Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HTPC videocard decision
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi all, I recently learnt about this great project and would like to give it a try on my new HTPC which will arrive any day no.

The main specs of the htpc:

Intel Core I3 530 2.93Ghz
4GB PC10600 (DDR3-1333)
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
Windows7 - 64bit

At first I wanted to use the intel embedded gpu, which would be fine for most things. But it probably won't be enough for Dolphin Wink There are a few videocards which are an option for me, I would prefer to have a passively cooled one and then it also has to actually fit in my case. For now I have the following options, my question is if any of these cards will be good enough to use dolphin properly?

Ati HD4670
Geforce GT220
Geforce GT240
Ati HD 4850
Ati HD 4650
Ati HD 5450
Ati HD 5750

I already have some old Geforce 9400GT but that one really is pretty damn slow.

Any comments?
i suggest the 5750 or GT240...for better energy efficiancy, since you're using htpc, i suggest ati 5670.
google and u'll see how good it is. it actually is better than a 9800gt so i suggest you get that one altho not in the list
(04-15-2010, 05:33 AM)GundamQuatro Wrote: [ -> ]i suggest the 5750 or GT240...for better energy efficiancy, since you're using htpc, i suggest ati 5670.
google and u'll see how good it is. it actually is better than a 9800gt so i suggest you get that one altho not in the list

Hmmm, interesting option as well indeed...

Then it's still a matter if it will actually fit in the case but yeah, I'll look into those and it some more Smile Thanks for the reply!
(04-15-2010, 05:59 PM)dagrim1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2010, 05:33 AM)GundamQuatro Wrote: [ -> ]i suggest the 5750 or GT240...for better energy efficiancy, since you're using htpc, i suggest ati 5670.

Hmmm, interesting option as well indeed...

Then it's still a matter if it will actually fit in the case but yeah, I'll look into those and it some more Smile Thanks for the reply!
i don't think it will be a problem, look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4l9Kl8hIeM
Dolphin is CPU powered so your IGP shouldn't be a problem !
Quote:Dolphin is CPU powered so your IGP shouldn't be a problem !

Don't listen to him/her. While it is true that dolphin will run great on even a shitty gpu igp crosses the line into to shitty. And if it's an intel igp then dolphin probably won't work at all (only the most recent intl igp can run dolphin, and even then you'll get terrible fps across the board). Only the absolute latest nvidia/ati igp will be able to obtain a good framerate (9 series igp from nvidia or 4000/5000 series from ati).
(04-16-2010, 04:05 AM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is CPU powered so your IGP shouldn't be a problem !

well, it is kind of a problem. We all know that dolphin is cpu dependant...that doesn't mean u shuld leave your cpu in the dust. it will really draw you back bcuz of some reasons:
1.can't crate opengl renderer
2.CAN create GL renderer but with choppy and skippy rendering.
Hmmm, I'll probably put my Geforce 9400GT in it at first anyway... It's a videocard I have lying around anyway (I'll give the IGP a try first as well though). The new videocard is more of a future, soon to be, thing..

Cheers again Smile
9400GT is plenty. Use it.
(04-16-2010, 04:16 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Dolphin is CPU powered so your IGP shouldn't be a problem !

Don't listen to him/her. While it is true that dolphin will run great on even a shitty gpu igp crosses the line into to shitty. And if it's an intel igp then dolphin probably won't work at all (only the most recent intl igp can run dolphin, and even then you'll get terrible fps across the board). Only the absolute latest nvidia/ati igp will be able to obtain a good framerate (9 series igp from nvidia or 4000/5000 series from ati).

Why not listening to me ? Flamer?

The i3 IGP is nothing compare to any intel "motherbord" IGP . Have you any Idea of what you are talkin about ?

To Dagrim1 , tell us how it turns out with your i3 IGP !

Cheers!
Pages: 1 2 3