Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Candles work so much better than IR bar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I bought myself one of these battery powered IR bars, however it doesnt really work I cant really control the cursor with it.

Using 2 candles works perfectly however so I know everything is setup ok, but with the IR bar the cursor is jumpy and dissapears

Im guessing its probably something to do with the signal not being strong enough from the battery IR bar?

Im thinking of soldering in a USB port to give it constant power so I dont have to replace batteries anyway.

I need to get the bar working really though as I dont like the idea of using candles

Just didnt know if anyone knew what was causing the IR bar to be so poor?

Thanks
If you could make a wiimote out of the wax as well it would be even better Smile

I think what is best is probably to make your own IR bar. Just if you have some basic knowlage in electronics you can just buy two strong IR LEDs and hook them up to a standard 9V battery. If you google DIY IR sensor bar you should find a complete guide to making one.
Yeah I have seen the guides, however would prefer to use USB rather than batteries just because batteries are a pair for going flat and its more work, much simpler is the computer just powers the thing.

Either way still doesnt explain why the shop bought IR unit isnt working corrently? Is it just that the IR LEDs are poor?

Or could it be the batteries need replacing already, dont want to go out and buy another 4xaaa if theres nothing wrong with these and its just that the bar is rubbish.
Ummm there are many different reasons whay it might be shitty.
But you can easily make one that runs through USB, just take a usb cable from anything split it open. Inside there should be many wires, but you only need the red and the black.
The reason that it might be a bit weak is maybe that the wii only supply the USB ports 5V i know that the USB port on my laptop can support 12v, but some computers only 5V. The other reason is just that they have bad LEDs.
If you dont want it to run on batteries you can even take a charger from some broken electric that supply between 9 - 12V and just cut of the end and use the wires...
Does it matter what size LED's I use if I make my own?

3mm or 5mm better?

Also what viewing angle is better, Im guessing a winder one so a 40 degree over a 20 degree?

Im guessing not if a candle flame works fine.
I would use a bigger one, but you have to thing effect as well (Watt) so if you have a bigger one you might need a bit more volt. Viewing angle does not matter really, and this is also another problem with the factory ones I think the fact that they concealed around 70% of the light does not really help. They could just have made the whole LED visable, sticking out of the chassi (case).
I've got Logic3 Wireless sensor bar and I've got no problems with it. Sometimes you need to be 3-4 steps away for sensor bar so it will work fine.
Cheers Johnblunt Ive bought everything I need I think:

Will be using 2 of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V..._500wt_975

1 of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...1190wt_732

And a USB cable I have laying around, plus Ive got loads of single core wire laying about too.

Will then solder it all together and install it onto my tv, they wont be moving from position so no need for bars or anything will just have 2 tiny LEDs poking out somewhere.

Is there a correct distance apart they should be?
(03-17-2010, 10:08 PM)nosound97 Wrote: [ -> ]I've got Logic3 Wireless sensor bar and I've got no problems with it. Sometimes you need to be 3-4 steps away for sensor bar so it will work fine.

Mine was about 1/4 of the price of the logic3 ones, it was really cheap and you get what you pay for!

Building my own will be much better anyway as I dont have to find somewhere to put the bar as my TV is on the wall and was struggling this way I just have to attach 2 tiny LEDs
my wireless sensor bar also sucked...sticked to candles since then...works just fine and it's actually cheaper than those batteries ^^
Yeah batteries are not cheap, I dont really have anywhere between me and the telly for candles though.

So a self powered tiny USB soltuion is ideal for myself
Pages: 1 2 3