Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Crazy idea to make a HD wii..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So they have these gimmicky wii-HD upscalers floating around that are all around unimpressive but allow a HDMI connection.

http://www.wiinintendo.net/2010/03/30/vd...or-test-1/

What if you were to run dolphin under wii-linux with a hdmi connection?

Would you get flawless emulation on the native hardware with all the extra bells and whistles that dolphin provides?

Just curious, i'm obviously not a coder.
I don't really understand your question? Dolphin does all the processing, the extra resolution is because your computer is more powerful than a wii so can generate them better. A cable to a Wii wouldn't help in any way.
Let me break this down.

1) Take your home brew enabled Wii connected via HDMI.

2) Load up Wii-Linux and install dolphin on your Wii. (yes you can install Linux on Wii, quite a variety of builds.)

3) Set resolution to 1920x1080 in dolphin and play.
play with dolphin on a real wii Smile u guys r funny, but yeah, you could play in 3D xD
....Did you even stop to think a little of why the real wii can't even handle HD natively? (no, upscaler is not HD, it's just a filter).

And do you honestly think an emulator could do better than the no-overhead native function under the hardware?

Sorry I can't word my thought good enough and I'm no coder either but really, all you need is a little logic and understanding what an emulator is to see that this is a stupid and unfeasible idea.
(07-27-2010, 09:12 PM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]....Did you even stop to think a little of why the real wii can't even handle HD natively? (no, upscaler is not HD, it's just a filter).

And do you honestly think an emulator could do better than the no-overhead native function under the hardware?

Sorry I can't word my thought good enough and I'm no coder either but really, all you need is a little logic and understanding what an emulator is to see that this is a stupid and unfeasible idea.

Yes I did stop to think why a Wii can't do HD and the main barrier I seen is the lack of a HDMI connection which is now available.

The 360 did not do 1080P originally, they software patched it in when the PS3 launched.

The Wii does not play DvD's natively (or didn't, a patch came out in Japan) but it is capable of doing so. Nintendo just chose not to deal with the licensing issues.

I was always under the impression the more similar the hardware the easier emulation was to accomplish.
Now that is interesting since some games have severe lag even on 480p (like HM Animal Parade) though this could be because of sloppy coding.

360 and PS3 are vastly more powerful machine though apparently still not as powerful as modern PC since the 1080p games usually has no AA (or blurred, meh) and graphic comparable to medium setting in the game's PC port.

I'm not familiar with Linux in Wii but I got the impression that though it is installable in Wii I doubt it got all access of Wii hardware (or have no driver of its), like PS3 which lock RSX and all but one cell processor in Yellow Dog.

And even if supposedly someone succed in making a wii-emulator-on-wii (lol that sounds so strange), I doubt that it could play better than than the "official" no-overhead wii.
Wow, this idea is so bad that I had to make an account to tell you how bad it is

Quote:Yes I did stop to think why a Wii can't do HD and the main barrier I seen is the lack of a HDMI connection which is now available.
You are still talking about upscaling, in addition the wii only renders in 480p, and you are under the impression that everyone was on standard definition until hdmi came along, this is simply not the case

Component
VGA

Quote:The 360 did not do 1080P originally, they software patched it in when the PS3 launched.

It still does not "do" 1080p, it still renders in 720p and upscales to 1080p, which goes back to what naoan addressed

Quote:The Wii does not play DvD's natively (or didn't, a patch came out in Japan) but it is capable of doing so. Nintendo just chose not to deal with the licensing issues.

This statement implies that the wii is capable of playing hd natively(they bought much more expensive gpu units but didnt want to pay the licensing costs?), which is absurd

Quote:I was always under the impression the more similar the hardware the easier emulation was to accomplish.

No, expecting the wii to magically be able to render in higher definition, by recompiling dolphin to powerpc(with no SSE support by the way) and making a plugin that uses graphics drivers much more ineffective than the ones on the default wii os, is the most ridiculous thing that i ever heard
(07-28-2010, 01:31 AM)tetrahedron Wrote: [ -> ]You are still talking about upscaling, in addition the wii only renders in 480p, and you are under the impression that everyone was on standard definition until hdmi came along, this is simply not the case

Before HDMI people were doing 720P/1080i which the wii does now, not 1080p. I'm not going to argue where the HD barrier is because I'm pretty sure marketing just moves the goal post as the tech improves.

I acknowledge my idea wouldn't work with Dolphin but the idea a software solution would be possible if you were on a digital signal is not as absurd as your insisting.
(07-28-2010, 04:56 AM)Nobugme Wrote: [ -> ]Before HDMI people were doing 720P/1080i which the wii does now, not 1080p.

Wrong

Quote:I acknowledge my idea wouldn't work with Dolphin but the idea a software solution would be possible if you were on a digital signal is not as absurd as your insisting.
...what?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5