Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New CPU, please help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi, I want to go for a quad core.

The CPU I use atm is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+. My question is: Will Dolphin be faster if I buy AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz? Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
What do you guys think? I can overclock that quad core to 3.6 GH\ and it'll be still stable. (Readed is some reviews.)

Sorry for my bad english Sad.
of course it will up the performance in dolphin! what about your motherboard? does it support the cpu?
I think so, they are both socket 940.

Ooh wait, I see something. My CPU is Socket AM2 (940) and the other one is Socket AM2+, does this matter? (the +)?
(05-01-2010, 01:46 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]I think so, they are both socket 940.

Ooh wait, I see something. My CPU is Socket AM2 (940) and the other one is Socket AM2+, does this matter? (the +)?

give me the full mobo name...and yeah i think am2+ is backwards compatible with am2, not sure tho.
Ohwkay, maybe this will help me out:

CPU:
Code:
Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Code Name: Brisbane
Package: Socket AM2 (940)
Technology: 65nm

Motherboard:
Code:
Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
Model: MS-7388
Chipset Vendor: AMD
Chipset Model: 790X
Check the mobo socket. A phenom II 940 needs socket AM2+ or AM3 but your mobo chipset is 790X so it should support it. It says socket AM2 but I think that's only because your cpu is designed for AM2.

Edit: Just looked at motherboards on the MSI products page and the only mobo they have for socket 790X is listed as model "790X-G45".
this is the CPU support list for your Mobo id look at it and go by that.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K9A2_C...88%29.html
But yes your Mobo does support it. Youll need to flash your bios to the latest version though make sure you do it before your install the cpu,
and another thing socket AM3 and AM2+ CPU's will operate in AM2 boards
Unfortunately the mix is incompatible the other way round, meaning today's AM2 CPU's will not function in AM2+ and AM3 boards. Additionally, AM2+ processors won't work in AM3 boards due to AM3 lacking a DDR2 memory controller (which AM2+ requires).
Thanks for that list :o
So AM2 is equal to AM2+?
(05-01-2010, 03:58 AM)darkshadw Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that list :o
So AM2 is equal to AM2+?

read my above post again i added more info for you explaining it in more detail
Quote:and another thing socket AM3 and AM2+ CPU's will operate in AM2 boards

That can't be true because I know my friends phenom II 955 (AM3) will work in a AM3 or AM2+ board but not an AM2 (it says so right on the box).
Pages: 1 2 3 4