2 ram 1066mhz

Tried both of those on the Dolphin for a few minutes and they run @ 100%. I haven't tried Zone of the Enders in PCSX2 but have tried God of War 2 which I had a hard time hitting 80-85% in scenes with a large depth of field. It now hits 100% in every scene no problem.

I know this Sandy Bridge series isn't going to be as nice as what is coming mid year but I think its a huge leap from a 775. I think 775 prices are going to tank here which is why I'm dumping my processor and mobo before more people realize they should just upgrade to sandySmile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7