Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New CPU, please help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It will depend on if the manufacturer supplies a bios that it will work with it.
Also the board may not support the wattage of the cpu. AM3 itself didnt change much on pin placement might wanna do more research on it. Am3 can run in am2 sockets it was designed to be backwords compatable. But yet its still on the manufatcurere to provide a bios that can support it. And i just looked up the 955 and it still applies to that cpu aswel it is compatable with am2. as are all AM3's And you can look at the documentation of the cpu itself no where does it say a 955 will not work in a AM2 socket so that statement is false.
Just looked it up on wikipedia. AM2 cpus will work in AM2 and AM2+ boards but not in AM3. AM2+ cpus will work with AM2 and AM2+ boards but not in AM3. AM3 cpus will work in AM3 and AM2+ boards but only some AM2 boards like you said.
(05-01-2010, 04:20 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Just looked it up on wikipedia. AM2 cpus will work in AM2 and AM2+ boards but not in AM3. AM2+ cpus will work with AM2 and AM2+ boards but not in AM3. AM3 cpus will work in AM3 and AM2+ boards but only some AM2 boards like you said.

I don't know much about this, so excuse me for all my questions, but my motherboard accepts AM2+ and AM3? Blush
Well yes and no. am2+ will work with am2 yes but am3 is not Gauranteed to work in a am2 socket unless the mobo manufacturer provides support for it.
Like i pointed out earlier though your Mobo supports the cpu you wanted.
the main reason the cpu's work like they do is because of how the are coded and Manufactured. AM3 processors have only 938 pins atm even though the am3 socket has a placement for 941. Am2 sockets and cpu's are 940 pins.
Sorry if im not explaining it well Japanese is my first language and i make a horrible teacher.
Hardware is what i specialize in, but anyhow this is my last post for today im going to sleep.
(05-01-2010, 04:08 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That can't be true because I know my friends phenom II 955 (AM3) will work in a AM3 or AM2+ board but not an AM2 (it says so right on the box).

Here's the matter : Phenom II X4 900 series models having a "5" at the end of their reference number are AM3 preocessors : actually 945, 955 and 965. These processors officially work on AM3 and AM2+ sockets (even though a few AM2 motherboards seem to work with them) and have both DDR2 and DDR3 onboard controllers. The Phenom II X4 940 has been the first Phenom II processor to be released, and integrates no DDR3 controller but a single DDR2 one (the AM3 stuff was not fully complete at this time), so it is officially compatible with AM2 and AM2+ sockets but will definitely not work on any AM3 motherboard.
So your motherboard should have no problem with the Ph II 940. However, you may need to flash your BIOS to a newer version.
So it is recommended to choose a CPU like Ph II X4 940 becouse there's a 0 on the end and not a 5? (I just want to be sure what I buy and do Wink).
Quote:So it is recommended to choose a CPU like Ph II X4 940 becouse there's a 0 on the end and not a 5? (I just want to be sure what I buy and do Wink).

That is correct.

@DarzgL

Already knew that I just wanted to point that out to death since he said in his original post that am3 cpus work with am3, am2+, and am2 and that's not necessarily true, just sometimes. But apparently he already knew that as well.

Quote:Sorry if im not explaining it well Japanese is my first language and i make a horrible teacher.
Hardware is what i specialize in, but anyhow this is my last post for today im going to sleep.

Are you kidding me? Your English is great. The only problems that I notice are that you don't capitalize the letter I and you say "im" instead of "I'm". If Japanese really is your first language then your spelling is nothing short of amazing. You explained it well he's just new to this, which is fine since we all were at some point.
I'm just starting to learn Japanese :o and yeah your English is great! Better than mine Big Grin.
Thanks NaturalViolende! Now I know what one I need to buy Big Grin!
Nice cpu, I'd say Big Grin
(05-01-2010, 06:05 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]@DarzgL

Already knew that I just wanted to point that out to death since he said in his original post that am3 cpus work with am3, am2+, and am2 and that's not necessarily true, just sometimes. But apparently he already knew that as well.

Ok. I just used your post to explain AMD's notation system (be careful, this is only applicable to 900 series).
Pages: 1 2 3 4